Leewood K-8 Center

Public | PK-8 | 827 students

Posted yesterday

I am very happy your experience with Mrs. Boyd was he great, that's the way it should be. However, my experience with her was not and I would not wish it upon anyone. Children should be inspired and encouraged, not criticized and humiliated. You speak based on your experience and opinion, much the same as I did. However, my review was removed. I did not use any profanity at all. I was simply honest in my reviews to warn other parents, as no child should endure what my child did. There is freedom of speech in this country and I exercised my right . My opinion and experience should be acknowledged and treated with validity. Afterall, does my child not matter?? Apparently so! I guess a review is supported as long as it makes the school and teachers look good, regardless of what the truth may be. I stand behind my opinion!

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Contrary to the former post, Mrs. Boyd is an excellent teacher. She constantly challenges her students, while also providing support and understanding. We as parents need to realize that a good teacher does not necessarily provide us or our children with what we WANT, but rather what they NEED in order to be successful. Leewood is an excellent school with amazing teachers and administrators!

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Leewood K-8 Center is in exceptional school which consists of the most dedicated teachers and administration that I have ever seen. They are constantly monitoring students progress and school. This is a great school that has the greatest PTSA I have ever seen. I also know that Ms. Boyd is a FANTASTIC teacher who goes above and beyond the call of duty.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 25, 2014

It certainly seems that some of the comments here are not about Leewood K-8 Center. My daughter has been at Leewood for the past two years. The teachers are exceptional and the office staff is always willing to help. The principal and assistant principal really make this school feel like a private school. They go above and beyond for each and every student on a daily basis. I see them greeting students each morning and it just starts the day. The PTA is also amazing. They are constantly doing things for the school that go above and beyond.

Posted August 22, 2014

I am a new to this school and my daughter is in vpk. I have had a great experience with her teacher but the office staff should really shape up their attitude because the set a bad tone. Many may not agree with me but I am speaking for myself. I understand the first days are hectic. We are all busy and have a lot of work. I guess it costs money to lift your head and greet someone when they walk in or smile. I actually heard one of the staff talk in a nasty tone to a little boy who's parent had not submitted their latest vaccines. She told him" sit down you are not even suppose to be here" in the nastiest whisper. As if he was contaminated with some kind of widespread disease. That's not to mention the 3 incidents I had with the main secretary. It's as is she had it out for me because I missed one paper for enrollment. Did not lift her head to tell me it would be a long wait. She made it difficult to get a free shirt voucher, and to top it off she did not enter my child in the lunch system for free lunch and tried to cover it up as if I made a mistake. When I spoke to the principal he pretty much tried to sugar coat their mistakes and was not genuinely sorry. Her teacher is great!

Posted August 20, 2014

I do agree with a lot of statements that are said here about certain staff and most of all of the AP, that apparently goes to work in a bad mood and a very bad attitude. If you are not on her favorite parent/student list then she wont talk to you in a very nice way. She should not be working with children, she should have picked a different career. A lot of issues need to be addressed and taken care of from the Principal. Hopefully things will change for the best for all students that attend this school.

Posted August 16, 2014

I am a parent at this school and, since my older child entered five years ago, there has always been a family atmosphere and a "private school" feel. I do not understand nor agree with statements about certain staff there. I have seen genuine concern for the students at the school. I am pleased with the teachers, administration, and the level of education. Thank you Leewood for ALL you do! Many times the positive (& there are many positives) go unnoticed~ so I thank you for your efforts!

Posted April 23, 2014

My child is being constantly changed from school to school because I'm a real estate agent and this school I'de have to say is by far the WORST!

Posted April 2, 2014

My daughter attends this school and our experience has not been a positive one. She is constantly bullied in class and has even been hit and choked by other students. The teacher did not notify us of the altercations and has done nothing to protect her from other altercations. Whenever our daughter approaches the teacher for help she simply sends her to the office and does not handle the situation. Academically, she is never challenged and the teacher refuses to provide extra work since it is not "in her curriculum" to do so. This school has been a big let down.

Posted February 28, 2014

Its a good school but some teachers are very rude to the students and the parents for no reason and have favorites but most are very good and fair teachers. The after school care program is terrible the counselors are VERY rude and only are nice to their favorite, the assistant principal has a bad attitude and one again the aftercare has snotty counselors but I love everything else. The ptsa goes above and beyond and creating fun raisers and fun things for students to do, I love how they send breakfast up to the students classroom so that all of them can eat, and the staff member (besides aftercare) are very nice and helpful!

