Academy of Arts & Minds

Charter | 9-12 | 401 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 8, 2011

I am a senior at the Academy of Arts and Minds. I am thankful every day that I decided to attend this school. Even through all the positive evolution I've seen over my four years, A&M remains a hidden gem. I have had unbelievably stellar teachers, teachers who I can truly label intellectuals. The atmosphere is an inclusive one, without the traditional "clique" system which pervades adolescence. The tradition has been in place since my freshman year there. At 14 I was shocked that the seniors were actually being...human with me. Friendships know none of the traditional boundaries found elsewhere. Teachers and administration are important for any institution, but there's no way to describe the spirit of A&M. An inclusive, positive, intellectual atmosphere like ours would make for better performance at even the worst school. My teachers have been brilliant, and my friends have been unbelievably diverse, talented, bright, and down to earth. I believe the environment I have been afforded has allowed me to be more than ready for whatever University I elect to attend.

Posted November 20, 2010

My son attended this school last year. He did have some good teachers, but with great inconsistencies and voids in the approach. He no longer attends there, and my opinion may not be as valuable as others on this thread. I was concerned that much was missing when compared to my son's friends' experiences in similar courses at other schools. The school's administration was not always responsive. And there has been a big teacher turnover rate in some of the arts programs that have taken their toll on quality. I would not say the school is catastrophic, but there are other great alternatives that I feel benefit kids better.

Posted June 30, 2010

I graduated from A&M in 2010 and I can honestly say I loved my school! What most impressed me about A&M was the dedication of the teachers and the similarities between a school and a family. The teachers at A&M, particularly my senior year, were willing to stay after school countless times to prepare us for our AP exam. More so, if you had a problem at home, school, or personally, you could always count on being able to converse with one of your teachers and receive heartfelt counseling from them. The closeness between teachers and students, in my opinion, is unique to the A&M environment. A&M truly was like a family to me. There literally are no fights in this school. There are disagreements, as there is in any family, but never fights. All I can say is TRY IT! If you're anything like me, you'll love it!

Posted June 28, 2010

As a A&M grad, my opinion of this school might be somewhat biased. However, one cannot deny the caliber of the school's educatiobal prowess. The enviroment (Coconut Grove) lends itself to the students' interests and allows anyone to feel as if this school is truly unique, especially with the galleries and colorful enviroment surrounding the school. The staff takes care of the students' artistic talents and the value their art has in society and their self-discovery, at the same time, encourages them to be an educated individual with the demanding school work. Is it hard work for the student to juggle both the extra curricular and the academic? Yes, but we as students understand that that is what is asked of us in the school and in a competitive world. We understand that it takes a great deal of creativity to shine in this school,

Posted June 28, 2010

I graduated this year (class of 2010! 'ole!') and couldn't be more proud to have graduated from the Academy of Arts and Minds. I entered the school my Junior year, in 2008, the year revamping, big changes and risky transitions were being made and can honestly the institution as well as the faculty and student body itself have grown and continue to grow rapidly. I had always wanted to attend an art school for high school but my parents were skeptical of anything that wasn't the traditional high school education. Arts and Minds's size and location is what initially appealed to me. In my senior class there were only 56 students so the individual attention from teachers and kin-like relationships I formed will stay with me my entire life. Transfering from my ex-private school to Arts and Minds is not a decision I took lightly, but one I will never regret.

Posted June 24, 2010

Under the director's astute administrative experience, A&M has seen phenonmenal growth - both academically and in community service projects where both staff and students reach out and give back to the community. The director -now enetering his 3rd year at the Academy - Coconut Grove's ONLY public high school- has increased the enrollment from 350 (2009-2010) to currently 470 enrolled for 2010-2011. The word is spreading about the high level of quality A&M has in both the academics as well as the fine arts. Over 720 applications were received as of June. Auditions in the speicality strands shows that Greater Miami has an extremely large group of young talented, budding 9th - 12th graders. The school's strong administrative/teaching staff are diligently preparing tomorrow's leaders to serve in a global society.

Posted April 21, 2010

This is a truly unique school. It includes a comprehensive 'arts' curriculum, an easy going and collaborative camaraderie among students (all grades and art strands), and a nuturing but respectful relationship between students and faculty. Unlike many other art schools, Its mission statement embraces the cross-disciplinary development of each of the school's performance and art strands, including collaborative performances and exhibitions. There is even a faculty member whose job it is to promote 'cross-feritlization' and interaction of the various art strands. Some students participate in more than one strand. The shool welcomes and nutures the 'individualist' in each of its students, while maintaining the decorum and mutual respect one would expect in a secondary educational institution. The school is devoted to assuring that 'academics' always come first and that no student can get by on an arts curriculum alone. The campus is also one-of-kind, consisting of a multi-level and terraced structure.

Posted November 19, 2009

This school is the best kept secret in Miami. Go visit it for yourself. They hide nothing-just a bunch of talented kids, committed faculty, amazing Dean and wonderful principal. My friend just tried to get her son in and they are overenrolled right now. Her son left crying and the Dean said he would try to fit him at the semester. Tell me where you get service like that in Miami. I thank God every night my kid goes to this school.

