587 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My child has been in this school for three years and each year I have hoped for something better. The only reason this school has a good rating is due to the parent involvement and the extensive work by the students, NOT by the teachers. It's either a swim or sink philosophy at this school. The children of the teachers who attend this school obviously are the overachievers. Too many politics there. Class sized exceed the public school number of 21, most of them are 26+. I will be moving my child from here. The idea of a small school K-8 is nice but the teachers here leave much to desire. Not worth the hassle and constant stress just to have a child complete the year.

The jury is still out for me. It seems as all my daughter gets is worksheets in class. She says the teachers sit in the back and play on their computers or phones....no teaching....and she is getting 13 + hours of homework per week and that is a lot for a 10 year old. I will give it a little more time and see how it goes. I am talking about Somerset Dade....I have heard much better things about SOMI

This school has the potential to be great, however it lacks in the number of student assigned to a class. My child's class has a total of 27 kids for one teacher, with that many students, no teacher could help a child one on one.

There is only about 50 kids in each middle school grade - they use worksheets and computers. I pulled my kid out after k-5 to attend middle at Jorge Mas Canosa and am SOOO glad! She came home the first day exclaiming that this year she would get to dissect a frog, build a bottle rocket, and she has a science lab where they work with chemicals for their experiments. Somerset would never have given here these hands on experiences. They just use text books and worksheets. The only extracurricular class for mid school is putting out the annual year book. They have 24 kids to a class and no class aids for the younger grades. The school is clean, each room uses a promethian/smart board. turf instead of grass, only grades 1 and k allowed to use the playground equipment. the rest only can run around on the very small patch of turf. there is no balls or other playground or pe equipment. for pe they run laps a lot.

my son has been in the school since it open in this new location. This year he starts middle school. It is with great pleasure and respect that i commend and compliment the principal, assitant priniple, office staff, teachers and all personel of the school for their dedication and care to their students. thank you the Perez family

The administration is wonderful and most of the teachers are fantastic. There always seem to be a few that slip through, especially with this hiring freeze. We've been very happy here. Please take note that they are better equiped to handle average students and not those with disabilities.

it is an excellent school!!! My daughter started this year in K and she loves the school and the teacher. the principal and the staff are very involved. i like the way that they teach.

I think this is a great school. My daughter started in K and is now in 1st grade. The first year was not that great as the kindergarten teacher has no personality at all and never greeted me as a parent. This year my daughter is so much more comfortable and her teacher is awesome. I had a problem with the sand on the playground last year and saw an improvement. Its really a big inconvenience trying to get a park in the mornings. There is too much traffic and only one way in and out. There should be better accomodations. Overall the academics is great. My daughter has learned alot and i like the way they teach. The principal and most of the staff is very pleasant. I think its a great idea that staff stands outside in the am and pm to supervise the kids.

my daughter began with Somerset since it opened. She loves the school , the teachers, and all her frends. I couldnt ask for a better school. They really do care about out kids education..

It is a fourth year for my children attending to Somerset, is a great school. Every year they are improving. The Principal and the rest of the stuff are very helpful and friendly.

Last modified Somerset Academy Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.