Norma Butler Bossard Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1289 students

Posted yesterday

My daughter completed the VPK program last year and had an excellent experience! The teachers were not only extremely loving and caring, but made sure that she learned more than what was required for a pre-k student! I am very grateful that she was able to participate in the program!

Posted June 7, 2014

I am amazed by the great job all the teachers and staff in general do day after day, year after year. I wouldn't change a thing. We have two kids at the school and we have experienced all grade levels. Teachers are amazing and go beyond helping your child. Feels like a big family to us.

Posted December 5, 2013

The administration at this school SUCKS. everyone is extremely RUDE. no manners, don't even greet the parents HORRIBLE they should really attend a customer service class...

Posted June 28, 2013

I graduated from the 5th grade class of 2013 at NBB with Mrs.Kelly Hobby. She has been an amazing teacher.I loved the way she taught every subject to the class, in other words she was an amazing teacher. She never lost focus and was always determined to help all of her students learn and succeed.Thank you for being you, for a great school year, recess, and for always going the extra mile as a teacher.I can t think of a teacher who could have made this year any more special than you did. I will always remember you.

Posted June 11, 2013

My son is now graduating from the 5th grade class at NBB with Ms. Kelly Hobby. She has been an amazing teacher. The students enjoyed going to school because she made learning fun. She never lost focus on what was important in the curriculum and always made sure the students had the opportunity to ask questions and understand the topic. I could always reach out to her for feedback on his assignments and grades. My son received all 5s in his FCAT Science, Math and Reading and a lot of it has to do with Ms. Hobby's skills of being a teacher. She will be missed.

Posted January 25, 2013

I love this school! I think adminstration has done a wonderful job taking care of such an enormous amount of students and parents. The teachers love what they do and go above and beyond the call of duty. Everyone has a bad day, there is always a transitional period when new leadership comes to a new place, and although this principal is different than the previous one, I think Ms. Medina is great. She is helpful and compassionate and loves what she does.

Posted October 22, 2012

Somohano not qualified enough! I've heard great comments about NBB, though I have encountered bad experiences with the Assistant Principal Lorena Somohano. She has snapped at my daughter (K) twice for no reason. First time Ms. Somohano did not know I was around and spoke to her in a MEAN way. Second time I was present and could not believe someone with a positon as a Assistant Principal would not have the skills to speak or at least pay attention to what kids have to say. Ignoring does not nurture or lead to anything positive, especially if a K student is approaching you to express something. May not affect your day, but definately affects theirs! I held back as I don't want any reprisals to be taken against my daughter. Though everyone else has been very nice and helpful.

Posted October 15, 2012

I do not like the school principal NBB. Ms Medina is mediocre. She don't know how to talk to students and parents. She don't know how to organize activities. Last Christmas was a poor performance at the Christmas show and was her fault. The other school principal who was better and was who put high the name of the school, now she is no longer in school and everything is a mess. The teachers and staff are very good. They deserve a better leader.

Posted September 4, 2012

I like the school and the staff but it is way overcrowded these kids must come from other districts no way so many live in this small district... 36 kids in a Kindergarten class is crazy!!!!!! Also quite a few unattended children left alone in the courtyard before school opens with no supervision ..

Posted May 14, 2012

I cannot stress enough how outstanding the Pre-K program is at NBB. The teachers are more than qualified for this program. I have my daughter there and its incredible how advanced she is now compared to the begining of the school year. Mrs. Reid & Mrs. Ojeda are such beautiful woman, inside & out! Thank you for teaching my little one everything she know today!!

Posted March 15, 2012

Having a doctoral degree in human behavior I fully grasp the concept of nurturing, exciting and motivating a young brain. Being a working single mother of two I am appreciative of all the help I can get in stimulating my little one's brains with knowledge while enjoying the process! My boys are in the Extended Foreign Language program and I could not be any happier with the teachers they have had. Mrs. Gonzalez in kindergarten is a gem. I always felt her support in educating my sons. My older son now has mrs. Ramos. I could not be happier as a parent. She is lovingly strict with motherly expectations of all of her students. She is caring and takes any amount of her personal time to discuss your child with you! I am so pleased to have this staff at this school on my team in helping me educate my children. I am extremely happy with my choice of placing them here and not in private school! I must also comment on NBB's drama and chorus curriculum. Having attended other school drama functions, NBB STANDS OUT!!!! Great job! Will continue to do my part to make this school continue to do its exemplary job! Congratulations!!