Posted November 8, 2009

This school's meticulous selection for the brightest and best students really will blow you away. The school is filled with talented students. The fact that the school allows you to explore ALL the arts, instead of just one, really helps you realize how creative and multitalented one can be. You can enter this school freshman year, and by senior year be a photographer, or a dancer, or all three, etc. This school is amazing. Honestly, if you're having doubts as to why you should or shouldn't send your kid here, you need to realize that you're underestimating the school.

Posted November 3, 2009

a 10 plus on a scale of 1 to 10. I wish these kind of schools were around when I was in high school. A dynamic staff led by an experienced principal and a wonderful Dean of Students. My child was 'Zuckerized' and is a new kid-one who cares about his grades and is talking future college plans as a 10th grader. You are nuts if you're kid gets in and chooses New World or DASH or Coral Reef over this place.

Posted October 20, 2009

A & M offers the best of both worlds - creativity encouraged and nurtured, along with strong academics.

Posted October 11, 2009

No doubt, probably one of the best schools you could ever enroll your child into. I'm a freshman, and I told myself that I'd only enroll in this school for a single year, and then I'd switch. I underestimated this school. Its only been about a month and a few weeks of school, and I plan on staying here my entire high school experience. The school is such a big family. The students aren't stuck up or rude, and everyone gets along perfectly fine. At this school there aren't any 'cliques,' & at this school its not shocking to see a senior or junior, talking to a freshman. Everyone gets along great. And may I say, the food there is amazing! They give you the option of vegetarian & non-vegetarian food everyday. Overall, this school is just phenomenal.

Posted October 7, 2009

Wow-----------what a school. You are all in for a treat. The new administration is amazing. This school will attract the most talented and brightest kids in Dade County. Coral Reef and New World-watch out!!! You now have competition

Posted October 3, 2009

A great oportunity to expand the minds and talents of our children.Great staff.On top of things.Always an answer.Respect for parents.Great .

Posted September 16, 2009

This is the most amazing school in the county. The new Dean of Students is fantastic. He is the most knowledgeable ands caring man I have met in many years. My child is a freshman and comes home every day talking about school. Don't confuse this school with the other charter school on Biscayne. That principal is rude and crazy. I give this school an 11 on a 10 point scale.

Posted September 13, 2009

My son enrolled in Arts & Minds & I was apprehensive after reading the mixed reviews. I am surprised & delighted at the quality of the education, the organization & the atmosphere. The new creative writting track has enrolled 'minds' in addition to the arts that they had. He is challenged academically & has lots of homework but he is learning & happy. This is a small school & not your typical high school experience but it is a great place to grow & fit in for those kids that are artistic or not 'typical'.

Posted July 29, 2009

I'm currently a senior at Academy of Arts and Minds and in my three years at this school, I am most excited to start off fresh this upcoming year. Still a newbie, A&M has gone through many changes in its short life-span but every year it gets stronger, its academics better, and of course, more artistic in every strand. The new administration that came in this year has been so helpful! They are the nicest people and for once students feel like they are worth something more than money; they feel like someone cares about their future. The teachers in A&M are stupendous; I have no complaints about any of my teachers. They are always willing to help. The AP pass rate in A&M, particularly in the Social Studies and English departments has been very good. Overall, I recommend this school to every student in Miami! You will love it here!

Posted June 8, 2009

These past four years at the Academy of Arts and Minds, I have had the opportunity of experiencing three different arts, and not only striving to master them, but obtaining an appreciation for them. I've realized that art goes beyond the aesthetic pleasure, and reaches into dedication and sacrifice. Every unique strand has helped me flourish distinct traits or skills that I would most definitely utilize in my future life. In the 4 years that I attended A&M, I was able to actively participate in 3 of the art departments, and master each one. In these four years alone I had countless performances, produced a 116 full color page book, was featured on the cover of the Miami Herald, and was a student representative in the Student Government Association. I highly recommend this school for any lover of the arts and culture.

Posted June 8, 2009

I am a senior that has just graduated from A&M, and i attended the school for all four years. I really do appreciate the diversity, and culture this school has brought to my life. The environment at A&M is very nurturing, and accepting to all kinds of people and allowed me to grow as a person. Not to mention, as an art student, i felt challenged and inspired. Although on the other hand, if you are looking for a typical high school experience, then this is not the school for you because it is anything BUT typical. Students do have to take an initiative to challenge themselves because of the laid back atmosphere. So if you are a high-maintenance student this school would be the wrong choice. A&M is meant for independent, creative minds who wish to pursue a career in the arts, free from the oppressiveness of traditional values.

Posted January 12, 2009

I am a student who goes to A&M and I am a sophomore.This is by far the best school I have ever been to in my short 16 years on this planet. This school has some of the best teachers that have been brought in from all around the world including India! The amount of culture in this school is amazing. Recently all of the students got tested for drugs and there was not one student that tested positive for drugs! I recommend this school to any teenager in the United States because I think it's the best school in the United States!

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

110 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian N/A 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 16%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to farm or natural area
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

• Mr. Jorge Suarez

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now