642 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Both my kids have been in this school since Pre-K. My son will be going to High School, and my daughter will be going to Middle School. This school has amazing teachers, staff, and principal. I hear horror stories from co-workers on other schools. I am grateful for my kid's education at Palmetto Elementary. It is the best school.

I am the mother of 3 daughters all of whom are graduates or currently enrolled. Palmetto Elementary is an outstanding school with remarkable teachers and instructional leadership. The music program is outstanding and is responsible for planting and encouraging all three of my daughters' love of music and the arts. The school facility is impeccably well kept for a school over 50 years old. We have classroom gardens, an unbelievable media center and a new addition on the way which will include a state-of-the-art music and art facility. Literacy and reading are a cornerstone of our school culture and our kids read voraciously. The PTA is a very active and large organization that allows for all levels of involvement that meet the realities of today's busy parents. We love the diversity of the population and the community that results from being part of this school. Academically our children are challenged and have grown in writing, reading and math skills despite the challenge of public education and the standards and testing that goes along with it. This school is a gem and is what great American public education should be.

We transferred to Palmetto from a private school in our old neighborhood because of the reputation. Yes, parents seem to be involved but that is about it. We originally thought the school was disorganized and that communication was poor. We thought to give it a chance but yesterdays open house was a disaster. Teachers had zero preparation, did not know the curriculum, communicated nothing about our children, are not trained in classroom technology and did not know the room mom's name (who seems to be the only good thing) and made sarcastic remarks about programs encouraging parent involvement during lunch and boy do we miss recess. Yes, we are disappointed. We hope to see improvements as the school year evolves but are not ruling out a change of school for next year. On a positive note, our child enjoys this school.

THIS IS AN AWESOME SCHOOL. My children are involved with the many drama and arts programs including band and chorus. The school also offers orchestra and cheerleading. We are very happy with the PTA and its involvement in supplementing the programs and teachers. The teachers are also very dedicated and the principal has been a good leader. The school is focused on reading and the joy of the kids who go over the Rainbow, or who have perfect attendance or birthdays is tremendous. It is a community school and we have never wanted to go to the other school close by that has a "higher" rating. This school is smaller and we believe better than other schools, especially since the kids in the school are also in the community. My children have made lots of friends and are involved in many activities after-school as well. There is a sense of working together and we really appreciate the school and its administration.

This is a great school, teachers are very dedicated and all staff is involved with the parents and community. My 4 kids have attended PES and we are very happy with their academic and school environment experience.

Great school! The PTA/parental involvement is phenomenal. My children are both happy here which is most important.

Our first grade teacher was great! we are looking forward to the gifted program for second grade. I was able to meet with a few teacher from second to fifth grade and the are great teachers. As for the principal, He need to be more involve.

The academic program is good. Lots of parental involvement which leads to better students. I am very pleased with this school.

I just withdrew my son from this school. along with 2 more kids in his class. Palmetto is great if you get the "right" teacher. We unfortunately did not. we left to another school after being in Palmetto for 2 yrs it was sad to leave but we had to. it was getting to stressful. The teachers we had for 1 and 2nd grade were not good teachers and the next teacher didn't care to teach so we left and 2 kids followed suit. no one listened to us teacher, principal no one. Good luck to all of you.

My daughter attends the ESE Program at Palmetto Elementary as she suffers from hyperactivity. As such, I expected the teachers and staff to care for the well being and safety of the students in the program. However, my daughter has been bullied by classmates (both verbally and physically). I have complained numerous times but instead of dealing with the situation, the school has turned a blind eye and the bullying continues. The issue has gotten to the point where my daughter had to verbally defend herself from her attackers and she was written up for her actions (But her attackers were not). The staff needs to do a much better job in making sure the students (especially in the ESE Program), are under control. As a parent, I am fearful for the well being of my daughter. I cannot comment on the regular school and attention provided by teachers and staff members, but as it relates to the ESE Program the school gets a failing grade from this parent.

Last modified Palmetto Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.