Richmond Heights Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 564 students

Posted June 17, 2014

I have graduated RHMS Class of 2014 and I can say that my experience had its ups and downs. I was in their zoo magnet program and honestly, that's the reason I stayed for my three years. I was in the gifted program, there was teachers that I liked and some I didn't. The staff are usually rude to other students. Except it seems that the EBD students are treated better than the regular/advanced/gifted. Although the staff was disrespectful, the administration try to strive for their students to succeed in any way possible. I would give this school a 3 out of 5 stars. It was okay.

Posted January 12, 2014

From speaking from years ago attending thiz school,this is a great school.I remember back in the day me,and my siblings use to attend Richmond Junior during our middle school years.We attended 6-8 grade here.The teachers are really great.Especially the special education teachers here,working with students with learning disabilities.They are AWESOME.The Principle,Teachers,and staff takes so much pride in the students here.The atmosphere here, is a warm,loving atmosphere for the students.These teachers go above and beyond for the students here.Plus,the students here are like sisters,and brothers here.They are sweet students.I remember back in the day,me and my siblings and our classmates use to come to school an hour early in the mornings just to walk to "Mr Jerrys" he was the king of snacks back in the day.Plus,the school had pep rallys,and etc for the students.Lord,knows those were the vood school days for us.

Posted October 19, 2013

The problem I have with this school is that they make it so hard to try and change classes for your child so they would not sit there and fail. I have been trying to get my child's classes changed and I am at a lost.

Posted September 30, 2012

Richmond Heights middle is a great school! My son is a new 6th grader to the school and I must admit that I LOVE THE SCHOOL! We live really far from the school and my son has to catch the train and bus to school everyday but it is well worth it. I love that the teachers and administration are strict and very involved in the students education. My son actually enjoys going to school. If I can give more then 5 stars I woulds.

Posted August 20, 2011

wow, who ever wrote the post on July 2, 2011-- you are very right about the school not teaching you "a thing". It's obvious that you did not learn how to spell or use any proper grammar. I hope that in the new school you attend you learn how to spell and learn how to use proper grammar. Best of luck to you.

Posted August 15, 2011

This school was the best thing that ever happen to me! I made so many friends that I STILL have with me! The teachers are amazing and they relationship with them is even greater! I went to high school fully prepared and graduated with honors BECAUSE of RHMS! My English teacher (she who shall not be named) was like my mom! Because of her I walk through life with my head up high and learned to pick my fights. I have so much to thank this school for and giving it a low score or bad review would be a lie and not right at all!

Posted July 2, 2011

this school is the most horrible school that ive ever been to i wont miss it not a single day that goes bye i dont understand how people can actually like this school i agree with the very second person writeing this school dose not teach u a thing the teachers dont care about us students i attented this school for a few months and just bye those few months this school scared me to tell you the truth i know im only a student and parents probaly wont care what i think but a t least think before you put your child in this school beacause its terible and horrible all mixed together

Posted March 24, 2011

I have attended Richmond for 3 years and let me tell you that I enjoyed those years. People say that the teachers don't teach you anything,but the truth is that they do teach you,and very well. It is up to the student on whether they want to learn or not. They have amazing magnet programs that can help you get high school credits. I was in the zoo magnet program and I would always look forward to go to the zoo everyday.I also went to plenty of feild trips while I was there. It is true that there are fights,but EVERY school has fights,people just like to point out the negative things about this school and leave the good in the dark. Just because the school has a low grade doesn't mean one won't learn. When I finished middle school I entered high school and took all 10th grade classes in my first year,Richmond helped me get ahead.the teachers try and prepare you for High school as well as they can so you wont have to struggle. Overall Richmond is a good school.In the end it is up to the student on whether they are willing to be responsible and learn.

Posted August 23, 2010

Richmond has its ups and downs... like all schools. My first year was the 09- 10 school year and It was everything but terrible. My teachers were humorous, but got the job done. All you have to do, which most kids fail to do, is to be quiet and listen and your experience there will be one of the best. Now I believe this school is underfunded, therefore there isnt many fieldtrips. Now to zoo magnet. One word.... AMAZING! If you love animals, this is the program for you! The teachers appeal to the children's nature. Bullying and stealing is a bit of a problem but not a very high problem, but most schools deal with this. I highly recommend this school. A raider 4 eva xoxoxo <3 u RICHMOND

Posted May 9, 2010

I never learned a thing from this school, trust me whoever is reading this, dont put your child in this school. It teaches you nothing at all. Thats the reason why i moved out of the area.

