Vineland K-8 Center

Public | PK-8 | 896 students

Posted August 31, 2014

Do not recommend Vineland. Although it has it's pros, Vineland doesn't prepare you for "bigger" things. My current freshman attended Vineland from sixth to eighth grade and is struggling IMMENSELY getting used to the new school environment. The kids are extremely "babied" . Being babied isn't a bad thing when you're in elementary, of course. But the learning environment and the school in general isn't beneficial when it comes to middle school and graduating middle school. Other than that, the teachers are mostly excellent and reinforce work/homework. The english teachers in the middle school are absolutely great! Ms. Collins and Ms. Gonzalez have created some fantastic writers.

Posted April 19, 2014

Personal experience is most important to other parents who intend to enroll. I do not recommend at all and the conclution can be objectively. I hope my review will help come under parents.

Posted April 19, 2014

To respond to the newest review. Vineland does not have a large minority population. Looking around it is mostly white children and hispanic children. Vineland has 6 African American Teachers and an additional 2 african american employees on staff, if my memory serves me right. Compared to neighboring schools, Vineland does have more minority children than most. I had an racially insensitive experience with one teacher, and I being a hispanic parent, not african american was very uncomfortable and made that known to the teacher. Maybe reaching out to administration with some suggestions on how they can improve their interaction will help. It's unfortunate that you have had this experience, but Vineland is a great school. Imperfect, but a great school. I highly recommend you reaching out to the principal, or vice principal, to at least try and better the situation.

Posted January 14, 2014

My school needs lots of improvement in helping kids with ADHD, ADD, and learning disabilities grow and succeed.

Posted October 14, 2013

I am from a small little town in New England where public schools are where you go without hesitation. No one goes to private school because the public schools are so amazing. After so much research and worry about the public schools in Miami I finally agreed to try it before putting my son in a private school. I couldn't be happier!!! Vineland offers a private school atmosphere and a very involved PTA. My son has the most wonderful and supportive teachers this year, Mrs. Burger and Mrs. Rosen. They are stellar at seeing the whole child and trying to understand what makes a child tick. They go out of their way to teach in a way that reaches their interest. They teach by DOING, not WATCHING. Gifted to them is creative and active, not rote and just plain difficult. Mrs. MacLaren and Mrs. Cobo are very hands on with the school functions and the daily ins and outs. They answer emails and calls extremely quickly. The school is bogged down with caring talented teachers like Ms. Vaccaro, Ms. Moreland, Ms. Maley, Ms. Radell & Ms. Garcia to name a few. I am not sure why there were some negative reviews, because I haven't had such experiences and strongly recommend Vineland.

Posted October 2, 2013

I could not be more thankful to Vineland, the teachers, administration and staff. My two children have excelled academically at Vineland! The teachers take a very personal stake in ensuring that they have provided the kids with the tools necessary to move forward and build a strong foundation from lesson to lesson. They keep the kids challenged and engaged. My eldest recently started 9th grade and the transition from middle school to high school could not have been better. Vineland prepared my child for what lay ahead. A school that can provide both a strong academia along with a safe, comfortable, accepting social environment for each child to be an individual is a true blessing and Vineland has been able to do this in spades. Congratulations Vineland!!! You a true leader within the public and private school sector!! You will always hold a special place in my families heart!

Posted September 24, 2013

As my family enters its 12th year at Vineland, we thank our lucky stars every day that our children have had the opportunity to attend this wonderful school. I couldn't disagree more with some of the negative comments about the Principal. As stated in one of the not so positive reviews, "Vineland runs like a well oiled machine". This is absolutely true, and is evident to any parent who has visited the campus more than once. The office staff continues to be professional, courteous, and most of all, happily efficient at their jobs. One telltale sign of bad administration is an inefficient and unhappy workplace, and this just doesn't exist at Vineland. The Principal deserves high marks for her involvement every day. As a parent volunteer, I have seen her numerous times dealing hands on with issues at the school. She is all over the place, greeting parents in the morning and afternoon, visiting classrooms, and even directing traffic! Vineland K-8 Center is a top notch school with top notch teachers, parents and staff. And by the way, this seems to have rubbed off on the children as well. They're a nice group of kids!

