Public charter
Miami, FL

Somerset Academy Charter 2

Posted September 15, 2014
The jury is still out for me. It seems as all my daughter gets is worksheets in class. She says the teachers sit in the back and play on their computers or phones....no teaching....and she is getting 13 + hours of homework per week and that is a lot for a 10 year old. I will give it a little more time and see how it goes. I am talking about Somerset Dade....I have heard much better things about SOMI

Somerset Academy Charter 3

Posted February 06, 2013
This school has the potential to be great, however it lacks in the number of student assigned to a class. My child's class has a total of 27 kids for one teacher, with that many students, no teacher could help a child one on one.

Posted December 12, 2011
There is only about 50 kids in each middle school grade - they use worksheets and computers. I pulled my kid out after k-5 to attend middle at Jorge Mas Canosa and am SOOO glad! She came home the first day exclaiming that this year she would get to dissect a frog, build a bottle rocket, and she has a science lab where they work with chemicals for their experiments. Somerset would never have given here these hands on experiences. They just use text books and worksheets. The only extracurricular class for mid school is putting out the annual year book. They have 24 kids to a class and no class aids for the younger grades. The school is clean, each room uses a promethian/smart board. turf instead of grass, only grades 1 and k allowed to use the playground equipment. the rest only can run around on the very small patch of turf. there is no balls or other playground or pe equipment. for pe they run laps a lot.

Posted August 23, 2010
my son has been in the school since it open in this new location. This year he starts middle school. It is with great pleasure and respect that i commend and compliment the principal, assitant priniple, office staff, teachers and all personel of the school for their dedication and care to their students. thank you the Perez family

Posted April 27, 2010
The administration is wonderful and most of the teachers are fantastic. There always seem to be a few that slip through, especially with this hiring freeze. We've been very happy here. Please take note that they are better equiped to handle average students and not those with disabilities.

Posted March 23, 2010
it is an excellent school!!! My daughter started this year in K and she loves the school and the teacher. the principal and the staff are very involved. i like the way that they teach.

Posted March 02, 2010
I think this is a great school. My daughter started in K and is now in 1st grade. The first year was not that great as the kindergarten teacher has no personality at all and never greeted me as a parent. This year my daughter is so much more comfortable and her teacher is awesome. I had a problem with the sand on the playground last year and saw an improvement. Its really a big inconvenience trying to get a park in the mornings. There is too much traffic and only one way in and out. There should be better accomodations. Overall the academics is great. My daughter has learned alot and i like the way they teach. The principal and most of the staff is very pleasant. I think its a great idea that staff stands outside in the am and pm to supervise the kids.

Somerset Academy Charter 0

Posted October 09, 2009
my daughter began with Somerset since it opened. She loves the school , the teachers, and all her frends. I couldnt ask for a better school. They really do care about out kids education..

Posted September 30, 2009

Posted July 14, 2009

Somerset Academy Charter
18491 Southwest 134th Avenue, Miami, FL  33177
Last modified Somerset Academy Charter is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerset Academy Charter Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top