Posted November 20, 2014
This is my child's third year and we could not be happier. She loves her school, her friends, her teachers and most of all learning. A Waldorf Education is not for everyone, so I agree you should research and make sure its a good fit for your family. We have made lifelong friends with the other parents and we genuinely love them and their children. If its right for you, you will love it.

Sunrise School of Miami 1

Posted June 27, 2014
Be careful with this school! They make it sound so fantastic but there are some very strange things going on there. My son wasn't allow to talk about Sponge Bob, he wasn't able to sing songs not taught at the school and he had to hide the logos of his clothes!!! He was forced to run around the field a few time in the blazing sun over saying the word "heck" and had to stay in one room the whole day, (even for lunch) because they don't have a cafeteria. The academic level is very low. My son, who has a slightly above average reading level, seemed like a reading hero compared to the kids who had learned how to read there. My son's teacher lacked empathy, was cold, and was more concerned about enforcing non-sense rules than actually teaching and connecting emotionally with the students. That is exactly the opposite of what I intended to find in a "holistic school", like they are supposed to be.

Posted February 15, 2014
My daughter is now in her second year at Sunrise and awakes each and every morning happy to go to her school. Learning at Sunrise (and within a Waldorf curriculum) is not a two-dimensional exercise, but touches upon the spiritual and honors the child as a unique and loving soul. This may sound New Age to some, but as an educator I am saddened and frustrated at the current state of education. Children are no longer given the freedom to learn through play, and their imagination and creativity are stifled through senseless testing and homework assignments, and mind numbing textbooks. Sunrise School of Miami is community. We have made close friendships with the other parents in part because we all share the same ideas and concerns about education. We greatly value the spiritual, emotional, creative development of our children because these are essential building blocks of any learning, and of intellectual growth. Sunrise School of Miami is also a very special place because of its teachers. These are individuals who are truly committed to their craft.. My daughter s teachers connect with her in a very profound manner. I strongly encourage others to explore Sunrise.

Posted January 11, 2014
The families who send their kids to Sunrise School of Miami are just wonderful! We moved our 2 kids to this school over a year ago, and it was a good decision. My daughter runs with the other kids to see who can get in the early childhood classroom (age 4-6) first every morning. My kids beg me to go to "aftercare" so they can be with their friends, and even then, at the end of the day, I have to drag them out of the school! The teachers are first rate. They are responsive, attentive, and genuinely care. Be sure that Waldorf method is right for your family, and if so, you and your kids will adore this school.

Posted November 14, 2012
The more and more I experience my children's education at Sunrise School of Miami, the more grateful I feel. This school, its teachers and administration have dedicated their time and efforts to develop the well being of the students. Which each passing year, we have been able to see little ones develop into centered young adults with amazing futures in many of the best High Schools and Universities around the Country. If you are interested in Waldorf Education, I encourage you to visit the School, speak with the teachers, parents and perhaps participate in some of our school events. Waldorf education is not only about Academics, it is about respect, love and community. It requires more from the parents than many other schools, but realizing that the fruit of our work as parents is a that of a warm environment, makes it all worth it.

Posted June 07, 2012
Our children are finishing their third year SSOM. It is a place where a whole community cares about the child. They are taught in a way that stays with them for the rest of their lifes. The teachers and administrators are very open and supportive and thankfully keep the children as their priority. They love parents, but the children certainly come always first! The facility is clean and beautiful, with a vegatable garden integrated into the playground, giving kids a real appreciation of the Earth's bounty.

Posted May 07, 2012
Parents: Things you should know about Sunrise School of Miami: -If you are interested in fostering your child's complete well-being, physically, spiritually, AND intellectually, through the means of honoring and valuing his childhood: this school is for you. -If you find you are impatient, judgmental, close-minded/close-hearted, unwilling to look inside yourselves and strive for betterment as a human being, have larg egos or any other self-perpetuating negativity: this schools is ABSOLUTELY NOT for you. -If you are willing to accept that it is a growing school with unlimited potential, but in conjunction with that potential MUST be devotion, selflessness, compassion, and hard work: this school is for you. -If you tend to struggle with insecurities within the realms of, but not limited to: jealousy, resentment, attraction to drama, quick tempers, guilt, or projecting: this school is NOT for you. -If you want your child to reach his potential as who he is destined to be, while allowing him the freedom to explore that potential, at a school that aims to involve community, parents, teachers and mentors: this school is for you. Join us!

Posted May 04, 2012
We were at first a little hesitant about the Waldorf method but our doubts were quickly erased. We moved our son from an academically advanced charter school to the Sunrise School mid-year and were surprised to see that he had to catch up on a few subjects. The experience so far has been phenomenal. Our son has grown as an independent thinker and his creativity has blossomed. He reads frequently now and we have even seen an increase in his overall confidence. His teacher will be one that leaves an impact on him forever. All his classmates and even the ones in the other grades seem so happy to be there and are all exceptionally friendly. We found that approaching the administrators with questions was easy. The accessibility to the teachers was most surprising and the parent involvement is more than adequate. If you are looking for more than just a school, but rather a caring community that puts the child first, this is school should be on top of your list.

Sunrise School of Miami 1

Posted May 02, 2012
Considering this school? BEWARE. I am a lover and true believer of the Waldorf method and theory. If you are too, than this school is NOT for you. It is a very badly run school with administrators who have no idea how to deal with parents, and in some cases, children. There are MANY unhappy children and families that attend this school and many are bullied by faculty and administration not to speak openly. For the time we spent at this school, my child has gained creativity and for that I am happy. However, my child has also dealt with unruly children and teachers that can not take control. Children with learning abilities far behind where they should be - even for a Waldorf curriculum, and a whole host of other issues. When a parent shows a concern about anything, they are essentially ignored and then "black listed." And in some cases their child may be targeted as well. The main problem with this school is the total lack of knowledge by administrators of how to run a school and how to handle parents and normal situations that arise in school. I urge you to look elsewhere and not get sucked into how beautiful they make their school appear. "Never judge a book by it's cover."

Posted December 19, 2010
If you want your child to grow up independent and full of courage to be their own person - then send them to Sunrise School of Miami - it is not your traditional school. I gained so much during my time as a student and am proud to be a graduate from here. Check out www.whywaldorfworks.org or www.sunriseschoolofmiami.org

Sunrise School of Miami
8795 SW 112th Street, Miami, FL  33176
Last modified Sunrise School of Miami is a Private school that serves grades 1-8
Sunrise School of Miami Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top