659 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Develops character: Neutral

Need more time to answer this. Both my kids are new so not able to answers

So far not impressed! Meetings with all parents are given in English then repeated in Spanish! Really?!?! Who doesn't understand English needs to bring a translator or school can provide all info in Spanish to who needs. Not make us suffer and wait to hear in 2 languages. Communication between and teachers and parent are poor! 2016 starting off on a bad note

I was a student for many years. when I first came I only spoke spanish and well..as a child changing to a whole different city can be quite scary. however, I was treated lovingly, wonderfully, and greatly!!!! teachers and staff were really nice and later when I came to do internship, I was treated same as before, with loving eyes.

Really bad principal. I understand that staff and teachers felt Ms. Martin was too strict and sometimes didn't show the best way of treating them but any hopes this school had was because of her. New principal lacks a lot of capacity, emotional intelligence and connection with parents. First day of school and you don't let parents go in until 8:20?!?! Honor roll assemblies changed to the mornings so working parents have trouble coming in?!?!?! (She was righteously booed for such a decision) I've personally heard her refer to parents in a very disrespectful manner in front of her staff. She appears as a nice person at first but hides her lack of capacity behind doors. You can tell how she seems annoyed to be there, bothered to have to solve many problems. Ms. Martin was absolutely devoted to the school and children. No time was too late, no field trip took place without her dismissing and welcoming the buses, and laid back teachers felt the pressure to keep their jobs. A message to Ms. Hernandez: Learn to communicate and open up to parents' concerns. Be sympathetic to the fact that working parents are the majority. Dealing with parents' claims comes with the job. If you don't like it, leave room to efficient professionals.

I went to this school from 1986-1992 and now my daughter goes here. I love this school! The staff is amazing and I am very happy with the education she is receiving. The school is always clean and the staff genuinely care about the educational environment as well as the students. The only down side I have noticed is during pick up, drop off, and assemblies, the parents tend to be very rude, lacking basic manners. (won't wait in line, pushy, never say excuse me, talking during announcements, etc.) But considering that is the only negative, it's definitely a wonderful school.

April 2015 review post is wrong. PTA has never chosen students for STEM program. 2014-2015 is only second year for STEM. STEM was started by Ms. Martin the part Principal. Ms. Hernandez the new Principal just started at school 2014-2015. Ms. Martin had a huge meeting year before STEM started and created a committee from parents at the meeting. Committee helped create application and rule for volunteer hour requirement for STEM parents. Only STEM Teachers and the Past Principal reviewed applications and chose students allowed into STEM. Making STEM parents do volunteer hours and be on PTA was good idea because there are more parents at the school helping. I think the kids did more STEM things the first year. PTA in past had a lot of fundraising. PTA worked with past Principal Ms. Martin and bought smart boards and more laptop computers for the school. Past Principal Ms. Martin was very strict with parents and teachers - but good for kids and learning. New Principal Ms. Hernandez looks nicer but she is not doing anything to help kids and make school better. Most teachers are great. I love my child's teachers.

First I'd like to address the last comment..... Mrs. Hernandez the principal of Sunset park Elemetary is doing an amazing job. As far as the STEM program is concerned, it is a wonderful program and will continue to be a wonderful program especially since "PTA" will have no say in who will be in the program! It will be done by a committee fair and square! Not only are the parents happy with Mrs. Hernandez but more importantly the teachers whom our children are being taught by are in a much happier environment. That makes a world of a difference! I love my school!!!

Ever since Sarah Martin left as Principal she took any hope that this school had with her. What a waste of a great program with STEM and what a waste in what Principal Martin took so long to build. At first I thought maybe it was me but now all I hear on a daily basis are parents feeling the same way I feel. Glad it's not just me but sad, really really sad it's become like this. What a shame. Really had hopes my kids would finish here.

Excellent school and staff in general !!! my child its been in Sunset Park since Kindergarden and now he is in 4th grade , so far only graet memories we have , the staff always friendly and caring for the parebts and the kids needs , we have the new STEM propgram wich makes all the learning experience more succesful , i am just hoping for the school to get approved for K to 8 center bc my liltle one is going to attend to the schaool nex yaer and my big one is going to be already on 5th grade , overall and very pleased with the teachers and the school , highly recommended.

The STEM program is excellent and my daughters are excelling at this school. You are expected to be involved in your child's education and they welcome you on campus. I especially like the emphasis on math and science. This year my daughter went to Kennedy Space Center, which I thought was a great addition to her education. The office staff is friendly and efficient and the principal Ms. Martin is very active in the school. You will even see her in the mornings talking to the kids. She runs a very tight ship

Last modified Sunset Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.