Kenwood K-8 Center

Public | PK-8 | 1073 students

Posted June 25, 2014

I love this school. My son has learned so much. Everyone is very friendly. I do not worry about his safety, because I know he is safe.

Posted June 7, 2014

I hate this school because my son got bullied by these kids that were really mean to my son. Also i don't even know how my son got bullied because he is a very nice kid. What really got me disappointed was that the teacher left the classroom. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 10, 2014

Great Teachers Best School in Miami. Great it has the best elementary school GO COUGARS

Posted October 9, 2013

The comments written in the most recent rating seem to be enveloped in a personal vendetta against the administration. It is unfortunate they have chosen this venue to air their malignant attitude. The comments are not only upsetting, but are erroneous as well. I am a parent at this school and have not experienced any of the dissatisfaction that has been posted. My child is receiving an excellent education at Kenwood. Furthermore, the teachers my child has had have been amazing! These teachers go above and beyond what is expected of them. They have always been professional and I have only had positive experiences with each and every one of them. Those teachers that are in constant turmoil should seek employment elsewhere so they do not contaminate the good that is going on here.

Posted September 5, 2013

Kenwood is truly an amazing place. In the face of limited budgets, increased competition from charter schools, and ever-evolving requirements for accountability, this school has maintained a tradition of excellence that bring distinction to its almost 90-year history. A powerful teaching staff, a dedicated and passionate administration, and an active parent community keep this school functioning at a very high level. I chose to have my children attend this school, and they have blossomed in high school as a result of their great experiences at Kenwood. There may be no such thing as the "perfect school," but Kenwood is certainly close!

Posted August 27, 2013

Kenwood is a great school, the teachers are super the installation are clean is a very well keep the admin staff are very professional and helpful Mrs. Moraima the principal is always around and also with time to hear the parents thanks my older daughter was graduate from here and she cry because she have to leave the school now my youngest is in third grade with Mrs. Leal and she is happy also Mrs Pedrique and Mrs. Rosenthal are super nice and very professional dedicated to the students

Posted August 21, 2013

I have heard so many good things about this school that I was anxious for my daughter to get started. So far my first grade teacher is very caring and professional. Today is the third day of school and it seems like this is going to be a great teacher for my daughter. She is a new teacher but great Job so far! However, my experience with the staff in the main office and especially the after school care director has been very uncomfortable. Attitudes are extremely lousy and the year just began! They act as if they are doing the us parents a favor to give us information or that we are dumb not to know all their rules by now. I am a new parent and I will be rating them regularly (every month or so) if my time allows. I just hope that someone in administration or from the district office (next door) reads this and talks to them about proper manners and communication skills, especially with new parents! We are not your enemies!

Posted August 15, 2013

I am not one to write reviews but I had to after what I went through last year. My son started first grade and as per the teacher he wasn't doing well. We met with her and the assistant principal several times and although he was very open to helping she was not. I started going several times a week to the class to volunteer but also to see what was going on. The teacher never taught!!! She only wrote page numbers on the board, had the kids do the assignments and then gave them the answers. When a child asked a question she would say "you should know that by now". I ended up taking my son out of that school and placed him in a private school (which thankfully wasn't as expensive as the well known ones bc I wouldn't have been able to afford it) and he thankfully learned in a few months stuff he had not learned here and passed first grade. The teacher was there to collect a paycheck and didn't care about her students. I will be writing to the school board and sending them the different report cards so they can see and hopefully things change bc they surely protect their teachers even when the teachers don't care about their students

Posted July 12, 2013

My advice to parents who need to work & don't have the luxury of spending all of their time fundraising for this school is to not send your precious children here. The office staff/teachers are extremely lazy, you will spend hours after a long day of work trying to teach your children what they should have been taught in school, the teachers don't take responsibility, they favor the kids whose parents are classroom parents, allow other kids to check your children's homework, the office makes small children call home on their own when they're sick, they let them walk home alone even when you specifically asked they not be released without you,allow your children to be bullied or bully your children themselves, the after school is a joke where your children play in the dirt while the counselors hang out, no support services or enrichment programs.Your concerns get no follow up,no security at the school, roaches crawling everywhere, the school looks run down, the AC breaks down frequently.You're lucky if you end up with a handful of teachers who care. Don't stress yourself/your kids, take your children to a school that won't be emotionally damaging and will actually help them learn.

Posted May 14, 2013

mi hijo e hija concurrren a esta escuela, hay exelencia en cuanto a los maestros ,pero en la administracion como los principal y asistentesde losprincipal,les falta educcion,comprension,malos tratos hacia los docentes desde su autoridad y hacia al alumnado, he visto como gritan y empujan los directivos a los alumnos con problemas de conducta.es indignante observar dichas actitudes de quienes deberian organizar y educar a nuestros hijos.

