Jack David Gordon Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1102 students

Posted June 16, 2014

Jack D Gordon is an excellent school. The school administrators are excellent and they handle the parents concerns very well and they care a lot about their students. The teachers are great and like any other school your child might have an excellent teacher that informs you about your child progress and there are other teachers that I am not sure why they are even teaching. I would recommend this school and if you are not sure if this will be the right school for your child ask to see if they offer a tour of the school so you can have an idea and the different program the school offers.

Posted December 19, 2013

My children are in Kindergarten this year. I really love this school . The teacher Ms. Rifkin is an excellent teacher and the overall organization of this school is amazing. My kids are an out of area transfer and I always knew this was the school I wanted them to go to and I'm very happy with my choice.

Posted February 26, 2012

The new principal Mr Lopez is excellent. The teachers have excellent communication and really care about my kids. I still have one in 4th grade, but my eldest who graduated 2 years ago was very well prepared for the challenge of the Middle School gifted magnet program he is in now.

Posted April 27, 2011

My grandchildren attend this school pre-K and 1st grade. I must say that the teachers are wonderful, especially Ms. Glassmer, Kinder and Ms. Cruz, 1st grade They take pride in their children achieving to their full capacity. In general the environment is friendly and welcoming and everyone from the person in charge of the office to the lady that prepares the food all make the children want to be in school and to learn!

Posted February 15, 2011

I've had my child at JDG for 2 years now & haven't had any complaints. However, I think that when you have a problem is when you will find out whether they are professional & attentive or not. The school is secure, clean, organized and the teachers, for the most part, seem well qualified. I look forward to keeping my child at JDG for the rest of elementary years.

Posted November 3, 2010

Jack D. Gordon Elementary has high expectations of it's faculty and staff, students, parents and community.

Posted September 14, 2010

I belieive Ms. Alperin was removed because of the problem she had with the Union Teachers not the School System itself. The Union is there on behalf of the Teachers to speak out for them when needed. Unfortunately she did not get the chance to "correct" the situation before it got to that level. As far as the parents, I agree not enough parent involvement in the school. However the parent's lack of involvement should not adhere to the Principal's attitude or her personal vengeance with co-workers.

Posted August 12, 2010

I think this is an excellent school my daughter has gotten outstanding results I do feel there should be more activities for after school programs, about the ex- Principal, if people feel discriminated because the Principal enforces the rules that everyone must follow then I disagree on letting her go, but I do not agree on anyone screaming at kids. I'm Hispanic and I expect all parents and students to follow the rules we cannot change what has gotten great results this is an A+ school.

Posted August 11, 2010

Our principal was an excellent principal and an even greater human being. She bent over backwards for her school and the children. She's gone because she was a victim of bureaucracy and a school system that is too big and ineffective. Unfortunate.

Posted August 8, 2010

I am sorry that Ms. Alperin left. I was there for years, and saw no discrimination towards any particular population. What she didn't like was the fact that a lot of people felt entitled and thought they could get away with rule-breaking. I was a member of the PTA and am part-hispanic and NEVER felt any discrimination at ALL. She was very polite and always listened well. OUR PTA was ALL hispanic, but we were a respectful bunch and didn't think the rules should BEND our way. THAT was the major problem. Very unprofessional parents who thought they should be free of all rules, and children who didn't know their limits and boundaries.

Posted April 20, 2010

My grandson started Kindergarden in this school and by December he had learned so much! Ms. Glasmer is excellent. She uses positive to correct, and makes learning fun.

Posted March 19, 2010

I am a full time single father with two kids. Jack D. Gordon has been a family to us. Ms. Alperin, Ms. Guerra and Ms. Hernandez are the most compassionate, genuine, classy, and professional adminstrators. They have dealt with my boys at the hardest of times. They care enough to make personal phone calls when my kids are sad, falling behind or having a bad day because of the tough times we are going through. The teachers are wonderful and work hard to educate my children to their fullest potential. I am so proud to have my children in the best school in Miami Dade. Thank you for being more than just teachers and administrators to my family.....

Posted January 28, 2010

I love this school. My daughter is in fifth grade and my son is in 2nd. The teachers and staff are wonderful and very caring. My daughter's teacher Mrs. Gavulic is a fantastic teacher and really cares about her students, Ms. Torra is an excellent teacher as well. I just wish there was extracurricular activities.

Posted June 28, 2009

This school has the #1 ingredient to make it one of the best school in our area, that is wonderful caring teachers that like to motivate kids to do their best.

Posted July 23, 2008

Wow our school has changed!!! We have lost so many students to Norma Butler Bossard (due to boundary changes) that we lost Teachers! Due to the lack of student activities - the moral of Parents, Students and Teachers is low. We would like to see some of the activities offered in Norma Butler Bossard in our school. There is no or limited parent involvement because the Principal seems to want it that way. No special events for all students for Holidays etc. Even the ART fair DID NOT display art projects from all students (there are plenty of walls) - all students should have displayed at least ONE item. All in all the teachers are awesome they teach well unfortunately (all the time). There is no extra curricular activites, clubs or programs. The Principals lack of Enthusiasm is felt by everyone (you can tell she is ready to retire).

Posted August 29, 2007

Hi All....I am new to this school and so far my daughter loves it! her teacher Ms. Barron (1st grade) 'is the best' according to my daughter. She is doing very well and I hope in this school she can continue to flourish. Good luck to all in this new school year. A concerned parent

Posted August 20, 2007

JDG has a great aademic program in which my son truly exceled in the 2nd and 3rd grades. Mrs. Bracken his teacher was excellent. However, once in the 4th grade the classroom size becomes significantly larger. His grades fell slightly because of the large number of students in his classroom and the behavioral issues of many of the students in his class. Thank you Mrs. Corugedo for working with Marcus in writing. Afterschool activites could be better. Activites are often canceled or eliminated altogether. Music program is very selective, my child was not able to participate in the instrument program. Huge lack of parent involvement. Security is terrible, needs much improvement. Parking is a nightmare plan to get there early.

Posted October 3, 2006

great school so far. moving from a different state to here was difficult on my child, but the staff made the transition very easy.

Posted May 7, 2006

Good school. Great gifted and TEAM programs. Teachers are wonderful. Parents are not involved. They think that everything will be done by 'someone'--but rarely ever venture forth and offer themselves. They are only interested in volunteering for their classrooms.

Posted April 25, 2006

It is a good school with wonderful teachers. Most of the kids are quite well behaved. The only problem I see are the lack of parent involvement. I feel that sometimes they think that everything will get done with or without their help.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

184 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

184 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

188 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

188 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

186 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

191 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MR. CALEB LOPEZ
Fax number
  • (305) 234-4815

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now