Everglades K-8 Center

Public | PK-8 | 1160 students

Posted October 26, 2013

I feel that this school has a lot of potential. There are good teachers and bad ones, same for families. You will find that anywhere. The one thing that Everglades k-8 fails to do is compete with other middle schools to keep their good students. Other middle schools offer many more electives or magnet programs to keep students from drifting off to charter schools. Everglades' approach is "let them leave." Our school fails to move with the times despite the emphasis on technology. Parents and students need choices not IPADS. Everglades needs to find its niche to keep good students from leaving. Aside from students leaving due to lack of choices, good families are leaving because of the element of students filtering in. Seriously, when you start seeing 48 year old, tattooed grannies picking up their pierced ear, first grade grandson, it is time to go.

Posted August 23, 2013

Our child has begun her 4th year at this school, and we are very satisfied with the quality of the education she is receiving. No school is perfect and there are certain aspects which could certainly improve. However, her teachers to date have been knowledgeable, caring and the study material has been always relevant and challenging. Our child is always happy to go to school, which is as important as academics, although not always as happy with the amount of homework she brings daily, which doesn't leave much time for free play. The school offers a EFL (Extended Foreign Language) program in Spanish, and a Gifted Class in Language Arts and Reading. Our child participates in both programs and we are happy with the level of learning. We would appreciate more communication regarding some school events or sharing the students' achievements with the school community. The school would need a covered gymnasium to encourage more P.E./sports activities, and some recess would be beneficial for the children, although this, unfortunately, has more to do with the school system that the school itself. The level of security is adequate. We recommend this school as a good learning center.

Posted August 19, 2013

My school is amazing!! We all come together and work with our staff and parents are always so helpful. The best teachers so compassionate with the kids.

Posted April 9, 2013

kindergarten is being given an excessive amount of homework daily. It should only take an average of 30 minutes a day of mostly independent work. They are also receiving test on spelling words every week adding to this excess of work. By testing the spelling words in kindergarten the school is going against all mandated learning guides for the Miami-Dade county public school. I ve had various meetings with the school s faculty and all they can say is having the spelling as well as the length of homework is an administrative decision. I have met the principal various times as well. Anytime I bring up the subject, she assures me that "what she says goes, and that she will not be changing anything." Our children deserve leadership that will follow rules,listen to concerns and not overwork them just to further their own careers. Parents should not have to call the district to remind them how to do their job correctly.

Posted May 31, 2012

I am the teacher of that program and would like to clarify a few things. At the orientation meeting, it was explained in detail what the teachers would be looking for, appropriate language skills, social skills, adaptation skills, and behaviors. We wish we could welcome all 53 applicants to the program but unfortunately we can only accept 8 as role models. Parents are always welcome inside my classroom, but not during the instructional day. I can discuss any concerns before or after school hours. Most of the children that interviewed came in, participated, and enjoyed themselves. That is my goal. I want to make this a wonderful experience for the child so we can see his/her full potential and we want the child excited with the prospect of being in the class. If a child is acting in a way that may be harmful to him/herself or others, cannot adapt within a reasonable time, or seems miserable, I will most definitely contact the parent to pick up the child. I do not want to cause emotional stress to any child . My classroom is warm and inviting place where children find the love of learning.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 10, 2012

The school is very clean everything looks very organized which does explain the school's good ratings. I took my son for an evaluation there. One thing that I did not like very much is the fact that the teachers do not let you go inside the class so you can know what type of environment your child will be in. Their policy is that children must get accustomed to going inside the class alone. I respected that ok. After I left my son at that school I headed back to work. Five minutes when I was getting back to work I get a phone call from the teacher to pick up my son now. I said "Wow I'm already heading to work". She very coldy said "You have to pick up your son now he hit the teacher". I agree my son's behavior was inappropriate. So I get there to pick up my son and I apologized to the teacher. She just looked at me and very coldy said "Ok thank you". I give this school a low rating for first not allowing me to go into the class and check out the environment and two for not giving me any suggestions as to my child's behavior. He has done other evaluations at other schools and behaved really good so it makes me wonder.

Posted March 1, 2012

I love this school my kids have been here four years now but This school has really changed a lot since the new principal,she never goes out of her office and a lot of parents have never met her,there's no security kids are running wild ,no supervision and one coach can't handle 500 kids .I think we need to come together to have a better foundation ,and more structured school setting for a better and safe education.

Posted February 29, 2012

i am an involved parent who has a sixth grader at Everglades K-8 Center. He has attended the school since second grade. I work with the PTSA, teachers and administration. Currently there are many activities for students to participate in. The music program is outstanding as is the art program. The academic program is first class and my child loves going to school. If I have a question or concern, the principal will always find time to talk to me. I am vvery happy with the school and the education my child is receiving.

Posted October 21, 2011

My children attend this school and I have been very happy with the quality of the school and the teachers (particularly Mr. Guadano). While parental involvement is substantial, many of the teachers are wonderful and dedicated and go above and beyond to help their students. I am particularly thrilled with the tremendous cultural and ethnic diversity of the school. My children truly have the opportunity to mix with and learn from children of all nationalities, colors, religions, and cultures.

