Miami Palmetto Senior High School

Public | 8-12 | 2714 students

Posted May 28, 2014

This school is terrible. Please parents do not send your kids here. Everyone at that school is very rude and not welcoming and the school itself is terrible. They steal from their students and treat them like they are nothing. They even called my daughter, who is a very respectful person, a liar. This school is very rude and I do not recommend sending your kids here.

Posted April 8, 2014

Fair warning, this is a big big school. If you or your child need individualized attention you will not get it here. My time at this school was one of the worst and darkest periods of my life. I'm by no means an idiot, but when I ran into roadblocks in the classroom I received very little help and that seriously tripped me up academically and I fell behind a lot. I fell through the cracks socially as well. I wasn't around healthy people and was the butt of many peoples jokes and remarks. If you need a healthy environment with more attention than a teacher with 150 students can give you don't go here. Size is not something the school can really help. Nor can they help the apathy of some instructors. I can say that my bumpy experience here truly prepared me for higher education. I learned what I liked, more about who I am. I learned to ask questions and that my education was worth getting those answers. I learned to choose better people to be in my life and I learned to love myself more cause no one else is going to do it for me. Thanks for the life-lessons Palmetto.

Posted January 16, 2014

Interesting school. Fun band, fun kids. A little bit challenging. Go to this school if you're a easy learner.

Posted January 16, 2014

The school is decent. Not the best but not the worst:) So I suppose that's how I feel about this school.

Posted September 28, 2013

This is the best comprehensive high school in the County (probably, the state too). With 27 APs, an iPrep Academy, the new Cambridge Magnet, a top-notch Jazz Band and other fine arts offerings, this school should be everyone's first choice. The Principal is dynamic, open-minded and energetic. Her administration is loyal and helpful. We are so fortunate to have Palmetto in our community!

Posted June 7, 2013

My kids are very happy and I enjoyed being a volunteer and it has been a great experience, havent had any complains.

Posted May 18, 2013

Palmetto has great academics and a huge slate of clubs, sports and extracurriculars. The facilities will be updated under the new bond. It's great having my kid in my neighborhood school!

Posted January 8, 2013

As with any school, some things about Palmetto are less than perfect. It's not the cleanest place and there are a lot of students. However, I am currently in my third year at Palmetto and I absolutely love it. If you are a good student, or at least show effort/respect towards your teachers and peers here they will go out of their way to help you. Involved students get the most out of their high school experience - any kids who don't like Palmetto probably wouldn't be happy at almost any school in the area. I chose to go to Palmetto over any private school that was offered to me. I chose Palmetto for their reputation as a competitive school in regards to grades, sports (some more than others) and productions (TVP, Yearbook, and my personal favorite - Newspaper). My teachers love their jobs and want to see students show pride in everything they do. The uniform is casual - your choice of spirit shirt (most every club has one per year so there are tons to choose from) and jeans - it's no big deal/inconvenience. My only issue is that school starts too early, but that's not Palmetto's fault.

Posted October 2, 2012

I am potential parent of this school. My son possible will go to this school soon he is studying in Shenzhen, China, but in the international class which is especially preparing the student to study in US at grade 12. For all the information I got from the internet, it is sure a very good school.

Posted September 13, 2012

I am an alumni, and I have two younger siblings who are alumni. If you are self motivated and have great support at home, you'll do well here, and rise above the filth. If you are from the Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay community, you'll find a culture shock from the disgusting Perrine and Cutler Ridge(Bay.. whatever they call it now) community which invades this school. There are bad students who are bused in, but the reality is the "gang" mentality comes form the administration at the school who are low class. Disgusting security guards and uneducated office staff ruin the school and hurt the student population. They smile and put on a nice face for parents and visitors, but they treat students disrespectfully and show a force of strength comparable to a prison yard. If your child is unprepared for the hard street mentality here, they might be damaged. On positive notes, majority of teachers are intelligent, well mannered and care about the students. Half of the students are also bright and come form good homes. 4/5 stars because sadly this school is better than most of the rest of Miami, but only because of the good families in the area.

Posted February 10, 2012

this school has a lot of hypocracy among girls. also the staff dosn't work like their suppose too. also the school is overcrowded. and the people are rude.

Posted December 31, 2011

I thought Palmetto was different, I thought it wasn't like southridge, but it is, your better off going to a private school, and if you can't afford it, try getting into Coral Reef, This school is nothing special.

