Posted March 10, 2015
The high test scores this school brags about are everything that a parent would hope for but it IS NOT what it seems. Tutoring as they call it on Saturdays is mandatory.. Equivalent to a Kaplan course for the FCAT, the children put in an extra 50-60 hours toward preparation for the test? If it's so academically rigorous, why can't they score accordingly like the rest of the county? The children are threatened with 10 detentions for each Saturday missed. That's missed lunches by the way. Upon withdrawing my child, I was told by teachers & other staff to please let the board of education know; to do something!!! They said they see perfectly good children come out of the elementary and once they hit middle it's all downhill because of the principal's methods. With a charter school, you have no recourse with the county should a situation arise. We switched to a full-gifted program that is equivalently challenging and my child is so much happier. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the low rating reviews are exaggerated; for your child's sake and yours.

Posted March 10, 2015
No, This school it's not for everybody!! It is a very demanding school, not only for the kids but also for the parents! That's why my kids go to Archimedean because I want the best for them and with all the pros and cons this school is doing a great job. The principal is very strict but that's how you have to be when you are dealing with rising teenagers. Saturday school is not mandatory but if you want to be the best you have to work hard! and that's what they teach the kids...

Posted March 10, 2015
My daughter is in her first year at Archimedean Middle Conservatory. We are amazed at the kindness of students and staff (even though the teachers can be strict at times). We love the way that they teach at the school, although it may seem quite overwhelming. Yes, they are told to attend Saturday tutoring every week in the months before the exams, but only certain days are mandatory. The school also asks the students to attend Wednesday tutoring and stay an extra hour in the afternoons. Again, not all days are mandatory. The consequence for not attending the mandatory sessions is a detention during lunchtime but students are NOT deprived of their lunches. All the school is trying to do is confirm the success in your child's future. It is true that it is not for everyone, but anyone can succeed anywhere if they have the drive to.

Posted March 10, 2015
(continued #2) I'm a student in....... In Archimedean Middle Conservatory they teach you greek, which helps us exercise how to learn a language, greek math, which helps us learn where some math came from, and philosophy (ethics), where students learn to do the right thing. In Archimedean we exercise our brains and actually work unlike other schools. If you want to be in a school to succeed I highly recommend Archimedean Middle Conservatory. Another thing parents/students might complain about is that the principle is to strict and I can agree on this but no school works with non strict principals or teachers. My principal, Mrs. Moysidis works very hard to help us succeed in life and if there is any problem or conflict in our school even if there it's something little like losing a watch she solves it in one second as some people may call her she is like the agent of our school. This school is the best school in the world. If there is any complaint of people's children not doing good in this school it's not because of the lack of good teachers,principal,and staff it's because they lack effort or don't study enough. This is the best school you can ever find in the universe!!!!!!

Posted January 29, 2015
This is my son's first year at Archimedean. Yes we wanted our son to be in a structured and diciplined environment. We are devoted and loving parents all we want is our son to reach his full potential, to do his best and have pride and respect for himself and his community, and above all to be happy and successful in his life. We want him to have confidence in himself and the choices he makes. In saying this I would like to state that I am so very grateful for this school, yes it is rigorous and it is difficult, but you must as a parent tell your child to keep trying and to keep with it and to ask for help when needed. If you have a positive attitude, a respect for learning a respect for teachers, this school will bring out the best in your child. My son was an average student and is now gaining confidence and self worth, he has become more animated and communicates with us always telling us about something new he has looked up. His grades have steadily moved up to above average, he is learning greek and philosophy . I say a "D" in this school is like a "B" anywhere else!
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 23, 2015
I was convinced and impressed the day I attended orientation. However, when school started, all my expectations and content with the school were erased. I agree with a previous comment that your child will be pulled from class and given indoor suspension without notifying the parent. I left several messages and emails to both the teacher and the principal, which were not answered. I plan to make an appointment with the school board to show that this is NOT proper behavior for any school's staff. I had to force my way to see the principal by going to the office and telling the receptionist that I was not leaving until I saw her. This is more of a boarding school where they treat your children as if they were criminals and liars. I agree with a strict curriculum and punishment but this goes too far. This is my child's first year at AMC. My child has excelled throughout previous years and received high scores on his FCATs, however, he is failing this year. I agree with another review, my child has also developed depression and emotional problems attending this school. This is NOT a happy place.

Posted October 02, 2014
My daughter was a former student at Archimedean and I had to take her out because she was very upset and depressed about the school. she sometimes came home crying. Some students there are nice and all but others are very mean and bully . The teachers are horrible! They spend more than half the class complaining and not teaching! unlike other schools, this school teaches greek, greek math and philosophy! dont get me wrong you can learn those subjects if you want because they can benefit you but it is very hard and the teachers expect you to learn it like nothing & they expect you to answer exsesive amounts of questions in short periods of time. the teachers are very rude and unfair. The PTO's (the parent, teacher organization) are always asking for money and making us parents spend a big amount of money for some things that will not benefit the students. the school is very little and give exsesive amounts of homework. the lunch there is horrible in the little dirty cafeteria. my daughter came home once with a stomach virus caused from the school lunch. lastly, they have school on Saturday starting from January to May which is mandatory. i strongly recommend a different school

Posted September 18, 2014
I believe that this school is excellent. You do have to make a commitment because it is not an easy school, but they do prepare the children well, I see it as an investment in my child's future. The principal is responsive when true issues arise.

Archimedean Middle Conservatory 3

Posted March 04, 2014
The culture of this school can be very problematic. They seem to confuse discipline with being rude and brusque. Their striving for academic excellence is admirable and honestly, very attractive to our family. However, it would be wonderful if they had a principal who would strive for such level of excellence also in communication, safety and efficiency in overall school operations. The parking and pick up is archaic and extremely dysfunctional. The emails from the school do not contain phone numbers for follow up even when they request parent help for volunteering and the email itself is a do not reply. The teachers and administrators report being afraid of the principal and literally run and hide when they see her coming. This, to me, is a sign of problematic leadership. It is important to be successful academically but school is a culture setting institution and I am very weary that the culture they are setting is not conducive to overall success in the 21st century. My son is an excellent student and has strong FCAT scores but still we are looking elsewhere

Posted November 05, 2013
This is my son's 2nd year and I can honestly say it has been the best move we've made. My son's ex- elementary special program basically gave up on him and labeled him lazy not preparing him on the basics such as reading and math. This wonderful group of educators have cared enough about my son and have helped him embrace education and believe in himself again! I will be forever grateful and honestly appreciate this school's strict approach to education. I find the teachers to be selfless and caring enough to come in on their own time on Saturday's before the FCAT and tutor these students for Free. This truly is an amazing school we consider home!

Archimedean Middle Conservatory
12425 Southwest 72nd Street, Miami, FL  33183
Last modified Archimedean Middle Conservatory is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Archimedean Middle Conservatory Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 87 reviews. Top