732 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Definitely there are favoritism's. impossible to get into the full PreK program because they decide upon 1 interview with the child. The children have 4 years old, OBVIOUSLY they will cry as soon they arrive to an unknown class with an unknown teacher and kids. They will not be their selves for that whole day. And this is a mistake. They are leaving out possibly the most achieved students and picking the wrong ones. Very unfair. PreK teacher was heartbroken, but the Principal didn't even try to reach us to give us any explanation. I just think is unfair to give preference to people that comes from outside, than to the children who are already there (and doing well in the previous class). Shame shame !!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some of the techer are good and easy to communicate with. We had one teacher that was hard to communicate with. And on days my son was sick with asthma and a missed test he was not given the opportunity to make up the test.

Develops character: Neutral

I don't have enough experience with the school to make a judgement on this topic.

My son went from being on honor roll (all A's and B's) at a Chicago magnet school to getting a C in math and D in science. Ironically he has the same techer (Romanelli) for those classes. This could be a good school, but there's always one bad teacher that ruins the experience. Attempts to speak with the teacher to discuss grades are dismissed. The principal is too busy to meet. Just glad this year is almost over.

Great administration! Very open and welcoming. Most of the teachers are caring and well educated (mainly in the gifted and dual language classes). Unique and fun activities and events for the students (such as Cultural Arts Day, Career Day, etc). Very involved parents and PTA. Strong ties to the community. My only con: very outdated facility, specifically the bathrooms and cafeteria (yuck!!!) Please update! Our kids deserve better.

This is a great school but I must admit that I agree with some of the other parents. There is some favoritism with the PTA and teachers towards the children. If you don't live next door to them or know them personally your child will fall through the cracks. You can see the division. Even if you would like to volunteer they would generally get someone that they know before the one they don't.

I have mixed feelings about this school. The PTA is excellent and their is a lot of parent involvement which is excellent in a public school. The new principal is great. I do feel that many of the teachers need to retire but their are a few caring compassionate teachers left. Also, if your child is not in the gifted program, the dual language program or special classes they may fall through the cracks. That is just my opinion. The school is different based on whether they are in a specialty class or regular class. When you are in that school, you can really feel the difference. Such a shame that our kids are divided by gifted and none gifted. The kids really do feel the difference. Hope that changes one day.

Over the years this school has maintained the highest level of education. The staff and specially the teachers are excellent educators and friendly to the parents and extended family. We are so glad that the parents chose to live in the neighborhood so the kids could attend VABHOE. Oh, the new Principal is perfect for the school. Keep up the good work!

This school is amazing! The teachers are fabulous and everyone is so involved! I would give it 5 stars!

This is an amazing elementary school and my child had the good fortune to attend VABHOE until we were re zoned. The teachers are outstanding and for the 5 years my child was there, we never encountered any problems. The pricipal knows each and every child attending the school and she truly cares about her students. The PTSA is outstanding there as well. My only regret is that my child couldn't finish the last year there since the zoning changed. I highly recommend this wonderful school!

Last modified Virginia A Boone-Highland Oaks School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.