Posted December 3, 2011

The school has gone downhill. There is a uniform, although it is not enforced unless you are wearing shorts. Forget the boys who have their boxers hanging out and girls who show off their bras, but if you're wearing shorts you're in trouble. Some of the teachers don't know how to teach and get annoyed when students ask for help. The school is disgusting. I once had a roach climb out from my locker. All the money is spent on the tv program at school, and I do like to know what is going on in the school, but I would also like to have some toilet paper in the bathroom ("They can't afford any") and would not like to walk into the bathroom and see a soap dispenser in the toilet for a week, even after it's been reported. The office staff do not help parents unless you yell across the desk for them repeatedly. It's a terrible school and really needs to get itself together.

Posted April 3, 2011

Miami Palmetto High School is consistently in the top 100 of "Forbes" best schools in the United States. Children can get the most or the least out of any school. As a 1962 graduate, let me remind you that dress codes back then were very restrictive -- and I'm sure today's standards would both shock and appall me. Go, Miami Palmetto - Go Panthers!

Posted March 15, 2011

The last three reviews are so over exaggerated. I have worked there for 10 years. We are the best comprehensive high school in Dade County and maybe the state. We don't choose our students. The reviewer who spoke of our girls dress is exaggerating. Our "easy" dress code is enforced and there are no pool party dressing. The phone policy is fantastic and yes some teachers are inconsistent, but it is better than the students constantly talking on the phone. Finally, our office staff is the very best. The person who spoke of the rudeness probably did not get what they wanted. Are we perfect...no, but we are very good at what we do.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 8, 2011

THIS SCHOOL IS AWfUL DO NOT I INSIST DO NOT GO HERE OR PUT YOUR KIDS HERE !!!

Posted February 8, 2011

This school is terrible, the faculty, staff, administrators don't pay attention to the students who need extra help. The office faculty have bad attitudes, they sit around acting like they're doing their jobs when they're reallly not.. The girls walk around and dress in clothes as if they were in a pool party. This school is overcrowded as well, don't put your children in this school, you'll regret it. Staff is rude.

Posted February 8, 2011

I'm a senior in this school. All my teachers are nice except one. She is really rude and disrespectful. I walked in the class putting my phone away and she saw me and demanded me to give it to her. I asked her, "Are you gonna give it back after class?" She said "No, I'm gonna give it to the principal and your parents have to come and pick it up." I was really angry when I heard that, because I don't live around the corner, we live really far from the school and my parents work. So the teacher wrote me up and I had to sit in CSI (indoor suspension) for 3 days and supposedly was gonna get my phone back the next day in the afternoon. when I went to pick it up, the receptionist in the front of the office who is also really rude and sarcastic said I am supposed to get it back after 5 days or before if my parents come pick it up. That is not with the admin told me, this school exaggerates with the phone policy. Give me a break.

Posted February 8, 2011

i think this school is bad and people are not doing there jobs right, and they are not polite towards the parents that walk in. iv'e witnessed i myself have been treated unproffessionally by the lady that sits in the front office. they have the students running the office while the staff runs there mouth off somebody needs to look in this school.

Posted November 16, 2010

Despite school appearances, the cream of the crop of Miami-Dade seems to find themselves at Palmetto. With a large selection of remarkably challenging AP classes such as Chemistry, Physics, Calculus BC, European History, Biology, etc, the elite students shine. The amount of frighteningly intelligent teenagers at this school is enough to make even your brightest son or daughter seem like any other average joe/jane. Unfortunately, Palmetto's strengths are not unchallenged. Competition in higher level classes is fierce creating demoralized students, the school's facilities, supplies and amazing teachers are in short supply, and the large amount of students who do not care for school bring the safety and quality of Palmetto down, while bringing the average class size up. Another flaw at MPSH is the counselor arrangement. There are FOUR counselors at Palmetto, one dedicated for 9th, and three for 10-12th grade. Do not expect one-on-one time very often. The idea to keep in mind for Palmetto is: if you want a personal experience with the staff, don't look for it here. Go to a private school instead.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

693 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

614 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

643 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

637 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

582 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

534 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Newsweek Top 100 High Schools (2007)
  • Envirothon National Champions (2004)
  • Top High School in the District for Athletics (2007)

Special education / special needs

• German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options