Miami Sunset Senior High School

Public | 9-12 | 1921 students

Posted October 22, 2008

I graduated from Sunset in June 2008 and now I attend the University of Florida! I am not alone, I know at least 10 of my classmates are here at UF too. It's a knight thing. Sunset is a great school. Consider yourself lucky if you go to this school. I loved it!!!

Posted September 29, 2008

Miami Sunset Senior High is a phenomenal school. I can say that because I attended the school all four years from my freshman year to my senior year. Sunset was built in 1977 and opened its doors that same year. Beginning in the late 1990s, Sunset became one of many overcrowded schools in the county, due to the recent population explosion in the metropolitan area. It is one of the best schools I have ever attended were I have learned alot over all courses. not only did i learn but teachers also showed us real life uses. If it wasn't for miami sunset senior high I don't know where I'd be today. As of today I am currently enrolled into one of florida's best colleges and my major is business concentrating on industrial business. Thank you so much miami sunset senior high. Graduate of 2008 Moises Gutierrez

Posted September 15, 2008

I am so glad that I transferred out of Coral Reef to go here. This school is amazing. I took several different electives and the AP classes are challenging, and nobody acts like they are better than you. Don't fall into the magnet trap...they really keep you locked into one box!!! Sunset has brought me back to life. I'm looking forward to college.

Posted August 9, 2008

i love my school =) its wonderful great teachers and great after school activities

Posted May 2, 2008

Without a doubt this is the best school in Miami Dade. Safe, Fun, and Educational. Sunset graduates get into the same colleges as the mega magnet, and are much better rounded and prepared for the real world. The spirit of the school is amazing, I should know I transfered out of the Reef because of the back stabbing. Best decision I ever made. Go Knights!!! I'm off to Princeton.

Posted January 8, 2008

I am currently a student at miami sunset senior high school and I am in the top ten of the school. Along the way, I have met some inspiring teachers and unique individuals with bright futures ahead of them. It just goes to show that the grade given to schools is only so because of the variety of students in that school...You can't hide that knight pride!

Posted October 30, 2007

Although ranked as a 'D' school, Miami Sunset is a superior academic institution. The teachers there enjoy their profession and do an excellent job sharing their love of knowledge with their students. I am proud to be a Sunset Knight.

Posted September 14, 2007

Sunset is a great school. The students really care about each other and they are so spirited!!!Very very safe environment. It was great for my son because he could chose to take a variety of classes that he liked, as opposed to a magnet school where you are forced to study one thing for 4 years. My daughter went to the Reef and after the 2nd year she wanted to study something else and could not, so from experience I would recommend Sunset over any magnet program.

Posted September 12, 2007

I went there. Excellent school, excellent staff!

Posted July 13, 2007

I'm very dissapointed in the administration. For the past 2 years the school has been steadily declining. Sunset was 1 point away from a B rating two years ago and now they are a D school. That is unacceptable. The website is below average and nothing is being done to improve the schools reputation. The English language is not a priority there and it shows in the test scores. Our students deserve better!

Posted June 29, 2007

This is a 'D' school!!!! I blame the administration. There is no attempt to increase student achievement.

Posted June 26, 2007

All 4 of my children have attended Miami Sunset Senior High. My fourth child will graduate from Sunset High School in 2008. My children did very well at Sunset and were always involved in extra curriculum activities. Advisors and administrators have always responded immediately to any of my concerns. Sunset has an outstanding security system. I will continue to look forward to be associated with Sunset High School as I now have 3 grandchildren of which two will attend Sunset High. Hats of to Sunset Knights! Gloria Vallina
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted June 12, 2007

The most spirited and safe school in Miami! The academic opportunities are great. The teachers are experienced and the students really get along.I transfered from the reef because of gangs, and this school is so much safer. The AP classes are challenging, but much better than the other school.

Posted June 27, 2006

Im not a parent. I am a student at sunset. I am going into my senior year and I am moving out of the state and I am verry sad to leave. It is a great school. I love it. I went to another school before and it dosent even compare. Everyone is sooo school spirited and its verybig in sports. Its just great

Posted January 7, 2006

Very good school in academics and sports. My niece is very happy to be a student in that school. The counselors are very understanding and they help the students out when need be.

Posted August 19, 2005

Great school ... all three of my children graduated from Sunset. One of my children Nicole was in the top 20 hitters list for Miami for girls softball. Parent involvement is up in the past three years.

Posted August 12, 2005

Not good academic programs. Very few extracurricular actvities. Hardly no parent involvement.

Posted July 26, 2005

this school is a dedicated one the quality of academic programs is accessible and the deciation superb almost all sports are available and the level of parent involvement is sufficient

Posted July 26, 2005

I graduated from Sunset senior and I have a wonderful respect for all the teachers that shaped my love for the arts. The over crowded problems of the past were remedied by the expansion of the building.

Posted June 16, 2005

I am currently a student at MS, a senior, and thus my experience so far has been quite a challenge. The faculty including teachers, administrators, and other staff are very dedicated in providing us a great educational experience. The teachers definitely stimulate our cerebral cortex, and make our neutrons fire off with each test we're given. Overall, it's a great school.(as vague as that may sound)

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

444 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

394 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

417 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

614 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

393 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

427 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

427 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

• DR. LUCIA M COX
Fax number
  • (305) 385-6458

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options