Posted September 18, 2013

Last year I was so nervous about making the right choice in a middle school for my daughter. The more research I did, the more fearful I became. I took a chance on touring Vineland's Upper Academy, and boy did it pay off! The transition they warn you about was so smooth. My daughter has made new friends and is learning every day--not learning how to roll her eyes, resent her parents, and discover every bad influence we fear, but the kind of learning that will open many doors for her in the future. I have seen a healthy balance of academics and support, and my daughter loves going to school. This is exactly the environment I was praying we would find. I challenge anyone to find a better faculty or administration at another local middle school, public or private.

Posted September 18, 2013

We moved our two children from private school to Vineland, and both are very happy. I see them learning and am pleased the school is committed to helping them develop according to their needs and abilities. Academics are a major focus, but are balanced with many other offerings such as technology classes, art, Spanish, and a great orchestral strings program. PTA is supportive of the teachers and school. I feel my children are growing into confident and well-rounded students thanks to the entire staff and many volunteers. Not sure why some reviewers need a cheerleader or pig kisser in the office; school in Florida is not a summer camp. Mrs. MacLaren attends all school functions and applauds every accomplishment made by Vineland students. Schools have the responsibility to prepare children for the next level of education, and I prefer that Vineland maintain its focus on preparing my children for success in middle and high school .

Posted September 17, 2013

We toured at least 4 public "A" schools plus a couple of private ones - coming from private one to begin - and were immediately sold on Vineland. Friends whose children attend the school raved about it, and they are right. Great teachers, great family-friendly environment. Having read other reviews, Mrs MacLaren and her staff, in my view, are very approachable and always professional. Our children are learning and thriving in a close-knit environment private schools can only dream of - and we come to Vineland from a private school in town. No one can be everything to everyone, sorry a couple of you have had a negative experience if you're looking for your kids to receive a solid education, a super PTA, and all around nice atmosphere all the way through K-8, Vineland is it!

Posted September 11, 2013

This school leaves much room for improvement. Many of the teachers are great, including Ms. Diaz & Ms. Sanchez. However I agree with the other parent in that the principal lacks leadership skills and is actually rude and does not take any corrective action when there are issues with her staff. Believes her teachers are the best even when they are proven to yell, ridicule and even intimidate their students in front of other adults. Thankfully my child is now an A student despite middle school teachers attempts to try to demoralize him. Thank God for involved parents that are willing to stand up for their children. Just stay involved and LISTEN to your children.

Posted September 10, 2013

Vineland is the BEST! It's a shame every student in Miami doesn't have a chance to go there. Mr Sharp and Mr Rizzo outstnding programs in music and art! Check it out - better than any private/charter school

Posted August 17, 2013

I have heard some amazing things about this school from strangers and friends but I went to the open house yesterday and the principal did not seem welcoming. She was actually cold and a little rude. That concerns me. I hope she just had a bad morning and that's not the attitude my children or me will experience. She also looked real exhausted and overwhelmed. My child was even like mommy she looks real mean. So I hope this was just a bad day for her.

Posted August 12, 2013

My daughter has been in this schools since Pre-K4 and I have to say that I am so pleased with the teachers, administrative staff and the incredible PTA. There have been a few minor issues but nothing that wouldn't happen any where else. The one thing that we need is an AP for the lower school as I believe the school has just grown a bit much for the Principal to handle on her own. The school is like family and I am so very happy that my child is there and enjoying school and friends!

Posted May 14, 2013

Vineland elementary has been superior toward the development and education of my child. When we moved in the are before she was in kindergarten we didn't know what to expect other then that we had heard it was a great school. Not only is it a great school the teachers that she has had have been excellent with their patience and helping my child be come a great student and truly love to learn. I also have been so happy with the type of kids that attend Vineland and the friends she has made just are incredible. I wouldn't choose another school for my child.

Posted August 19, 2012

I never knew of Vineland when I moved to our new home in 2006, I visited several private schools after enrolling my daughter in kindergarten. Most private school's had an average class size of 32 students and my daughter 19 students a teacher and assistant. It would have been a disservice to my daughter to remove her from this environment. PK 4 was full so I had to enroll my son in Concordia (an excellent private school thru kinder)Long story short both my children have been in Vineland since. My daughter is starting middle school and my son is in fifth grade,. The principle is SO SO involved and accessiable. PTA Amazimg. It's so intimate that every teacher knows your child weather or not they taught them. I consider myself Blessed. Vineland is the best kept SECRET!!!!!!!

