Miami, FL
Students enrolled: 1,981

Posted March 17, 2015
My daughter is going to high school but the last two years she spent at this school have been the best. I am involved as a ptsa parent and I am often there. I have not one bad experience or comment about any of the employees or the behavior of the students. The administration is amazing, the teachers are great and dedicated. Everyone is helpful and all I have seen is great desire to improve the academics and to give these children a great school. Thanks to all of you at JMC for making my daughter experience memorable

Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School 3

Posted February 14, 2015
I'm a student at jmc, my last year, I don't dislike the school but it has much to improve on. The school makes students feel stressed whereas they are suppose to make you feel safe and well, educate you. Many unnecessary rules that just make the staff sound silly. The administrators can be extremely rude, when your eating breakfast they're yelling at you very loud to hurry up, even if there are like 20 minutes left. They also do that at lunch. The school can also be very irresponsible, there was a girl in the office whom asked for a menstrauation pad, the lady gave her a tiny panty liner and added "this is not Winn Dixie." I take much offense to that because you wouldn't want to walk around the school with an uncomfortable stain. She could've had consideration for the poor girl who has to go through that as every woman does. The school is suppose to have a supply of hygienic needs in case of an emergency. The education is well, some teachers don't even teach but honestly that will happen at which ever school. I'm in the Cambridge Gifted program and I cannot complain, academically. Although there is so much more to a school then just academic and we all know that.

Posted February 04, 2015
I attended Jorge Mas Canosa's Cambridge program taking gifted classes for 3 years, and it really was overall a great experience. The teachers are great, I never once had a teacher I disliked, and they all taught in a creative and hands-on way which really motivated me to do the work, and learn a great amount as well. They really did teach me so much- yet most of the time it was fun. This was my experience in the Cambridge program, and in my opinion it was a great program to attend.

Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School 4

Posted June 18, 2014
I started my first year in this school and it's pretty nice, it does have it's problems too. Problems are the 8th graders think they own school so it's hard they pick on you and they know if your a sixth grade. But i haven't had any 8th graders pick on me since i don't talk to any and try my best to get outta trouble. The teachers are helpful and care to educate you. I came to the school with an F in math and finished my first year with a B in the class. The intensive classes don't really help at all since they just teach you what you learned in your regular class so it's a bummer i did not learn anything in intensive the only way i got by learning was in my regular math because all i had to do was focus. The school has its ups and downs the security guards should learn to keep their mouth shut when they curs around students and they should handle the 8th graders bullying everyone else in the lower grades other than that i give the school 4 stars.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 13, 2014
If there was such a thing as a grading scale for students to rate their level of satisfaction at their school, from 1 to 10, I'd chose 9. I'm a soon-to-be ninth grader, and I'm proud to say Jorge Mas Canosa's been the school that has nurtured my mind and helped me grow emotionally and mentally, from an awkward kid to a future professional who knows her stuff. It's like a station in my educational career I had to pass, to really get my priorities and goals straight.When I discovered I wanted to be an architect, in sixth grade, my classmates were learning about linear perspective, and we had to draw a view of a city with what we had learned. I made a view from Dubai's famous skyscraper Burj; my teacher said it was cool but I should stick to rectangle buildings.I was in awe whenever I glanced at my first drawing.There was something about doing that, of the complexity of how such buildings were built and were capable of still standing in their grandeur without falling and squashing us mortals. I told my maths teacher I was interested in this subject, and she gladly explained that it was math that made it possible.Thanks to this, last March I applied for the engineering magnet program.

Posted September 26, 2013
My daughter attended this school and she was very happy. At this moment my other two sons are attending and they have the same teacher as my daughter had. They are very professional and they respond to my emails or calls the same day.

Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School 1

Posted September 25, 2013
Parents are saying good things about this school because what they are listening to is what their children are saying that probably enjoy the constant problems. I attended middle school there and I can say it was the worst three years of my life and I don't miss that school not one bit. There were constant fights, one morning up to 4 fights one right after the other. Several teacher were ridiculous I had injured my hip and my p.e coach made me run anyways. When problems were adressed to the school they were handled in all the wrong ways but I'm just glad I'm out of there and just for everyone to know I was in the cambridge program with great grades but I doubt any parent would want their child going to a C school.
3 people found this helpful

Posted July 23, 2013
My daughter loved it JMC, The teachers are excellent, I feel calm and relaxed.. when I see my daughter happy...Priceless peace in my mind..!!

Posted August 16, 2012
My daughter attended the Cambridge academy which was beyond my expectations. She has flourished academically and challenged in a way that I had never imagined. The Cambridge teachers are more like involved parents and professional professors themselves - preparing these children for a true academic and ambitious life. They are the MOST involved teachers I have ever met, EVER! My daughter felt safe and sheltered from the rest of the school but did mention that having come from Zelda where the rules are more strict re: dress code and discipline, she did witness a lot more fighting and middle school type problems than before. I highly reccomend the Cambridge Academy and the teachers that really taught and treated my child as if they were at University level. I even feel that the exposure to a less strict environment better prepared my child for high school and better built her character and self confidence. Thank u JMC!

Posted January 15, 2012
JMC and it's Cambridge Magnet program is simply amazing. I was hoping that my son would have an ok experience in middle school after hearing how tough these middle school years can be on students. Well I guess they haven't sent them to the right place. There is so much good happening here. From the curriculum, to the student activities, to the administration. They offer everything from morning care to community classes and even adult classes. JMC has become a beacon of hope and admiration for the residents of West Kendall. Keep up the great work.

Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School
15735 Southwest 144th Street, Miami, FL  33196
Last modified Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jorge Mas Canosa Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top