Posted April 22, 2010

I've been teaching at Richmond Heights Middle School for ~6 years. This has been a gratifying and uplifting experience for me. I've watched my students grow academically and mature into responsible teens. However, the best part is when a child says 'thank you' or 'I didn't know I could do that'. It warms my heart, when a student returns five years later to say how Richmond Heights Middle School prepared him//her for high school. I love my school! I don't want to teach anywhere else. Great students are educated at RHMS. Great teachers work at RHMS!!! Come see for yourself.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 22, 2010

Working at Richmond Heights Middle is like working in family. The students are my children and my coworkers are my brothers and sisters. The administrators are our parents who take good care of us and supplies or try to supply our needs. We are team players. When parents come to Richmond, they have the opportunity to meet with the entire team of teachers who teach his or her child. We always come with our A game.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 8, 2010

Richmond Heights middle school has its ups and downs. Some people say this school is a place to go to if you get turned down by every other. I myself, as well as others, say different. Richmond Heights Middle School is amazing. Teachers can be humorous to the students liking, and still teach. Others may be tough, but it is all but the school experience. Now let me get into Zoo magnet. It is so fun to see the kids wonder where you are going, when you go behind the scenes, or when you go into the zoo classrooms. And Some teachers are very fun and appeal to the students sense of humor. Like the other teachers, they dont play, but they do at times also. I do recommend coming to this school, and I know you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Posted January 13, 2010

This school has changed my child's life. The teachers and supporting staff are excellent and the administration WONDERFUL!! The Zoo Magnet program and the Agriscience department provide unique opportunities for your child to find and pursue their interests and most importantly the Administration has control of the students so the campus feels pleasant and secure. I reside in North Miami and there is a 'good' school right behind my house but Richmond Middle is an 'Excellent' school. This has been the best school year of 'both' of our lives and has been well worth the transportation time. Instead of dragging him to school now he's involved in too many extra curricular programs to mention. His life has changed and I will be forever indebted to the school. They have Exceeded Excellence!

Posted November 11, 2009

I have been a former student for 3 years from 2005-2009 and Richmond is not for the faint of heart because there are the inevitable fights, cursing and bullying but Richmond has prepared me for the world and going to this school made who i am today. And who i am today is a straight A student who will be respected and won't be persuaded to do dumb stuff. I love Richmond and my heart twinges every time I think about all the good times i had there. It's fun and the zoo magnet is the best, you practically go to the zoo every day and see all the animals (depends on your teacher). Richmond Radiers Forever!!

Posted December 28, 2008

I use to attend this school for all 3 years. When I first got there I was so frightened I had heard all about how 'bad' this school was. It was all lies. This school teaches you to stand up for yourself ,and it gives you choices. Who you are when you eave RHMS will give you a good idea of who you're going to be in the future. The teachers are a little mean, but hey you can't be babied forever. I didn't get an end of the year field trip either ,but I got a great middle school experience. The teacher are comical, the security are wise (yes, very wise) ,and the spirit of the school will always be in my heart. People say Richmond kids are all the rejects of the other schools ,I believe those people are close-minded. Raiders Forever&&ever.

Posted October 14, 2008

The teachers there scare you a little too much about high school. They tell you 'high school teachers won't allow that' when ever you do something wrong. It's true high school did change a little but for the most part it was the same. If you really would like to enjoy your middle school experience i don't recommend richmond heights. They rarely ever do fieldtrips. The year i attended the kids had to beg the teachers & raise their own money to do an edn of the year field trip.

Posted March 2, 2008

I attended this school for almost a full year and the curriculum setup is confusing, the classes are overcrowded, there are problems with theft, fights, and bullying; the morale of the students is terrible and there is a general feeling of hopelessness. Even the way that the school is set up for extracurricular activities and 'fun' days is competitive and discouraging; they encourage competition between factions of the enrolled classes and it is not always expressed positively. The administration seems overwhelmed by the sheer number of students and the students' problems.

Posted July 14, 2007

I did not have problem with textbooks or homework given. I think the curriculum is fine, my problem was getting in touch with certain teachers for feedback. Hope there will be improvements in 2007-08

Posted February 24, 2006

This is the first year my son has attended Richmond middle and so far the experience has been fine. He was not doing so well in math and I was notified early on by his teacher and counselor and my calls were returned right away. Also there was a problem with another child 'bullying' my child and that was settled right away, the bullying was not anything major, but the two had to meet in the counselor's office and it was taken care of right away. My son has enjoyed his experience thus far as well. There is also a great magnet program at this school witch I heard was really great and awesome. There is also a lot of sports programs and extracurricular activities that the children can be a part of, even transportation is provided. The parents seem to be involved, but I believe that there is room for improvement.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

223 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

223 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

153 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

170 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

187 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

188 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

184 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

241 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 9%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Gym

• MS. KRISTAL B HICKMON
Fax number
  • (305) 251-3712

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options