Posted July 9, 2012

excellent!!! the office staff is great! the teachers are great too! I love the school and I wish they will go up to 12th grade!!!

Posted April 26, 2012

Vineland is a great school where kids can learn alot of things. In Vineland kids can make many friends. Vineland has excellent teachers, strong principal/school leadership and challenging academic programs.Vineland is the best school ever. I have been in Vineland three years and I wish I never left.

Posted March 24, 2011

i been in vineland since i was in 2ed grade n i left last year in 6th grade & vineland though me alot....... ilove that school and i wish i never left

Posted September 2, 2010

My three children attend Vineland. My older tow are now in the Upper Accademy and I am very pleased with the results. I love the positive enviroment. This is the first year that it is a full K8 and I'm please with the electives, I m pleased with the teachers and the school is enriched with good leadership. It is small compared to a big middle school but to me knowing my children are getting a good education in a safe enviroment is very valuable.

Posted February 26, 2010

Before i went to this school, i went to Palmetto Elementary. then for middle school, i came to the newly renovated, not-yet finished 'middle school'. the middle school is about a year and a half old. Since this is my first year, im meeting all the kids and ive had ALOT of problems and some of my only friends tell me that theyve had problems ever single year theyve been there. the teachers are nice, but the scchool is WAY to small and were stuck in the same four classes the whole day.

Posted October 29, 2009

Great parent and PTA involvement !

Posted August 31, 2009

I love vineland and i miss it so much last year i was there and now i am in washington state and i wish i could go back to vineland because i miss mrs bascuse,mrs rodrigez, mrs blandon,mrs rosen coach booher coach sperlling and of course all the great wonderful memories and friends and tales and stories that shall go on for as long as vineland lives long live vineland love victoria c. M
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 31, 2009

love this school the best so far.

Posted November 6, 2007

I have to say I'm more than pleased with this school. The teachers are more than experienced and it reflects in my daughter's progress. The parents are all very involved in the children's education which holds the school accountable. And I also love the area in which the school is located. This is my daughter's first year at Vineland and her progress is tremendous! I'd definitely recommend this school to other parents.

Posted April 18, 2006

My daughter has attended Vineland for the past 3 years and I couldn't be happier with the staff, teachers and location.

Posted September 26, 2005

A small public school with outstanding parent involvement. Classes are large with 24 students in PREK4 with 1 teacher and 1 assistant. Kindergarten has over 30 students. Teachers seem to really care about the students and it has been a positive experience for my child so far this year (2005-2006). The new principal looks to be very experienced and professional and is very accesible to the parents.

Posted June 2, 2005

This is an excellent school. Our five children have been blessed to have been able to attend this school. All the teachers care very much and put great effort into making sure their students learn. Parent involvement is incredible. This is an ideal school!

Posted April 18, 2005

Good school. Small town feel.

Posted March 30, 2005

The school has some wonderful teachers who encourage my children to love learning. I would really love to see some plays put on by the students and an expanded arts program as well as some field trips to other cities that could help our children learn about other places. A new principal has just started so we hope the school gets even better.

Posted January 3, 2005

This is a quality school with excellant teachers. I've been very please with the education that my children have recieved for the past 7 years. My daughter who is in middle school was well prepared for entering the 6th grade.

Posted December 17, 2004

Vineland is a wonderful school filled with fablous teachers and an excellent principal. The school prides itself in creating a challenging and rigorous academic program, while creating a nurturing and community environment for the children. Vineland is wonderful.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 30, 2004

My husband and I have had the great opportunity to send all three of our children to Vineland Elementary. The principal, teachers and staff are wonderful and dedicated to every child that attends the school. Our children love the school and have always felt the love, attention and dedication that these teachers, staff, and the principal have given them. I feel this school far exceeds my expectations because of the wonderful job they do. They care about our children's well being and are always striving to provide our children with the best education possible.

Posted July 30, 2004

My wife and are fortunate to have our children attending this school. The dedication and commitment by the school's principal, teachers and staff are superb.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

107 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

81 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

81 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

102 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

69 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 6%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8455 Southwest 119th Street