Miami, FL

Posted December 20, 2014
I am a parent of two graduates of this wonderful institution. Both of my children excelled in their academics as well as socially thank you in part to all the wonderful teachers and the administration. The teachers in this school are wonderful and take the time to help each and every student. I will truly recommend this school. My children have succeeded because of the wonderful foundation that was given to them at this school. My daughter is a college graduate and my son is a Junior at Belen Jesuit Prep. I still consider myself as well as my family as part of this school. Remember education is the best gift that you can give to your children.

Posted September 24, 2014
Going to sunset prep was a game changer for me as a kid! As a dyslexic school was always the worst place for me to have to be! Sunset prep was the first school that I felt normal in. We had small classes and the teachers taught the person on an individual level and not the students as a whole. What I mean by that is I was in a class with other children and we were learning the same thing but we were not expected to all be on the same level. I was never singled out and for the first time I fit in! This is were I learned I DID NOT have a LEARNING DISABILITY but I ACTUALLY HAD a LEARNING ABILITY!!!! I was allowed to express myself and take it from me I had a big mouth and was not scared to use it. I was always talked to about what I was feeling and was taught how to express myself without running my big mouth. My teachers were very personable and compassionate; they new me the PERSON and never looked at me as just one of the students. I am still friend with some of my old classmate and because we went to this school we have become Very successful adults! I went to Sunset Prep over 30 years ago and it is still one of my favorite place to visit! Iliana Alonso-Titone

Posted September 09, 2014
My grandson started at Sunset Preparatory last year in 6th grade. It has been an incredible positive journey. We have seen him grow academically as well as socially. The school has a well rounded curriculum, there are well established channels of communication with faculty as well as with the and administration. The atmosphere is very positive, the teachers are great and the school offers activities throughout the year that enhance the learning experience. What else can you say when your child is so eager and happy to go to school everyday and comes home happy and motivated? His academic progress has been great and we are looking forward to another year in this great school.

Posted August 19, 2014
I remember meeting Mr Schechter for the first time back in 2007. Our daughter was only 3 years old. My wife and I wanted to find a school that would prepare her for a future, not only academically but also one that cares for others and keeping with family values. SPS has become a part of our life/family. The care and dedication that the staff and the Schechter family has given our daughter in the past 6 years has been outstanding. Not only had she grown academically, she has become a caring loving wonderful young girl. I write this words from my heart and soul. My wife and I are so happy and greatful with SPS! On a scale of 1 to 5, SPS is a 10! We only wish and pray, that the Schechter family would decide to continue providing excellent education thru High School ;) Sincerely, The Rodriguez Family!

Posted July 02, 2014
My son has attended SSP for the last three years. He would not be where he is today academically and socially with out the amazing staff at this school. I can not tell you how thankful my husband and I are to have found (been recommended to) this school for our son. I highly recommend Sunset Preperatory school. Thank you Sunset Prep and all the wonderful caring staff!

Posted May 01, 2014
My Son's school is Sunset Preparatory, he came from the public school system last year and entered 6th grade here. Academically a 360 degree change from c's and d's to a' and b's ( & that's with struggling still with reading comprehension), he arrived with very little confidence and I know that when he leave's it will be full of confidence thanks to the curriculum, staff, leadership, and most of all the love and support he will receive thru this journey. If I would have known about Sunset I would have sent him there since Kinder but the school has done an amazing job in less than one year. The only regret is they do not continue academically thru high school and though the true saying fits little kids little problems and big kids big problems I believe the school would do still an amazing awesome work adding high school. THANK YOU

Sunset Preparatory School 1

Posted March 13, 2014
Please do not be misled by Sunset Preparatory School. They do not have the qualifications to address children with special needs, even though they advertise that they accept the McKay Scholarship and accommodate such children. The teachers do not seem to be certified for special needs. They do not know how to motivate these children. Instead of positive reinforcement, they seem to aggravate negative behavior and then punishing the child for something he/she has no control over. It is very hurtful, especially as a parent, to see a child that loves to learn become so frustrated that they do not want to go to school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 25, 2014
My Son's school is Sunset Preparatory, he came from the public school system two years ago and entered 8th grade here. Academically my son did a 360 degree change went from c's and d's to a' and b's, he arrived with very little confidence and will leave soaring full of confidence thanks to the curriculum, staff, leadership, and most of all the love and support he received thru this journey. I just wish i would have sent him there since Kinder but they did an amazing job in less than two years. THANK YOU

Posted December 02, 2012
I beg to differ from the writer of the previous comment. My child started with Ms. Aleman (1st grade) and currently attending Ms. Janey (5th grade) and I absolutely love everything about this small but a very good school. Mr. Jack is a good man, you just got to know him. He is very approachable and I never had any problem with him in my 5 years. He is working very hard to keep the school's standard high compared to other private schools in the area. The School website is being developed and contents have started to appear on it. This is an evidence that he is trying his best that the school stays on top. I would request the parent that if they have some grudge due to any reason, resolve it by talking but dont bash the principal and the school. Also, please dont try to compare Mr. Jack's brother with Mr. Jack. Its just like you are comparing apples with oranges. Both of them have their own strengths and weaknesses but comparing them on this forum will have a negative impact on both. Although, there are rooms for improvement but I am still happy with the school and its staff. Its very easy to say bad stuff but very difficult to come forward and provide with solutions. FK(parent)

Sunset Preparatory School 2

Posted July 12, 2012
My child has been at Sunset Prep for four years. Good things: small classroom, family atmosphere, nice students and most teachers/staff are sweet. Mr. S ironically, the principal s brother - is a great teacher. He motivates/captures students attention. Negative things: Homework Club not all teachers can help with math, don t check work, after school program ends at 5:30pm. Some teachers make questionable disciplinary decisions and don t seem to know what positive reinforcement means. The school is outdated, little technology, some teachers teach two grades at once, quest. curriculum level and there are no elective classes or sports offered. BUT, the worst thing about the school is the administrator/principal - Mr. Jack/Jack Schechter. Don t be fooled, this man doesn t really care about the kids or parents. You can see it very clearly. Mr. Jack is impolite (doesn't even say hello to parents), inconsiderate, has a rude sarcastic attitude with students. He is inappropriate with indirect remarks to parents/students. If he keeps this up, he will continue to lose students. I feel bad for his underpaid staff. His mother (founder) would be ashamed to know. We say MR. S FOR PRINCIPAL
3 people found this helpful

Sunset Preparatory School
11925 Southwest 72nd Street, Miami, FL  33183
Last modified Sunset Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 1-8
Sunset Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top