No rating

Balere Language Academy

Charter | PK-8

Posted August 24, 2011

Congratulations to Balere for making an 'A.' I was part of the team for most of the year, but because of budget issues, I was laid off in early March. My daughter was in Kindergarten there last year, and she is currently being tested for the gifted program at Miami-Dade County Public Schools. The Kindergarten classroom was crowded last year, but the students did learn!!! As for the rest of the school, it was a tough year, but I am very proud of everything that was achieved. Even though I was laid off, I held no ill will toward the school. I understood that it was a budget issue. I even came in to help sub in Kindergarten during FCAT testing so that they could use all of the teachers on staff as proctors. It truly was a team effort, and the school should be proud. I considered bringing my daughter back to Balere when I heard about the 'A,' and the fact that they were back in the good graces of the district, but my daughter has endured a lot of change in the past year. I will probably change her next year.

Posted August 13, 2011

To the July 18th parent: We are so in tune with our students, we know EXACTLY who you are. The letter was not a personal letter, it is a letter that is sent by the Director to EVERY student with a C or less, because grades do fluctuate. It is mean as a wake up call for those parents who don't check their grades on-line or communicate with teachers. You were not helping with HW, as he was late 4 times a week and you never got off of your cell phone to see about him. Besides that, the teacher that finished KG worked with him PERSONALLY to ensure understanding, which is why he finished the term with A's and B's. I hope, at his new private school you become informed and more involved. We sent home many notices about the FCAT to parents and you should have noticed the 8 Staff Members from the District that were present in EVERY SINGLE CLASSROOM while our students took the FCAT. But you would have had to have been on time for that. :-)
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 5, 2011

To the June 1 Parent... I wonder if you ever came to any of the Board Meetings, or PTO monthly meetings... or took advantage of the FREE tutoring we had on Saturdays for the entire year? What about FCAT night we had where we detailed the test, types of questions & how best to prepare? No? Well, the literacy nights where we gave away books and tips on how to build a better reader? Math nights? Yes, it was a rough year for us, we did have a bit of turnover and amidst the District being there everyday, we still made an A this year. Your child failed the FCAT, I am truly sorry. The students that came to Saturday tutoring at least 70% of the time, ALL passed. Did your child come? Or were you one of the parents who chose to send their son to baseball/golf before the Reading and Math tutoring? The principal CHOSE to teach Math this year because she couldn't find anyone to do it to her liking. The scores are evident that this was a good decision. Pretty committed huh? I hope whatever school you do move them to, you take advantage of all that is being offered. We can work around the parents, but it's much easier on the school and the child when the parent is INVOLVED.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 5, 2011

Congratulations for making an A this year!!! I know it wasn't easy!! Continued success to the students and staff!!! Who cares whether or not I like the Administration. They are THERE and ALWAYS available. Honestly, we don't have the Parent support that other Charters do, because of the area we are in, but kudos to the Administration for taking on the challenge!

Posted June 6, 2011

I myself is a parent but my children went to public school and they ALWAYS complained about there lunch. you talk about the lunch served at Balere but have you ever tryed it, it was like a home cooked meal. BBQ chicken, salad, yellow rice, rice and vegetable, chicken nuggets, fish stickes, hamburgers with pickles etc........... so don't talk about the lunch. And the staff always put the children first. yes your children hard to believe right. I always say that Balere was a day care for your kuds. How can the teachers help your kids if you dont help them yourselfs.

Posted November 18, 2010

My son has had 4 teachers and numerous substitutes since the school year has started. The school is in F school and the teachers and administration have absolutely nothing to say about it. I took my son out and now is in a A+ school with one teacher.

Posted November 4, 2010

Worst Ever could see or could be... How could Miami Dade County Waist our taxes our money to spend on such schools ... As parent , there is no teacher to make common. The first Grade Did not have Teacher for past 9 weeks, Every week they changed teachers. Principal promised that the teachers will stay but in another hand she let her best teachers to go because they are disagreed with her point of view . The worst principal we have ever seen. I wish I had enough space to explain why I am so disappointed of the school....every week pay for this paint the back yard for kids. what ever we did, did not work.... On behalf of all disappointed parents please save your child and look for another school, we are hopping for change of principal. Please do not waist our taxes in such school. parent.....