Posted October 7, 2012

My son got bullied in this school as well. Teacher left child alone in classroom so he wouldn't be bullied!!!! He was a kindergartner!!!! Insane!!!! Principal didn't believe and defended her school and teachers. The vp was great he was real understanding but couldn't do much when principal wouldn't do anything to sport him or my son. I would NOT recommend this school to anyone!!!

Posted August 21, 2012

Great School - Nice and friendly staff, Excellent teachers, safe environment for both my daughters,,,,, awesome school. Keep up the good work...

Posted April 5, 2012

I had the same experience with this principal,my son had been bullied in this school.The Principle got very defensive and said there is no such problem in her school.the teachers the same.i pulled my son out of this school.

Posted February 12, 2012

Parents if you are looking for a great school; secured, qualified caring teachers, amazing staff and direction, you are looking at the right schoolfor your children. Of course, ONLY if you are an involved parent, that have made efforts to know your child s teachers and have worked together with them to ensure your child is receiving the best education, THEN you will be able to appreciate this amazing school and stand by for it the way we are. Parents, take this advice from this parents whose children have been going to Kenwood since Kindergarten and they are almost finishing Meddle School now; doing extremely well in school and in everything they do. My husband and I could not be happier with this school, not only because of the high quality of the education our children are receiving but also for the opportunity to have made long lasting friendships with wonderful kids and their families. That by itself deserves our A+.

Posted April 16, 2011

I find that for the most part this is a very good school with the most caring teachers I've ever met. It is unfair for parents to write negative reviews about one experience, I'd like to hear the positive also. No school is perfect, however this school offers VERY good EVERYTHING. As a parent you try to find the best school for your child and this school definetely is for me and my three kids. My oldest attended 3-8grade, my second and third are in elementary grades...veyr happy and successful thanks to the positive environment of the professsional caring teachers they;ve had. I am VERY happy at this school!!!

Posted April 1, 2011

I was in utter disbelief as I read the previous comment. I teach with the fourth grade teacher the parent is referring to and have only observed her to be kind, patient and genuinely concerned for her students' academic as well as social progress. The previous post is grossly irresponsible. I implore you to go back to your child's teacher and open the lines of communication. It is the only way to address conflicts. There is no isssue that can't be resolved through discussion. If you don't agree with each other, continue the conversation by validating each others feelings and continue from there. Teachers are pulled in many directions; by the state, county, administration, parents, and the children themselves. We can not please everyone, but we certainly aim to try. As a teacher at Kenwood, I ask that you refrain from teacher descriptions. We adults need to set the example in proper conflict resolutions and character defamation is most certainly not the way.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 27, 2011

I had the same experience with this principal. My 5 y.o daughter had been bullied in aftercare and did not want to go to school anymore (after 4 years of positive schooling experience in preschool). I raised the issue with the principal and she refused to have me use the word " bullying", which was acknowledged by the aftercare staff. She went along into "bullying" my wife in several occasions, addressing to her in a very condescending and demeaning manner. We had to remove our daughter from the school altogether. Our daughter was immediately relieved and reverted to her happy self during her first week in her new school, also in the public school system. This principal does not have the right character and manners for the responsibilities she holds with this position. The assistant-principal of the elementary school was more professional than she ever proved to be. He was a better listener and was more knowledgeable about students' educational and developmental needs. Unfortunately, he is not the one in charge.

Posted February 24, 2011

I too agree. After 3 months of my son in this school I pulled him out. He was being bullied! The Principle got very defensive and couldnt believe her teacher wasnt doing anything to correct problem. The teacher actually left my son 2 times in classroom alone while they played outside so "my son" wouldn't get bullied!

Posted December 20, 2010

I absolutely concur with the two previous reviews. The principal and main office staff are definitely very opinionated, condescending, and extremely unprofessional. They tend to react defensively when you raise questions regarding your child, rather than work at solutions. They should at least make an effort to understand the individual needs of their students, instead of placating a fit-for-all mold of expectations on them. In addition, they claim to have a low student-teacher ratio, but the actual count of children per class in kindergarten exceeds the mandated 18:1 cap ratio in the state of Florida. We can only rely on transfers from dissatisfied parents to see those mandated ratios met.

Posted August 14, 2010

My child has been attending the school for 4 years as a student with a disability. I can attest to two teachers that meet what a teacher should be. The staff and principal are very opinionated and extremely unprofessional. When you state your concerns, they are very defensive. Being from out of state (Texas and Virginia) we are use to top education and treatment. Kenwood is not even close.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

112 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

112 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

117 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

119 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

110 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

110 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

142 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

142 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

119 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

102 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

145 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

Media arts
  • Video / Film production

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom