Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1981 students

Posted June 18, 2014

I started my first year in this school and it's pretty nice, it does have it's problems too. Problems are the 8th graders think they own school so it's hard they pick on you and they know if your a sixth grade. But i haven't had any 8th graders pick on me since i don't talk to any and try my best to get outta trouble. The teachers are helpful and care to educate you. I came to the school with an F in math and finished my first year with a B in the class. The intensive classes don't really help at all since they just teach you what you learned in your regular class so it's a bummer i did not learn anything in intensive the only way i got by learning was in my regular math because all i had to do was focus. The school has its ups and downs the security guards should learn to keep their mouth shut when they curs around students and they should handle the 8th graders bullying everyone else in the lower grades other than that i give the school 4 stars.

Posted April 13, 2014

If there was such a thing as a grading scale for students to rate their level of satisfaction at their school, from 1 to 10, I'd chose 9. I'm a soon-to-be ninth grader, and I'm proud to say Jorge Mas Canosa's been the school that has nurtured my mind and helped me grow emotionally and mentally, from an awkward kid to a future professional who knows her stuff. It's like a station in my educational career I had to pass, to really get my priorities and goals straight.When I discovered I wanted to be an architect, in sixth grade, my classmates were learning about linear perspective, and we had to draw a view of a city with what we had learned. I made a view from Dubai's famous skyscraper Burj; my teacher said it was cool but I should stick to rectangle buildings.I was in awe whenever I glanced at my first drawing.There was something about doing that, of the complexity of how such buildings were built and were capable of still standing in their grandeur without falling and squashing us mortals. I told my maths teacher I was interested in this subject, and she gladly explained that it was math that made it possible.Thanks to this, last March I applied for the engineering magnet program.

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter attended this school and she was very happy. At this moment my other two sons are attending and they have the same teacher as my daughter had. They are very professional and they respond to my emails or calls the same day.

Posted September 25, 2013

Parents are saying good things about this school because what they are listening to is what their children are saying that probably enjoy the constant problems. I attended middle school there and I can say it was the worst three years of my life and I don't miss that school not one bit. There were constant fights, one morning up to 4 fights one right after the other. Several teacher were ridiculous I had injured my hip and my p.e coach made me run anyways. When problems were adressed to the school they were handled in all the wrong ways but I'm just glad I'm out of there and just for everyone to know I was in the cambridge program with great grades but I doubt any parent would want their child going to a C school.

Posted July 23, 2013

My daughter loved it JMC, The teachers are excellent, I feel calm and relaxed.. when I see my daughter happy...Priceless peace in my mind..!!

Posted August 16, 2012

My daughter attended the Cambridge academy which was beyond my expectations. She has flourished academically and challenged in a way that I had never imagined. The Cambridge teachers are more like involved parents and professional professors themselves - preparing these children for a true academic and ambitious life. They are the MOST involved teachers I have ever met, EVER! My daughter felt safe and sheltered from the rest of the school but did mention that having come from Zelda where the rules are more strict re: dress code and discipline, she did witness a lot more fighting and middle school type problems than before. I highly reccomend the Cambridge Academy and the teachers that really taught and treated my child as if they were at University level. I even feel that the exposure to a less strict environment better prepared my child for high school and better built her character and self confidence. Thank u JMC!

Posted January 15, 2012

JMC and it's Cambridge Magnet program is simply amazing. I was hoping that my son would have an ok experience in middle school after hearing how tough these middle school years can be on students. Well I guess they haven't sent them to the right place. There is so much good happening here. From the curriculum, to the student activities, to the administration. They offer everything from morning care to community classes and even adult classes. JMC has become a beacon of hope and admiration for the residents of West Kendall. Keep up the great work.

Posted April 19, 2011

This school is very cool i like it, because theirs block scheduale and hopefully they keep it like that. They need too make better food for lunch time and no homework. Homework is a waste of our time after us students that actually pay attention have too go home and do homework after 8 hours of school thats not right, especially on fridays. They also need too GET RID OF the tucking in the shirt of uniform. My favorite part of school is physical education because you get too work your body out and get a mental brake from thinking and its relaxing.

