Village Green Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 377 students

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 10, 2013

VGE a great school and a wonderful group of teachers! I have the pleasure of having my son and my two oldest here throughout their elementary years and I am very proud to say it has been a wonderful experience for my kids and me. The teachers and school leaders are caring and loving. There PTA is involved in all activities and does a lot for the school. I will miss them once my son is done next year will be going to 5 grade and moving on to Middle School. THANKS YOU ALL!!!!!

Posted April 21, 2012

Great school! I have had the pleasure of having both of my kids here through out their elementary years and I am very proud to say it has been a wonderful experience for both my kids and myself. The teachers and school leaders are caring and loving to all the children. I will miss them all now that my kids are moving on to Middle School. THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO !!!!!

Posted May 18, 2011

This school is REALLY good! I went there when I was a kid and now my daughter is attending this school. She is in 2nd grade and the teachers have been excellent! Very loving and caring environment, school is open not an enclosed building so kids don't feel trapped in there, cafeteria staff is very helpful. Overall this school is great!

Posted January 27, 2010

I have 2 children that go to VGE. My daughter is in 4th grade with Mrs. K. Proano and Mrs. E. Crego (both great teachers), and my son is in 3rd grade with Mrs. L. Menendez (also a great teacher). Right now, both classes are reviewing and practicing for the FCAT evaluation coming up on March 9, 2010. My children are very happy with the school. My son loves the after care program, he has some free time to play with friends. I am very happy with the school. Susana

Posted July 21, 2009

My son just graduated from VGE, and has nothing but great memories to take with him to junior high. From the custodian to the cafeteria staff to teachers and administration. Always a hello, a smile and concern for him. Even with over 400 kids Mrs.Chappotin knows the kids names, and what principal have you ever seen outside, rain or shine helping the traffic flow? What if the garden is a love of hers? Who does it hurt? The school has monthly pizza sales as well as monthly bake sales. True it's to fund the PTA but who eats the pizza and the cookies and brownies? Our kids! Safety is #1 PRIORITY for Mrs.Chappotin even though some times it seems not to be for the parents. Each grade level has different field trips throughout the year and let's be real ALL the parents CAN NOT go as a chaperone. H

Posted August 18, 2008

my children love this school it has great teachers much other great things

Posted August 18, 2006

This is the 5th year my son has been in this school and my daughters second. I'm very happy with the schools and my kids love it. Yes, there needs to be more parent involvement and the principal is tough. But when I Drop off my kids I know they are safe. Also, the teachers and the staff all my kids and I see that they really care about them. The teachers are great and always very helpful. My kids are doing great academic wise. But the school does need more after school activites and clubs. Small classes and a lot of care. The staff and the principal are very good. The problems is that a lot of the parents don't want to go by the rules and do what they want. Great School!

Posted May 19, 2006

Village green I belive has a better structure as a school in whole than I was expecting for a public school. I feel that it is a safe environment for my son to be in. My son has done well at this school in academic subjects. I like the school on the whole.

Posted February 16, 2006

I think that academic part of the school is great but there is no fun for these children.Holidays or celebrations are just not acceptable. Any bake sales or pizza sales or anything for that matter is a NO-No. These kids need something for them. Also parents don't get involved becuase they are pretty much scared off. They should be happy that parents want to be involved.

Posted January 10, 2006

I'm very disappointed with the school overall and the politics. Principal does not tolerate parents involvement in any school activity, because of the so called security. My child is in smaller student ratio class for main course classes vs. the 30+ kids in each class. These classes seem to be helping. His teacher does not know how to work with children who need assistance and that are not gifted. Principal might be a drill sergeant but does not know how to administer a school. Her plate might be full and that is not an excuse, other schools are administered better and are larger in size. Drop-off and Pick-up is a joke. PTA what is that not heard from at this school, unless to collect money. Main office should be renamed lounge room; office staff is rude and uneducated.

Posted November 21, 2005

The school has a well rounded curriculum and resonalbe FCAT scores, but there lacks a feeling of warmth by the administration. The school is 'private' and does not encourage parent involvement.

Posted August 19, 2005

Village Green administration is dissappointing. I used to go eat lunch with my daughter at school and never got much cooperation from administration. I tried my hardest to be part of the school to assist children and principal always made it difficult. Other than principal, schools is great. Ex-teachers say the same. I am a former student and now a parent. I have seen the changes first hand.

Posted May 28, 2005

the zise of the school is great. The teachers try their best to do what they can for the children inpite the limited resources provided by the administration. Parents are very limited to what they can do with and with the school. Pincipal seems more interested in beautifying the school than helping the classrooms with what they need. I regreat to say that I will be transfering to a school that works with the parens and children more.

Posted May 25, 2005

I am very disappointed with the administration. Contrary to the Miami Dade County Schools encouragement of parent involvement, this school promotes quite the opposite. They always find a reason or excuse to avoid the parents involvement. The school's moral is very low which I feel is directly related to the administrations handle of the school and school events or lack of events.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 6, 2005

No parent involment wanted or allowed. Today we had a field day. Parents with infants in strollers were asked to leave the school, they were told that sibblings were not allowed to attend. Bravo to the parents that stayed! This school has a very high number of teacher transfer every year. We have a very, very low percentage of community kids attending due to the reputation that the administration has. This # will be getting even smaller as the years go by, since many of the students are on waiting list at nearby charter schools.

Posted May 6, 2005

I think that the school academic program is o.k., but that's because of the teachers not the Principal or A.P. The extracurricular activities at the school are also o.k. I know of other school in the area that offer several different programs after school for the children, but again not VGE. It is probably due to the Principal. The Principal runs the school more like a childs boot camp then a place of learning made fun. My child attends the school and the teachers come and go because of the Principal. They are run off by her attitude. She doesn't allow parent involvement with the teachers.

Posted July 26, 2004

I could'nt be happier at this school. The teachers are caring and dedicated. The principal is always available and the students have the apropiate resources for learning.

Posted May 21, 2004

If you want a clean school with a garden this is the school for you. The Principal is more intrested in the appearance of the school than in the quality of school. This school has the potential to be great, the classes are small, the kids are good, the teachers are caring, but the 1 thing stopping them is the principal. She does not allow any activities that might dirty her school, she does not allow anything to go on in school that she does not have control of.

Posted May 17, 2004

This school has been a big let down. I have been fortunate that the teacher my child has is an excellent teacher. The PTA is non exsisting, and there are no activities for the parents to enjoy time with their children. Good teachers are constantly leaving the school due to the administration.

Posted November 17, 2003

Due to circumstances, my kids have been to 3 different schools in the Dade County area within a 10 year span. I've seen the difference between principals with a 'lax' attitude who are really nice, but can't seem to keep the place in order and a 'drill sargeant' attitude which although it maybe on the strick side, it keeps does everyone in line. In the real world, success in achieved through discipline and a higher education cannot be achieved through a laid back attitude, that's what I want my kids to learn starting now. Ms. Chapotin has alot on her plate and she seems to handle it in a very professional & caring manner. Can we say the same about our behavior as parents? There's something to say about a Principal who gets to know each child's first and last names.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MR. HENRY FERNANDEZ
Fax number
  • (305) 222-8140

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now