Posted February 22, 2014

As a former student I only have fond memories of Leewood! Administration and teachers were always very helpful and nice. Any negative comments are because the parent or student did not get their way, anyone can say anything anonymously!

Posted February 13, 2014

This school is terrible you has to have money or be your status hight to listen to you ! If you be a low income the principal no listen ms Rivas that is the assistant principal she has bad attitude with the parent and children too that school is disappoint

Posted September 30, 2013

Leewood K-8 Center is the most amazing school for ALL children. The teachers go above and beyond to assist all children with all types of academic needs. The administrators recognize all students by name and also really get to know their parents. The PTSA work tiredlessly to make the children's school year wonderful by providing activities such as school dances (which the AP DJ's and dances with the kids), the Harvest, school picnic, middle school BBQ's and so much more! Both of my children recieved an excellent education and are attending Florida Universities with 3.5 GPA. I owe it all to Leewood K-8 Center!

Posted August 25, 2013

My school is fantastic and it is one of the best schools I have been to. I would reccomend this for sure. The teachers all know your name and care about each and every student. All the kids are very welcoming and kind.

Posted August 20, 2013

This is a fantastic school! My daughter loves it and the teaching methods are superb.

Posted June 11, 2013

Very disappointing to have my kids here. Moved from out of state, bought a house in neighborhood so my kids could go here, only to find out I could have bought a much nicer house and had my kids transfer here. Too many kids bussed in from bad areas. Climate of staff and administration are horrible . They show favorites and if you don't give, give give or grease the principal or AP your child is never recognized for any accomplishments. I'm so glad to get my kids out, now maybe they will have a chance to enjoy school. Office staff is a bunch of rude ladies that gossip all day, and treat parents and students with such disrespect , it's sickening,! Beware, they suck you in and spit you out. No respect for parents, students or the good teachers. Bad teachers get excused , you really have to know someone or kiss up to have any success at this school. Admin needed to leave long ago. Middle school offers nothing!

Posted June 3, 2013

I am a former student who is currently a junior at the University of Florida. I was accepted to many prestigious institutions and I point all of my successes back to Leewood. I was academically challenged and my classmates around me would agree. I have a hand full of friends from elementary school, some attend Ivy leagues, others attend top schools throughout the country and we all promote Leewood as one of the best schools in the state. All of us are successful because of the overall experience we had from field days, to extension, to awards. Of course it can be improved but if I ever have kids I would want them to attend a school just like Leewood Elementary

Posted November 10, 2012

my child attends leewood and the ptsa is very active but quite frankly it is a tight group of parents that are stay at home moms and never have meetings in the evenings so there fore the group is limited, and very clicky. those parents kids are the ones that get preferential treatment. secondly i am not sure if the teachers are burned out because the district or school administration demands much from them that limits them to the basic of TEACHING. If your child struggles then like most comments those kids are punished and sort of ignored and parents are the ones that have to find alternatives. In order for a parent-teacher conference it is ONLY done at one hour of the day so if you work you will have to leave work early or late with very little compromise. Love the coach he is probably the most caring and enthusiastic individual there. I love the area love the small school feeling and I know it has a good reputation however I would like to see better teacher-parent interaction.

Posted November 5, 2012

I was a student at Leewood a few years ago, and for my siblings and I, it was the worst experience. All of us were bullied, and despite our parents attempts to resolve these issues, the school treated my parents as if they were crazy to be upset in a school with such high marks. I can count on one hand the teachers that truly cared. I struggled academically while there; I was constantly punished for this, and made to feel inadequate in front of the class. My parents were also never notified of my struggles until report cards were issued. I never had conduct problems, and I was raised to be respectful, yet I never felt respected. I left Leewood with a low self-esteem, thinking I would never do well inschool. My parents moved my siblings and I into a private school for two years, and my life turned around completely. I graduated from a public high-school in the top 4% of my class, I was president of a club, captain of a sports team, and involved in student government. I received a full-ride to an Ivy-league school in upstate NY, as well. I know many who have found success there, but such was not the case for me, it almost destroyed my dreams.

Posted October 1, 2012

I have to agree with a previous review posted August, 2012...School focuses to much on academics. My son loved school when he started, and hates it now, and we're only 6 weeks into the year. I don't want my son hating school considering he just started. I find they're academically too demanding, they will hold the child back from recess if they haven't completed they're classwork, and I feel for the younger population of kids play is still a very important factor in development. I'm considering a transfer out.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

90 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

90 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

73 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

74 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

30 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

70 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

70 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

93 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

40 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 6%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10343 Southwest 124th Street