Miami, FL
Students enrolled: 2,308

South Miami Senior High School 1

Posted July 27, 2014
Ever since Bonce got there he made the place a prison. It is no longer a school, I dropped out in 2008 because I hated every minute of it. Specially the administration, faculty and staff. They are all very disrespectful to the students. I have been able to graduate college and I am currently working on a masters, no thanks to this horrible school and its pedantic administrators. Only way I see to fix this school is to do a complete overhaul and hire new staff, administrators and educators. And for the love of god will the get a decent architect/ engineer/contractor in there to put some windows in the main building.

Posted April 27, 2014
I think South Miami High has offered a better education than my previous private school. Like any school, there are great teachers, good teachers, and those that you wish you did not have to deal with. Overall, I have to say that this is a good school to attend.

Posted December 26, 2013
I graduated a couple years back and really it's a great school. It made a MAJOR improvement from my freshman to junior year. I'm pretty sure it was able to go from a D school to a B school in one year. While there are some teachers who probably shouldnt be there (lack of competence, to be honest, and its a shame) there are several who are truly good at what they are doing. They care about the students and want to teach. They offer plenty of AP courses as well! I only wish their Arts program was better. Its also important to note that in my time there I never experienced or witnessed any really bad bullying. South Miami is a good school that I'm sure will keep on getting better!

South Miami Senior High School 1

Posted November 06, 2013
Going to South Miami Senior High School is depressing. The unpleasant aesthetics of the school (one of the buildings literally has no windows and is completely concrete), the prison like administration (with constant uniform sweeps, tardy tank that sends you to SCSI where one gets sentenced to a day of absolute silence in a tiny room with a barking babysitter, and of course the wonderful security gaurds that are constantly questioning you if you are spotted in the halls), and of course the education which is undoubtedly unsatisfactory. The regular course teachers are only there to prepare their students for the FCAT, so one has to take full AP courses to receive a decent education; there are a very limited selection of APs at that. The math department can be said to have only one good teacher, there are very few academies (the IT academy is deplorable, only very highly motivated students can succeed, as there is no real effort to do any sort of work), and there are even fewer elective choices for educational enrichment. I would not recommend South Miami Senior High School to anyone, even those who want to participate in a magnet program.

South Miami Senior High School 5

Posted July 30, 2010
This is an excellent school and excellent teachers with a very good programs go cobras!!!!

Posted November 19, 2008
This is an excellent school with a good track record. Go Cobras!!!

Posted September 23, 2008
My son who now is 23 and graduated from SMSH is about to get his Bachelors Degree from Computer Science at FIU and I have a 15 year old girl that attends to SMSH and she is in 10th grade, the Principal Mr. Bonce has improved the quality of teaching and best of all School Uniformed implemented and is showing the difference in the students thank you Mr. Bonce for your perseverance in making this school a better place to study and allowed the student to make better grades. Also the students will be our future so is very important what they learn in High School.

Posted August 26, 2008
I think that SMHS is a good School, i have been a personal experiencie with my daughter which is in Magnet Dance Program.The teachers are great! The only complaint i have is in reference to the personal Office, they always answer the phone in a bad manner and never help parents to resolve a problem. All the time they seem unhappy and with bad mud., it doesn't matter the time of the day. The morning is worst!!!

South Miami Senior High School 3

Posted January 14, 2008
I was a student at South Miami and graduated in '06. I was in the gifted, magnet music programs, and took several AP classes. In those three categories, the teachers were excellent, knowledgeable people who took a sincere interest in their students' progress. However, I also took a handful of regular requirement classes with very uninspired teachers. The CAP counselor in particular was terribly uninformed about any issues I had with the college admissions process.

Posted December 01, 2007
I have a son in S.M.Sr.H.S and he is in the 12th final year and I wished that the conselor were more involve in helping the students for preparation of the SAT test to start qualifying for their college of their choice. I have tried to meet and talk about what could be my involvement to help my son. My son says they every time he goes to see his conselor he gets turned back to his class saying that she/he is busy.

6856 Southwest 53rd Street, Miami, FL  33155
Last modified South Miami Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Miami Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top