Posted October 26, 2010

I love JMC because they care about your child and their future. The staff and teachers are focused & dedicated on making it happen for any child that is willing to make a difference. I'm also very pleased about their School's Safety Procedures and Security.Thank you JMC!!! MMA

Posted September 12, 2010

I have been a teacher at Charter schools for five years now. My son was in a very small charter school, but I moved him to JMC in order to give him a new challenge and take advantage of the magnet program. School has only been in session for three weeks, so I am cautiosly optimistic, but so far, I am VERY pleased. My son is a relatively shy student, and he has made friends easily. The counselors have been incredibly helpful, and he likes all of his teachers except one (you can't expect perfection in that area). So far, 5 stars!!!

Posted March 23, 2010

The school's administration has been excellent with all of my conerns regarding my children, which attend this school. There is security and administration present at all times that I have been there especially before and after school. I highly recommend this school, my kids are pround to be a part of Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School and DEFINITELY A VERY SAFE SCHOOL.

Posted March 23, 2010

i don't think that my school is bad. the facility's are clean and the teachers are wonderful and we have a excellent gifted/honors curriculum. so i honestly think that my school is one of the best

Posted March 17, 2010

This school is a complete dissapointment. The administration takes no lead or concerns in the serious issues they have with bullying and behavorial issues. The school board should take serious action in watching this school. It is a shame based where it is located that the school's administrators ignore parental concerns. It is DEFINITELY NOT A SAFE SCHOOL. Shame on them.

Posted March 16, 2010

I love walking in the halls of jmc.Ive made many friends and have improved my education alot.When i entered i was at a 3rd grade reading level and now im at a 7th grade level .So teachers have been doing their jobs darn right .Its great, clean (unlike my old school),and fun.The principle (ms.Silva) has tried very hard this year and is doing a great job. I understand that two years ago we recived a 'c' .But that was only due to the excuse that we didnt have 8th grader but now we will stay as an 'a'. So if you would like to registeryour child . I suggest that you do so.It would be nice to have another paladin join us!! Were the best of the best and will always be ...!! Goo palidians!!

Posted March 11, 2010

this school is great im about to graduate proudly from jorge mas canosa middle school and go to felix varela high school how this school is a 5 i do not know because we work our butt off teacher to non stop you dont really understand untill you go there really i get a 3 on my reading fcat but my nuber scores alway get higher same for math even though i always get a one but im confident that ill geet 5 on reading a 4 on math and 6 on writting cause that how great the school is thats how great the teaachers are and thyats how great i am!

Posted January 27, 2010

its a really good school i just hate the uniform that we got to tuck in our shirts but the rest is fine i love my school a lot!!!

Posted January 21, 2010

This school is one of the best ever and I've been hearing rumors that this school has fights all the time and that's not true,but we have fights every once in a life time.Also the teachers are awsome...no complians.And I recomend your child to come to this school he or she will like this very much!!! This school has manderin class if your child wants to learn a new language. I am proud to be a Paladin.... Go JMC

Posted October 8, 2009

it is the best the rules are perfect and all teachers are the best to one of the best schools i have ever met before for the best education thenk u jorge mas canosa

Posted October 8, 2009

jorge mas canosa is a great school with awesome teachers . the teacher staff principal and vice principal are very nice . jorge mas canosa has held a lot of cool stuff .

Posted October 8, 2009

i think this is not a very bad school but it isnt the best of all schools. i think this school needs a little more improovement. the teachers are good and the priceble but the rules are vety striced about tucking in the shirts. this is a scool not the dressing police. this school is still neet unlike others with grafiti.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

574 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

577 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

517 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

658 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

415 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

740 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

733 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

739 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

609 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

n/a

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (305) 252-5901

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options