Posted June 26, 2014
I am on my third child and going on my 9th year as a parent at Hammocks Middle School. I found the new principal who came two years ago a breath of fresh air. Ms. Leal genuinely loves working with students and it shows in everything she does. The whole school is very welcoming and there is always something interesting going on. Our youngest is in the pre-law program and he loves the field trips and guest speakers they have every month. I would highly recommend this school to any family looking for a great place for their children.

Posted September 09, 2013
This school was great when Mr.Cabrera used to be the principal, The new principal is a disaster, she does not leave the office, and she seem that has no intention to improve the pre laws program, we need a person with positive energy and enthusiasm to manage a middle school located in a good neighborhood.

Hammocks Middle School 3

Posted September 05, 2013
While I place little stock in this year's grade ratings for schools due to issues with the grading scheme, I agree with one of the recent posters that this school's quality has clearly dropped in the last year. This year a large number of excellent teachers have left, including Ms. Velazquez, who in my opinion was in recent years the single greatest contributor to the strength of the pre-law magnet program. My research and conversations with a number of remaining teachers and students leads me to believe that the principal transferred here from Southwood Middle is a big part of the cause. I see the mass exodus of several excellent teachers, the issues with iPrep math this year, recent decisions regarding dress rehearsals for the traditional dance shows, and the overall drop in quality of the pre-law magnet program, and I fear that our new principal has wasted no time in applying the same kind of leadership that got her and the school district in hot water starting in 2008. Despite the fact many fine teachers have remained, and Dr. Sanchez is a fine addition to our school, I can't help but feel a little bait-and-switched into bringing my kids to this school.

Posted September 04, 2013
Hey everyone, I think Hammocks Middle School is great. Although they need to work on the pre-law magnet. Mr. Cabrera was the pricipal there and he is the one who kept it ship shape. Now its a "C" school and i don't know whats happened. I will give it to Ms. Ryan,Ms.Eubanks, Ms.Botana,Mr. K. Cabrera for being great teachers who have been inspiring and wonderful. I woul like to Mention Ms. Suarez and Ms. Velasquez for their hard work and absolute greatness and i am sad to say that they have left. 13 teachers have left, field trips have been limited and terminated, diliquents are still on school grounds, and the administration needs to fix all of this. - Student

Hammocks Middle School 3

Posted August 23, 2013
This school has got worse over the last year. Some of their best teachers fled the school, I don't blame them. The students' schedule during the first month of school is all messed. Some students don't get into P.E. even though it's mandatory by Florida State law. This school has some serious issues to work out before they can become an "A" school again.

Posted April 23, 2013
The thing about Hammocks is that, there is someone for everyone. You will always have a friend or a teacher, nobody is left behind. Im a student there and let me just say the teachers are great. Im in 7th grade now and I had a specific teacher last year, her name was Mrs. Velazquez and she helped everyone. Had problems at home or a fight with one of your friends? You confide in her. She is a great teacher. Also, the HALS magnet program is pretty top notch. Only thing that upsets me is that next year there wont be science in the magnet which is pretty dumb to me. Also, Mrs. Leichner is also a great teacher, Such a shame she's retiring this year. That's my review on Hammocks. It's a great school. If you want to send your kid here, i recommend you do.

Posted September 27, 2012
Hammocks is a great school overall....We've been there now 3yrs (8th now) and so far no complaints. Except for the Accellerated Reading program...for what ever reason they lose funding is my guess for why for a good portion of last yr. they didn't have it to offer to the kids. This AR prog. is a great way for kids to boost their reading/comprehension levels in prep for FCAT. Otherwise leadership/teachers are great ( Mr. Cabrera, principal-is no longer there 2012 school yr.) New principal - Debra Leal (too new to comment) overall they're all nice, patient, they respond to emails etc. I think thats key when you want to get answers and understand your childs academic progress or challenges.

Posted September 20, 2011
Excellent School! My son loves the HALS program. he is gifted, the only teacher that doesn't belong there is Mrs. Shullman.

Hammocks Middle School 0

Posted May 19, 2010
It has so many educational programs and sports and as been a a school.

Hammocks Middle School 0

Posted April 14, 2010
It a very friendly environment, the principal is very outgoing and always working to improve the school. The staff at the office are helpful.

Hammocks Middle School
9889 Hammocks Boulevard, Miami, FL  33196
Last modified Hammocks Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hammocks Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top