Academy Of Arts & Minds

Charter | 9-12 | 339 students

Posted January 12, 2009

I am a student who goes to A&M and I am a sophomore.This is by far the best school I have ever been to in my short 16 years on this planet. This school has some of the best teachers that have been brought in from all around the world including India! The amount of culture in this school is amazing. Recently all of the students got tested for drugs and there was not one student that tested positive for drugs! I recommend this school to any teenager in the United States because I think it's the best school in the United States!

Posted January 10, 2009

I am currently a senior at A&M, and transferred over from South Miami Senior High School in 10th grade. I love my school! It's small, and artistic, and I do learn very much. Maybe that's because I spend more time getting things done, and concentrating on my arts than complaining about every little thing. It's true that the past administration was completely incompetent and that there are some unsolved problems left over, but the teachers are fantastic and the new administration is great. I can speak for the music and drama departments, as I am involved in both, and my experience has been incomparable. I couldn't have gotten such rich music/acting education anywhere else. Apply here if you are willing to work.

Posted November 21, 2008

When i applied for the Academy of Arts and Minds i had high expectations.But, as this school year has progressed i am becoming more and more dissapointed.Some teachers are hard working while in some other classes i have yet to learn anything. Also,they lack of honors classes and etra curricular activites.The administration is in constant chaos and bery unorgainized.AIso,there have been various parking issues with many of the students in the past weeks. l have been an honor student all my life,but in this school I feel like I'm wasting my time because I feel I'm being held back and I have more potential.Yes,some student my like it becasue it is very laid back, but I would like to fae other challenges to help get into a good college.Parents,I don't advise you to enroll your child in this school if you have high standards for your child.

Posted October 2, 2008

I agree wholeheartedly with the most recent reviews. The problem is that my kid likes it here. It's small so it's easier to contact teachers. However, the administration is awful. Teachers are either too advanced ot not good at all. From what I gather, even some of the teachers have similar feelings. I fear for my child's academic future in this school. Socially speaking, the school leaves a lot to be desired. They have absolutely no extra-curricular activities for these kids. What college is going to accept that? There's not a single club, sport, or anything else. This is too sad...

Posted August 29, 2008

I am extremely concerned about this school. So far there is no computer teacher and the kids have sat idle for two weeks. I pray this is not indicative of the rest of the school year. I hope that students are lectured from textbooks and have a curriculum that follows the Dade County Public schools. If I do not find this out I am not doing my job as a parent.

Posted August 27, 2008

This school is the poster child of incompetence, when it comes to your child s education this school is a joke. Behind the farce of academic and artistic achievement lies an administration that couldn t find their way out of a paper bag let alone locate your child s transcripts. So if you have college ambitions are sure to request your transcripts during freshman year maybe they will hand them over by graduation if you re lucky. Sadly some of the first graduating senior class has still not received their records and as a result can t attend college. For the most part the teachers are great and do their best to help you achieve in spite of the schools general failure

Posted August 26, 2008

My daughter attended Arts & Minds in 9th and 10th grades. The school is good for students who can work independently without much lecturing from teachers. They are not organized and with few exceptions they do not have a quality faculty. It definitely does not cater to talented students who are not A+ .... SO WHY HAVE ARTS. Artistic talent also needs to be given the importance it deserves especially if the student gets its motivation from the Arts. They Failed my Daughter.

Posted June 20, 2008

A & M was developed with the idea of bringing a fine arts education into a balanced academic curriculum. In theory at least. The fact of the matter is that the school fails to live up to its name, supply neither the art nor the mind. Having spent the past two years rotting away in a school that breathes apathy and lethargy, i finally wised up and transferred. Did I like the school? Absolutely. I missed my first and second period classes over 64 times and managed to pass both with a B. Did the administration do anything about that? Why would they, went they've failed to address far more pressing issues concerning the school. The past year alone, the school has gone through more than 6 teachers, because they're either horrible or too good to be there. Do your kids a favor, get a real school.

Posted June 12, 2008

It doesn't go without real reasoning to say that this is definetly the worst school i have ever been in by far. I attended one whole year the fourth year of it's opening and I can say that I genuinely feel that I wasted a substantial amount of my time this last year being in this school. The atmosphere is 100% unengaging, to me atleast, and the administration is suprisingly unattentive to the problems and issues in the school, and not to mention phony beyond belief in the public and community eyes. I am not an immature student venting my frustration at my school, I am just making a sincere review and making sure I can tell whoever I can to not enrole here because you will be let down.