Posted April 21, 2010

This school is always complaining about not having enough funds for books and supplies, even food for the cafeteria yet they are installing cameras have flat screen t.Vs in the office, redecorated the whole office with new furniture while there are classes that are falling apart. This school came out on the news i believe it was channel 4 they were crying out for help saying they wanted to gather 1 million dollars to bail them out of what?? This is ridiculous. Im taking my child out of this school the administration only care about themselves and the so called lunch here is sad.

Posted February 2, 2010

My son attended the school for 2008-09school yesr. I was extremely pleased with the teachers as well as the administration. We ended up moving to another county and I only wish i could of brought the school with us.Many schools here do not even offer Spanish classes let alone immersion.My son learned a great deal at Balere and i welcomed the family atmosphere.

Posted February 1, 2010

They have good goals for every student, but unfortunately, seems like there are not enough funds for the school and every teacher is kind of frustaraded for that. But, teachers are very good. What is terrible, is the lunch for the kids, not like Miami Dade public schools's menu.

Posted June 22, 2009

I have been in this school 5 years. The principal knows the names of everyone. The teachers are super nice and you learn a lot. This year an egyptian came to the school in the last 4 months of school. He did not know any Spanish or English. Before you know it he knew a bunch of English and Spanish.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 7, 2009

I have had experience with the Public school system and UNTIL I found Balere my opinion was not good. Balere is a big family where the children learn and are safe. The principal is always available to the parents and the children and believe it or not she knows them all. She knows their personalities, weaknesses and strengths.

Posted October 20, 2008

My child just started the Kindergarten program at Balere Language Academy and he loves it! He's excited about school and about Spanish. I plan to keep him in this school until graduation. I am very satisfied with his teacher, progress in Spanish, and school administration. The best!

Posted October 17, 2008

My child began recently in the bilingual program and has learned alot. She had a hard time, but once the routine was formed she has a handle on it. She has learned to transfer knowledge from Spanish to English and the vocabulary curriculum is awesome! Way more detailed than at the regular public schools.

Posted November 13, 2007

My kids have been at the school since it opened three years ago. We speak English at home, even though my husband and I are of Hispanic backgrounds. I absolutely love the Spanish immersion and did find that in K and 1st grades it can be a bit confusing. But my third grader is now reading and writing fluently in Spanish and English. The only issue I have with the school is a bit of lack of organization and a lack of extracurricular activities. Otherwise, wonderful!

Posted September 9, 2007

My children also attended this school for three semester. I transferred my children out of this school because the science and social studies were both in Spanish. I tutored my children in every way possible but when test day came they always failed. The test questions are in Spanish and the answers also have to be written in Spanish. This would be ok if my children had learned some Spanish previously but they hadn't. The end result is my children no longer want to learn, hear, or try anything that is Spanish. So please encourage your child to do his/her best but never force.

Posted October 25, 2006

I agree that the security can be a bit overwhelming at times, but I too would rather my child safe and it take me a bit longer to pick them up after school than knowing anyone can take them home! To the other parent in the April 2006 review... the school is very up front with parents in explaining their bilingual program and the entire premise is to learn Spanish in content, unlike many other schools. The curriculum is spelled out on their website. The school is very small and everyone is willing to help you when you need it. The principal lady is there more than any other school I know. I really like how everyone there knows all of the students, its like a little family. I couldn't ask for anything better.

Posted September 20, 2006

I think that the school is excellent my child is a second grader student and it is true that probably the sound of the letters can be a little bid confuse for the childrens but this is when a challenging student comes up. I think that the teachers are great, the school has a wonderful campus, every one is always willing to help you and the security is excellent (a little bid exagerate sometimes and annoying)but hey we want to go to work in peace knowing that our child's school is safe. I think that we as a parent, we need to be more involved in our child's education and try to see how the school can be more succesful for ours childrens. thanks.

Posted April 21, 2006

School is new, and a bit disorganized. My son has been in this school for two years, and he has proven that their bilingual program is confusing for kids. It is true that kids can learn more than one language at the same time, but my soon-to-be second-grader is confusing the sounds of the letters in Spanish and English. I also dislike the fact that his Science and Social studies classes are in Spanish, which puts him at a dissadvantage from other kids.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• This school did not receive a grade in 2011-2012.
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "F".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

• Ms. Rocka Malik
Fax number
  • (305) 232-4535

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now