Whispering Pines Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 642 students

Posted June 10, 2014

There are amazing teachers here that really get involved with the lives of the children. It's up to the parents to do the other half. Get involved and you will see how your children succeed!

Posted July 14, 2013

I was a former student at Whispering Pines Elementary and I think that there is no school better than that one. ALL of the teachers and staff are kind and helpful. I think that WPE is the place where I was truly myself. WPE is like a one big huge family that can never be separated. I was at that school for 7 amazing years( Pre-K - 5th) and I would not change that for the world. I love this school and everything that comes with it and it will always be my favorite school that I attended and I thank this school for all of the amazing years. I would recommend this school to any parent who wants the best for their child From, A former student, Class of 2012

Posted February 17, 2012

I've been a parent at Whispering Pines Elementary School for the past 9 years, as all three of our children have attended WPE, with our last currently in fourth grade. Whispering Pines has a great PTA with a lot of parent/teacher involvement and perhaps that's one reason why WPE is such a wonderful school! The teachers have a genuine concern for their student's achievements and have a good rapport with their parents. A few of their substitutes are actually graduates who have stayed in the neighborhood over the years & who's children now attend WPE. You know when you have a school this good, there's no point in moving any where else. Besides being an academic school of excellence for many years standing, they also have a wide variety of before and after school activities including things like Chamber Singers, WPKN- (Whispering Pines Kids News) ballet, sports, Chess Club, music lessons, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, after care, story hour (for younger students who have older siblings that remain in school till 3pm. I must say that the custodial crew are quite nice as well as our great crossing guards! Whispering Pines Elementary is a well rounded school that I highly recommend.

Posted February 15, 2012

One of the best trades of this school is safety. They make sure to know the children whereabouts and track everyone that goes in the premises. On the bad side, the food options are very poor. There is too much high sugar, high carbs and process food offered everyday. Even for holiday events and aftercare they first offer chocolate chip cookies, candy, soft pretzels and artificial drinks like fruit punch or powder lemonade. I have not seen a project yet where involves fresh fruit and vegetables instead of cookie dough and sprinkles.

Posted June 20, 2011

My child just completed Kindergarten and we were so impressed by how much material she was taught and absorbed over this past Kindergarten year. The school planning is very structured and focused. We are really happy so far with Whispering Pines Elementary, and looking forward to experiencing 1st grade.

Posted February 9, 2011

i do love this school it is a great school for my son he learn a lot of stuff he did not know there are great with the kids

Posted February 5, 2011

i'm a former student who was in this school for 7 years and i am now in 8th grade; and with my experience all i can say is this is one of the most amazing best elementary schools in the county. if you want you're child to become academically ready and strive to their highest, send them here. trust me this school is just amazing.

Posted December 2, 2010

So happy and truly blessed to have my kids in such a great school ! for the last three years all the teachers have been great . Now with my 4 year old starting pre k has really opened my eyes to what a wonderful school this truly is! im not one to really get all involed in my kids school with my third child who just turned two but in this school it makes u want to spend that time with your child and be that parent that your child says " that's my mommy" so thank you to whispering pines for going above and over the duty of a school.

Posted October 29, 2010

I really do love this school. Their gifted program (called Discovery) is fabulous! It allows the intelligent kids to really excel, and segregates them from the juvenile delinquints that are present at all schools. The music programs are all top notch and the teachers are very caring about all students. The office staff is very helpful and friendly however, the aftercare program supervision can be inattentive and my kids hated being there. As far as parent involvement goes, it's always the same people trying to get everything done. Volunteers can be very hard to find throughout the parent population. Also, this school seems do be doing some sort of fundraiser every month, which can get a little old after a while. All this being said, the Discovery program is what's kept us in this school.

Posted April 22, 2010

this school has great teachers who really want kids to succeed

Posted April 29, 2009

I had three kids attend this school - two of which are still there. The teachers are excellant. The administration is caring and motivated. My oldest children participated in Mr. Simons music program, which is exceptional. The Gifted program is challenging and exciting. I'm proud to say my kids attend this school.

Posted April 3, 2009

As a parent of two children at Whispering Pines, I have nothing but great things to say about this school. The Gifted Program (Discovery) is fabulous. The Music Program is the best in the state. The teachers are highly motivated and caring. The small classroom sizes allow the teachers to teach and the students to learn. Love this school!!

Posted May 27, 2008

My two kids have attended WPE for the last four years and I don't have a single negative word to say about this school's administration or its faculty. Mr. Roberson and Mrs. Gonzalez (asst. prin.) do everything they can to help their students and their families with any problems or concerns they may have. They go far beyond their duties to create a close knit environment for their students. They listen to everyone's input concerning the school and are HUGE supporters of the school's PTA. I couldn't ask for a better school or better teachers.

Posted February 27, 2008

My two children have been attending WPE since Pre- K. I can not express my deep gratitude to Mr. Roberson for his support and advice he provides. He has shown leadership and dedication to his staff, students and parents. He finds ways to help, even if the issue is not related to school matters. I wish other parents could see beyond their madness how kind and understanding Mr. Roberson can be.

Posted July 23, 2007

My 2 children have attended this school for the last 5 years. The leadership of this school since the addition of Mr Roberson has gone downhill. The teachers, for the most part, are caring and dedicated. It has been a positive experience for both of my children as well as for me as a parent having them attend this school. I just wish that the principal would put more emphasis on the children attending the school than on his own agenda.

Posted July 1, 2007

I have three children that attend this school, in the past two years this school has become very sad. The principal and assistant principal do not care about the students nor the concerns of the parents. The school is over populated. I love my area and relocated from New York for the school, what a bad move. I am now relocating again due to the 'A school'.

Posted July 1, 2007

This is an awesome school. I have 2 children. The schools looks good, the landscaping is beautiful and the teachers are dedicated. The new principal is there for all students, not just the ones in discovery or the music program. he actually talks to and interacts with the special education students, which teachers will tell you, did not happen in the past. He does not allow the parents to run the school. He listens to them but he decides what is best for the school. This upsets a lot to the parents who were used to calling the shots. I am happy as a parent and my children are happy.

Posted June 29, 2007

My children attended Whispering Pines for a few months We came from Palm Beach and we so disappointed with the leadership at this school. I went to see Mr Roberson crying about my son that was in ESE. I was told they were doing all they could do. My son was failing miserably and not one person cared, how sad for a A school. I had to pull them all out and put them in private school. I moved to the area because of the school..How funny.

Posted May 3, 2007

I love the school, neighborhood, and teachers at Whispering Pines. I don't feel that building maintenance has been given the attention it should and as a result the teachers and students are not working in the best conditions possible. My son had Ms. Saint-Hilare this year and she was an incredible teacher. I highly recommend her. Mr. Simon should be nominated for music teacher of the century. Thanks to him, my third grader learned how to play the guitar, piano, and drums. Every year the Chambers Singers and Band tours around the country competing against high schools and winning top honors.

Posted May 29, 2006

My daughter attended Whispering Pines for kindergarten. I was very happy with the learning environment and the overall behavior of the children of the school. The school's principle is ambtious, visible and approachable. Kids attending this school are well mannered and typically well behaved. School not to big and keeps a community feel. I recommend highly.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

112 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

120 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

120 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

119 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

112 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

18929 Southwest 89th Road