Everglades K-8 Center 3

Posted October 26, 2013
I feel that this school has a lot of potential. There are good teachers and bad ones, same for families. You will find that anywhere. The one thing that Everglades k-8 fails to do is compete with other middle schools to keep their good students. Other middle schools offer many more electives or magnet programs to keep students from drifting off to charter schools. Everglades' approach is "let them leave." Our school fails to move with the times despite the emphasis on technology. Parents and students need choices not IPADS. Everglades needs to find its niche to keep good students from leaving. Aside from students leaving due to lack of choices, good families are leaving because of the element of students filtering in. Seriously, when you start seeing 48 year old, tattooed grannies picking up their pierced ear, first grade grandson, it is time to go.

Posted August 23, 2013
Our child has begun her 4th year at this school, and we are very satisfied with the quality of the education she is receiving. No school is perfect and there are certain aspects which could certainly improve. However, her teachers to date have been knowledgeable, caring and the study material has been always relevant and challenging. Our child is always happy to go to school, which is as important as academics, although not always as happy with the amount of homework she brings daily, which doesn't leave much time for free play. The school offers a EFL (Extended Foreign Language) program in Spanish, and a Gifted Class in Language Arts and Reading. Our child participates in both programs and we are happy with the level of learning. We would appreciate more communication regarding some school events or sharing the students' achievements with the school community. The school would need a covered gymnasium to encourage more P.E./sports activities, and some recess would be beneficial for the children, although this, unfortunately, has more to do with the school system that the school itself. The level of security is adequate. We recommend this school as a good learning center.

Posted August 19, 2013
My school is amazing!! We all come together and work with our staff and parents are always so helpful. The best teachers so compassionate with the kids.

Everglades K-8 Center 1

Posted April 09, 2013
kindergarten is being given an excessive amount of homework daily. It should only take an average of 30 minutes a day of mostly independent work. They are also receiving test on spelling words every week adding to this excess of work. By testing the spelling words in kindergarten the school is going against all mandated learning guides for the Miami-Dade county public school. I ve had various meetings with the school s faculty and all they can say is having the spelling as well as the length of homework is an administrative decision. I have met the principal various times as well. Anytime I bring up the subject, she assures me that "what she says goes, and that she will not be changing anything." Our children deserve leadership that will follow rules,listen to concerns and not overwork them just to further their own careers. Parents should not have to call the district to remind them how to do their job correctly.

Everglades K-8 Center 4

Posted May 31, 2012
I am the teacher of that program and would like to clarify a few things. At the orientation meeting, it was explained in detail what the teachers would be looking for, appropriate language skills, social skills, adaptation skills, and behaviors. We wish we could welcome all 53 applicants to the program but unfortunately we can only accept 8 as role models. Parents are always welcome inside my classroom, but not during the instructional day. I can discuss any concerns before or after school hours. Most of the children that interviewed came in, participated, and enjoyed themselves. That is my goal. I want to make this a wonderful experience for the child so we can see his/her full potential and we want the child excited with the prospect of being in the class. If a child is acting in a way that may be harmful to him/herself or others, cannot adapt within a reasonable time, or seems miserable, I will most definitely contact the parent to pick up the child. I do not want to cause emotional stress to any child . My classroom is warm and inviting place where children find the love of learning.

Everglades K-8 Center 2

Posted May 10, 2012
The school is very clean everything looks very organized which does explain the school's good ratings. I took my son for an evaluation there. One thing that I did not like very much is the fact that the teachers do not let you go inside the class so you can know what type of environment your child will be in. Their policy is that children must get accustomed to going inside the class alone. I respected that ok. After I left my son at that school I headed back to work. Five minutes when I was getting back to work I get a phone call from the teacher to pick up my son now. I said "Wow I'm already heading to work". She very coldy said "You have to pick up your son now he hit the teacher". I agree my son's behavior was inappropriate. So I get there to pick up my son and I apologized to the teacher. She just looked at me and very coldy said "Ok thank you". I give this school a low rating for first not allowing me to go into the class and check out the environment and two for not giving me any suggestions as to my child's behavior. He has done other evaluations at other schools and behaved really good so it makes me wonder.

Everglades K-8 Center 3

Posted March 01, 2012
I love this school my kids have been here four years now but This school has really changed a lot since the new principal,she never goes out of her office and a lot of parents have never met her,there's no security kids are running wild ,no supervision and one coach can't handle 500 kids .I think we need to come together to have a better foundation ,and more structured school setting for a better and safe education.

Posted February 29, 2012
i am an involved parent who has a sixth grader at Everglades K-8 Center. He has attended the school since second grade. I work with the PTSA, teachers and administration. Currently there are many activities for students to participate in. The music program is outstanding as is the art program. The academic program is first class and my child loves going to school. If I have a question or concern, the principal will always find time to talk to me. I am vvery happy with the school and the education my child is receiving.

Posted October 21, 2011
My children attend this school and I have been very happy with the quality of the school and the teachers (particularly Mr. Guadano). While parental involvement is substantial, many of the teachers are wonderful and dedicated and go above and beyond to help their students. I am particularly thrilled with the tremendous cultural and ethnic diversity of the school. My children truly have the opportunity to mix with and learn from children of all nationalities, colors, religions, and cultures.

Everglades K-8 Center 1

Posted August 28, 2011
I have been in this school for 8 years and all i have to say is that everglades has seen better days. After the new principal the school started to degrade in almost all aspects. The math department at everglades is mediocre and many students now are in high school and barely understand half of what the teachers are teaching due to a lack of a strong math foundation. There are barely any after school activities and much of them are not worth it since they are charging you triple of what you would expect to pay at a league . Parent involvement is almost non existent and the ptsa is a joke. Back in the glory days of everglades their were so many different clubs and sports, but now every sport is a joke and ALL of the ptsa's money goes to the cheerleading program and i dont understand how that benifts the our students education. If i was a parent i would NOT let my child attend everglades due to the poor education standards. I am ashamed of saying that i am an alumni of everglades k-8 center.

Everglades K-8 Center
8375 Southwest 16th Street, Miami, FL  33155
Last modified Everglades K-8 Center is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Everglades K-8 Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top