Posted March 1, 2012

The best teachers ever!!! Our daughters entered Norma Butler Bossard in the fall of 2010 in the Pre-K program with two of the most amazing teachers ever, Mrs. Ojeda and Mrs. Reid. Together these teachers make a solid team. They not only nurture their pre-k students with way advanced teachings (college work as they call it) but fill each day with endless love and happiness. When the pre-k year ended, our girls were more than ready for Kindergarten and beyond. Thank you Mrs. Ojeda and Mr. Reid. You are the greatest and the girls absolutely adore you!

Posted February 29, 2012

Norma Butler Bossard is an amazing school. When our twin daughters were ready for Pre-K, my husband and I really contemplated placing our children in a public school. Today we are happy to say that we are extremely happy we chose Norma Butler. All around this school is a wonderful and the staff is incomparable. The principal and both the assistant principals are solid leaders who care for each and every kid in the school and know exactly who each child is. The teachers really care that their students are receiving the utmost learning experience and really take pride in what they do. By far, I have never heard of or seen such a large public school like NBB that has such a family environment. Without a doubt, our daughters are in the best school ever!

Posted February 11, 2012

I wanted to commend the prek teachers, Mrs. Ojeda and Mrs. Reid. My daughter went for her annual check up and informed her doctor that her heart pumps blood through her body, her lungs help her breath air and her skeleton held it all together! The doctor was extremely impressed with her ability to articulate all that information. My daughter told her she was studying the human body this week. I was extremely proud of both my daughter and her teachers! Thank you Ms. Ojeda & Ms. Reid! You guys are the best! My daughter loves you guys and so do I.

Posted June 8, 2011

I just want to say this is an amazing school! My daughter attended Pre-K and Ms. Ojeda and Ms. Reid are the best teachers ever!!! My daughter is very prepared for kinder he knows how to read and write. The love and care she received from there was so amazing!!

Posted April 26, 2011

This is a great school with amazing teachers. I transfered my daughter from Calusa to NBB and what a change! she is happy and confident and doing great. Her teachers (Ms. Baez/Ms. Westbrook) are the best even with 40+ kids in the class room. I regret not having transfer sooner.

Posted September 25, 2010

Thank you to the teacher that commented on my review, I'm the concerned grandmother. Yes, I just found out there is a teacher on the second floor making sure everything goes smoothly. I am very happy about my 3 grandkids teachers. I have a grandson in 2nd grade, one of his teachers is Mr. Best, and yes I agree with some of the comments, he is a wonderful teacher. The other teacher is Ms. Lopez, a great teacher as well. My only concern is the amount of kids in many of the classrooms, 40 is a little too much. I have been a volunteer for 3 years. I want to go back to helping in the cafeteria, lack of adult supervision, but I hear no parents allow during lunch hour. NBB is one of the best schools in the area, but not as organized as it used to be.

Posted August 25, 2010

I just would like to put the concerned grandmother at ease. I am a teacher at NBB and I guarantee to you that the kids are being watched on the second and third floor. The administration pays teachers overtime to come in at 7:30 am and monitor around the second and third floors. If you have any other questions please ask the administration. Your kids are safe. :)
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 1, 2010

The school was exelent when the first principal was there, now its a mess' last year for my kids thank's god.

Posted March 10, 2010

Frst and foremost I beleive parent involvement is a key to a successful student. They are there to partner not do theie job and your job too. My daughter is a fifth grade gifted student. I could not be more pleased with the school and staff. If your child gets Mr. Best...remember his name he is just that ..THE BEST! YOU WILL NEVER FORGET HIM HE IS TRULY A GIFT AND HE LOVES WHAT HE DOES AS DO MANY TEACHERS AT THE SCHOOL. Other teachers to mention..Mrs. Carver (excellent gifted teacher) Dr. Blose,Ms. Clement , Ms. Porras, Mr Nest, Shiloh (after school) and Assistant Ms. Somohano. I am forever grateful for all they have given Kiana..Thank you ...Carla Bustamante

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

195 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

195 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

230 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

230 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

227 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

230 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15950 Southwest 144th Street