Miami, FL
Students enrolled: 1,216

Posted May 26, 2012
I am in seventh grade and so far it has been a good school.Yes it does have some problems like fights and food fights and some drug problems.But they don't happen often enough to make it unsafe for us to learn there.The principal last year was an amazing principal she always had a good attitude but the one we have now is horrible she canceled field day all because of one food fight and there were 350 kids in that lunch it was during FCAT so we were all jumpy and excited because we finally got a break after testing so a couple kids 4 or 5 thought it would be funny but it wasn't anything major there were 8 security guards and teachers there they were there to make sure that wouldn't happen but they weren't doing their job by catching the students do it.It was not all of our faults it was 5 kids don't punish all 1200.And drugs are barely an issue there are a couple of kids that smoke but they are punished for it.But all in all it's a great school.The gifted program is amazing I love it some of the teachers shouldn't be so hard on us but it's fine.I love this school so much it might not have fancy computers or new desks but its still amazing.

Posted January 12, 2011
We pulled our child out of a brand new K-8 school to send her to HOM. The principal and all of the administrators we so welcoming and had her acclimated in days. The gifted program is outstanding and we couldn't be happier. There are a large variety of electives which to choose from which K-8 centers lack due to funding. The PTSA is incredible and so are the teachers. Yes, the school is a bit older and perhaps not as sparkling as a new school, but a school's merit should be judged by the quality of the teachers and the principal. Our child has told us many times how happy she is at HOM. Her grades are even higher than they were at her former school, where she was a top student. There are no more over crowding issues because state legislature mandated class size. Students also have respect for their peers and the administration. HOM is a great middle school.

Highland Oaks Middle School 4

Posted October 20, 2010
MothersView - This is my fourth year with HOMSI am proud to exclaim "WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!" HATS OFF to most of the staff in the office, with ofcourse one or two exception. HATS OFF to the TEACHERS this year by far the best attitude. Gives my son a smile. Most of the students have good things to say about their teachers. There will always be a negative but this year, this school has reached more on the positive side of things. The security has greatly improved in respects to the treatment of students... Reminder to them you must show Respect to Earn Respect ,for students to Learn Respect for themselves and others, especially adults. And a Special KUDOS for our Principal.... You have made such a wonderful change. FEELS LIKE NEW.. To all you parents - Donate even if it is change. Helps DESK<ART SUPPLIES< ATHLETIC< etc.... GATORADE, ETC: THANKS

Highland Oaks Middle School 3

Posted August 11, 2010
My daughter attended HOM 3 years. For us, parents it was like a nightmare. Even though my daughter was in gifted program and grades were not so bad I did not feel she was safe there. Some kids were expelled for the drugs in 6 grade!!! My daughter was also complaining about kids fighting in the bus, before school, and in the hallways during class changes. New principal did try really hard to make it better and I think it turn to be really better. The teachers were very good though even they seemed overwhelmed. The building is very old and does not have windows. Honestly, I was very disappointed to see that this is one of the top rated Miami-Dade schools in Aventura.

Posted March 23, 2010
I am a student at HOM and I actually advise anyone reading these reviews to disregard them because to be honest it does not take technology, or brand new desks or books, or the 'rich look' to make a good school. It takes good, dedicated studets and a positive attitude. There are not really any 'perfect schools' --that is, there are no schools in Miami-Dade that there is no fighting or all the teachers are awesome. Schools in Miami-Dade don't really get any better than this one. And if you are a good student, getting a 'C' or higher, you can go to field day, which is awesome!!!!!!!! (its like a fair and its free for the whole school) It may be pretty average, but it deserves respect =]

Posted August 22, 2009
I'm a student and see that there are few problems with the school 1. The school is old and I think we need a new one and desks there is alot of gum under them and some are broken. 2. Some teachers always come to work with a non teaching attitude others ar way fun. 3. I also think there should be more career choices 4 all students mostly 4 8th graders like classes that we can take to help us with our future jobs 4. We also need a technology update, I went to my brothers middle school and they have Mac computers in every room. 5. Also some new textbooks because some of them are very torn up pages ripped out of the book and hard covers torn off the book

Highland Oaks Middle School 2

Posted August 17, 2009
My daughter attended last year for 4 months before I took her out of the school even though she was getting straight A's because I did not feel she was safe there. My daughter would complain about kids fighting before school and in the hallways during class changes. My personal experience with the teachers was that they seemed overwhelmed because it was very difficult to reach them to communicate about my child. The building was very old and run down. I am disappointed to see that this is one of the top rated Miami-Dade schools.

Posted August 14, 2009
I am a student at Highland Oaks Middle School the school is overcrowed and not very well maintained but there is some really good teachers. some teachers just do notes and you arre just on your own and some teachers explain and loves their sudent and you can see that in their faces. I think the principle is good but has been more pushy then our previous principal. she can cancelled some fun trips but in a way she had to because eit was the pnly way to stop buling and fighting. Although we are not aloud to wear jeans under our team t shirts anymore and before we did that was the basic reason why most of the school wore it. I think we should get more non uniform day For my 5th grade I was in Highland Oaks Elementary School and the people there for example at the administratin

Highland Oaks Middle School 2

Posted June 26, 2009

Posted June 06, 2009

Highland Oaks Middle School
2375 Northeast 203rd Street, Miami, FL  33180
Last modified Highland Oaks Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland Oaks Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top