Posted January 7, 2008

Academy of Arts and Minds is a terrific school. However, they are still waiting for their first class to graduate. The ideology of the A&M is a small, communal, hands on, campus that focuses on the arts as well as academics. On the other hand, the constant shuffle of staff has somewhat hindered the curriculum. This is understandable due to the fact that the school is adjusting to the changes needed to be made. In time, this program will be very difficult to join. In fact, it has seen quite a few glimpses of glory already and has a voracious appetite for more: All-State anyone? Conclusion? A&M is on the rise.

Posted September 27, 2007

A & M looks good so far. My daughter loves her teachers and the environment. Need more communication from staff - their on-line system is working, but we have not been able to get on-line and no one seems to know why. So we can't check her progress at the moment. I do have one big problem - school does not provide busing or any transportation. Therefore, we have had to make time arrangements with our employers to drop her off and pick her up. This also creates issues with my daughters dance school in the evening, because she is not able to get to her evening classes on time. School doesn't put enough effort in assisting parents with transportation issues!

Posted July 27, 2007

Excellent school! Professional, helpful and careful people. As parents, we feel lucky to have our son attending this school, teachers keep us updated with our son's progress/development. 'Thanks, Arts and Minds!

Posted April 9, 2007

this is a great school and the security is very good also, you don't need that much security because it is a small school, as for the teachers they are helpful and they keep the parents updated. every year it gets better and better as we grow....the administration is just as good as the teachers and their door is always open, but we do need more parent participation.

This was the best option for our son, we support Academy of Arts & Minds 100%

Posted March 28, 2007

A&M is a wonderfully kept secret. It is a small, academic school where all of the faculty know each student individually and where the attention and care given each student is meant to bring out the best in each one. The students are quite unique, artsy, funky, and at the same time, they manifest a unity and respect for one another that makes a parent proud. I am incredibly happy that my daughter and I took the gamble to enroll her in this brand new, unique school and it is paying off beautifully!

Posted March 28, 2007

This is my daughter's second year at A&M and we are very happy with the quality of the programs. I like the fact that it is a small school and the classrooms have glass windows so everyone can see what is going on inside.

Posted February 3, 2007

Being a current student at A&M i higly recommend it. The teachers are really nice and dedicatedd to what they do. Sice its a small school teachers will take time to adress any problems you have and are willing to tutor. The art programs are awesome too. I am in the chorus program and we have had ourr performance which went amzingly and we got straight superiors in solo and ansemble. I recommed this school to anyone who wants to go to a school where you learn but that aloso expand your mind through the arts.

Posted November 26, 2006

This year, it's a whole different ballgame. The new teachers are better than ever and highly educated. The arts are blooming with a new chorus teacher, dance teacher, and theatre teacher [who is one of the most professional people i have ever met, might i add]. There is an even bigger and better art room. The extracurricular activities are great this year. There is so many many clubs to choose from, and they are all very active. I'm very proud of what A & M has accomplished.

Posted September 6, 2006

The bottom line here is that school talks a good game, but very few of their claim come true. There is no real security and no arts to speak of. Most students would never survive at a regular school, either socially or academically. It's a fly by the seat of you pants. My child was in the 'honors' program and she even called it a joke. After giving it a two year chance - she is no longer there and much happier and challeneged. There is very little art going on there and if you choose to take part in the extra-curricular activities, many time you must pay. There has only been one production and that director is no longer there; unfortunately. I could go on, but space doesn't allow.

Posted June 12, 2006

Academically speaking, A & M is wonderful. The teachers are there for your every need and truely become your friend. At A & M, you're not just another number. Everyone knows everyone's name..it is sort of like a big family. The arts have had a rough start, but next year there is a big chance they will be a lot better. Parents are encouraged from the start to participate in everything from a school show to field trips but the thing is many parents are oblivious to the fact that this is a new school and to make it a successful school we need everyone to put in their share of effort. The school has an outstanding atmosphere and it's location is the best nonetheless. I'm definitely glad I attend A & M because it is like no other school. Justgiveit a little time and you'll see how amazing it will

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

110 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 16%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to farm or natural area
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

• MS. EIDA HERRERA

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now