Posted August 28, 2011

I have been in this school for 8 years and all i have to say is that everglades has seen better days. After the new principal the school started to degrade in almost all aspects. The math department at everglades is mediocre and many students now are in high school and barely understand half of what the teachers are teaching due to a lack of a strong math foundation. There are barely any after school activities and much of them are not worth it since they are charging you triple of what you would expect to pay at a league . Parent involvement is almost non existent and the ptsa is a joke. Back in the glory days of everglades their were so many different clubs and sports, but now every sport is a joke and ALL of the ptsa's money goes to the cheerleading program and i dont understand how that benifts the our students education. If i was a parent i would NOT let my child attend everglades due to the poor education standards. I am ashamed of saying that i am an alumni of everglades k-8 center.

Posted August 21, 2011

I've only been here for a couple of months, but It's so boring here. there are like no events, the yearbook entertaining, and overall this isn't a very fun school. plus when i walk to school the crossing guard is doing her job, but the security is usually gossiping with another parent. i think we should have field-trips, talent shows, and afterschool sporting events. if money is an issue then they should ask the parents who wants to be a volunteer coach, and they could always charge a dollar admission for talent shows. and they should really give more details about their rare events. they say they are going to do something, and i'm always asking, when and where. this school needs a lot of improvement.

Posted July 3, 2011

this school deserves an a+ its the most incresible school ive ever been too i was in it for a year an some months unfortuenatly for me i had to trnafor because of where i lived but i made the most amazing and awsome friends there i miss them so much and i hope i could see them again especially the teachers are amzazing in this school i highly recommend it to any child they will have the best time of there life in this school i love the p.e teaches themusic teacher im not too fond about but not all schools are perfect i loved this school and i hope my kids can gp to this school when they are old enough because i want them to enjoy this school like how i did

Posted February 15, 2011

My daughter has been going to this school since kindergarten & is now in 2nd grade.she is in the gifted program since first grade. Being my first child I was eager to enjoy every moment I could with her. This school is nothing I ever wanted for my child. This school lacks activities for holiday's as well as parent evolvement opportunities. My daughter's teacher for gifted is the only thing I can say is an A+ about this school. The security conducting traffic morning and after school does a horrible job!!!! She is too busy finding gossip in the neighborhood! It will break my heart to take my daughter out of this school because she is close to her friends, but I believe charter school is going to be our best option.

Posted November 3, 2009

Everglades is an A rated school and the teachers care about their students.

Posted September 13, 2009

im an 8th grader in this school im so sad ths year im leaving. ive been i9n band and have had alot of fun in p.e. this good and to me the best teacher there i mrs.churcill although i dont have her i make the time in a day to see her she rocks, ive never met a teacher like her.

Posted August 25, 2008

Everglades K-8 Center under the leadership of Dr. Doylene Tarver has been rewarding for all students, faculty and the Weschester community. She is truly the principal who really cares if the children suceed.

Posted July 18, 2008

As a former student at Everglades, I must say that this school has its good and its bad. It is a small school, meaning that there are more chances that a student gets individual attention from parents and counselors. The teachers are very prepared and knowledgeable. They actually know what they are talking about. The counselors actually try to create your schedule and accommodate everyone. The counselors are always available to speak to, and they will listen. They put together great activities like book fairs, pep rallies, and motivate the students to excel. However, the school is a very controlled environment. I think in my 5 years there I only saw 3 fights, and they were taken care of extremely quickly. Yet, if a student continues with the feeder pattern into Miami Coral Park Senior High School, they enter a larger school with less of a controlled environment. Also, there less opportunities to compete in athletic events unless thestudent is enrolled in a PE class

Posted May 8, 2008

i am a student at Everglades k-8 Center (i am in middle school) i have to say that we have the best teachers at our school and i learn alot P.E has to be taken in both 6th and 7th grade. i actually enjoy going to school since the taechers make it fun to learn they just dont throw you everything at once they explain it untill you understand it. the teachers here make learning fun and not boring. my favorite teacher at this school is Ms.Chuchill, my langusge arts teacher she is the best and the nicest teacher i have ever had. my other teachers are good too like ms.collier, mrs.pedraja, mr.guadano atc

Posted June 6, 2007

All I can say, we had our first year of chess. Im very happy with the support we got from everyone. I thank our state governer,for giving our kids programs to grow. You the parents make the different

Posted May 25, 2006

The school during the year 2005-2006 has improved somewhat. I still feel that parent participation is not encouraged. The principal talks the talk but not the walk. Dr Traver also says her door is always open but not her ears. Children in kindergarten and first grade do not have physical education because 'it is not important', yet the U.S.A has a large increasing amount of children that will be overweight. Too much is placed on tests and children are not really learning to read and write. In younger children too many subjects and not enough comprehension. The results of this failure will soon be seen.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

112 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

136 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

136 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

143 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

143 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

117 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

167 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• ELL/ESL Coordinator

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom