Jane S. Roberts K-8 Center

Public | PK-8 | 900 students

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

I'm so happy with the teacher, but the drop off and pick up situation is HORRIBLE! They do not allow you to park anywhere! They're large parking lot is off limits unless you have a handicap parking permit.

Posted February 19, 2014

I would give this school zero stars if possible. It USED to be a decent school about 20 years ago. My son went to this school for one year (2012-2013) and it was HORRIBLE. I wanted to get him out after 3 months of him attending JSR. Unfortunately, it was not so easy to do so we had to bear an entire academic year here. The only thing nice to say about this school is that Ms. Johnson (the security guard) is nice. The principle is never around, the specialists need to update their training, the office staff is rude, the teachers are horrible and unprofessional, the AP is rude. The teachers don't communicate and are not committed to the students. They also have an old way of teaching that is tailored to robots not children- the teachers do not know that there are different and effective ways of teaching and that every child learns differently. There is no feeling of belonging or community at JSR. I regret having my son attend JSR. He is now at an excellent school and thriving. I am glad I was able to see what a bad school like JSR looks/feels like because now I truly appreciate his current school. In all honesty, from one parent to another- DO NOT ENROLL YOU CHILD AT JSR.

Posted February 18, 2014

My daughter has had one ok teacher and one great teacher. My oldest kids went to this school about 10 years ago and the teachers were also bad. The drop off and pick up situation is HORRIBLE! They do not allow you to park anywhere! They're large parking lot is off limits unless you have a handicap parking permit. They have 6 parent parking spots in the front and the other 6 are reserved for staff. Thats 6 spots for schools parents!!! The security guard & P.E teacher are rude to parents as they drop off their kids. All lot of parents have complained to the school & school board and nothing gets done.The principle tells you to wait till the security guard is gone from the large parking lot to park in there! So who sets the rules in this school? I witnessed a male custodian yelling at a boy that was holding a side door for his mother that had ran to her car!The principle is not involved. All she does is walk around in her promiscuous outfits. Even 1st and 2nd grade teachers dress like this! Aren't teachers supposed to dress in a conservative manner?The office staff sees you standing there and ignore you. I thought I would be able to handle this school for another year. I was wrong!

Posted November 18, 2013

Not happy with the school. Very disorganized. I can't wait for the school year to finish to change my son to another school. my advise look for another school around the area.

Posted November 10, 2013

This is literally the best school in the entire world. Every one is so nice ! The teacher interacte with the student . I am a student from JSR and unfortunately I have to leave the school . I love this school so much it's not even funny

Posted October 24, 2013

Jane S. Roberts is a great school. My twin boys love their teachers and learn so much everyday. They are in Middle schhol, eighth grade, and will be graduating to high school next year. They are honor students, very polite and extremely smart. Thanks to everyone at Jane S Roberts, including Ms Alvarez and the Vice Principal, my twin boys are prepared for their future. I am so glad they went to this school rather than private. I rate this school as being over and beyond excellent.

Posted October 10, 2013

Teachers do not communicate. They also take a very long time posting grades. In addition, the teachers do not categorize their grade book. Therefore, their classwork and test weigh the same. Principals have access to monitor teacher's grade book, however, it is evident The principal in this school doesn't. The teachers even talk bad about the principal and comment how poorly involved she is.. I can see why many people are looking for other options such as charter schools. In a charter school the teachers are observed constantly by their principal. While in this school my daughter tells me the principal only walks in their classroom once a year, if their lucky. (To be continued)

Posted October 9, 2013

Continued This school has gone down hill and I believe they will continue to do so. Unless the principal can get more control of their teachers. It is evident in this school that it is hard to fire a teacher for their low performance. However, in other schools like private and charter have their teachers are on a yearly contract. That's why their scores are better. Here the teachers are protected by the union just waiting for their retirement. If you can put your child in another school I will suggest it. The majority of the teachers have been there since the school opened 20+ years ago and are tired with no new ideas or authentic assignments. The coach screams and just assigns crossword puzzles for a grade and last year their field day consisted of the PE coach hosing them down with a hose. Plus other schools do nice events were parents can be involved such as Mother's Day, Spanish heritage, end of the year parties etc.,. and even a parent orientation at the beginning of the year. However, if you put your child here you won't experience any of those events. The teachers in this school would not put any extra effort and I blame the principal for not holding them accountable.

Posted September 14, 2013

This school did not work out for us. Unless you are physically there at all times and you do not work this school is not a good choice. there is such a lack of communication between the office teachers and parents. The teachers are all about how they look and not there to teach. They are definitely not committed to the students. We withdrew our child and enrolled her in another school 10 miles away from our home. Also coach Hall is always screaming at the kids. We're is Mr Carbalo when you need him.

Posted August 22, 2013

My experience has been good at JSR K-8. My middle schooler has gotten encouraged to pursue advanced classes and her efforts have always been acknowledged and rewarded. My other child had an excellent 3rd grade teacher last year. She is such a caring person and a good teacher. My kids did very well in the FCAT. The small environment, compared to other schools in the area, is definitely a plus.

Posted August 1, 2013

I am an alumni of J.S.R. now. I attended since my family immigrated to the US when I was five, and spent all of Kindergarden through the 8th grade. I am currently a sophomore at Stanford University in California and plan on graduating with a degree in physics. I have the most vivid memories of wonderful times at J.S.R. My teachers truly cared about me. The school is small, and thus each student gets the attention they need. My teachers instilled in me a passion for learning that will never leave me, and for that I am eternally grateful. Some of them I am still friends with. I can't speak for anyone who has had a less-than enjoyable experience with any of the office staff, but my mom always had help when she needed it. The teachers are amazing, and actually teach. Thank you J.S.R. for helping me get to where I am.

Posted December 23, 2012

Was in 5th grade last year. So happy i went to Lamar Louise Curry Middle instead of JSR. Ms. Dacquino is horrible. If your child gets her i recommend getting her a class change!

Posted February 8, 2012

I think this school is fair ,teachers are ok.I have noticed that the students and teachers are arrogant ,stuck up, snotty,and rude. Iam not sure if its the location,bounderies,that most parents work or is a status issue,maybe is that the parents are too busy working to give their kids everything that they forget to teach their kids manners, to be polite and respect others. Mrs Quintero is a great assistant Principal,she seems to cares about the school and the students.I do think that they should have a manners class for parents,teachers and students.In the morning when i am walking in ,in the PE court, the halls, as i drop off my kids, i have said good morning ,hello ,good bye to parents,teachers and students and have no respond.People have no manners in this school.They have clics and bulling is common in this school because of the clics.My daughter wants to go back to her old school,she is not happy here.I would if i could, i dont want my kids growing up around this kind of people.I guess is true what they say 'the more money you have, the less values you possess'.

Posted January 6, 2012

I am extremely happy with this school. My son is in 8th grade and he loves his school. We have been getting great services from Jane S. Roberts ever since he was admitted there. Principal ,vice-principal, teachers and counselors together created a great educational atmosphere where they all belonged to a family .Vice Principal Ms. Natali is always around making sure that kids are attending the classes . She also makes sure that no outsider stays in the school , without a valid reason. Whenever we approached her for help , she took immediate action and tried to accomodate all our needs. She is always caring and always stops to listen to the students. I am so happy that my son is in good hands and at the same time feel bad that he has to leave the school next year !!

Posted June 20, 2011

I am now an alumni of Jane S. Roberts K-8 Center. I am currently a Senior in high school. I attended J.S.R since Kindergarten through 8th grade. To this day, I am forever grateful for having the opportunity to attend this school. My teachers were helpful at all times, and always there when I need them most. They wanted to instill a passion for learning and that is exactly what I received from them. I enjoyed all my classes. Yes, the school is limited in electives, but what you learn inside of class, and the memories created are worth more. I have not gone back to visit since 2008, but my J.S.R. still has a special place in my heart. The staff, and faculty were kind and sweet to all. I cannot thank J.S.R. enough for steering me in the right direction. It is definitely an "A" school in my book. All schools have flaws, J.S.R. isn't perfect, but it's strong values in education make it stand out.

Posted March 2, 2011

The quality of the teachers and the education has deteriorated since a few years back. Teachers have very bad attitudes and this os why the school has lost may students to new schools around.

Posted October 24, 2010

My son is getting a quality education and enjoying his elementary years.

Posted July 22, 2010

This school is not that great of a school. The teachers are okay teachers, they teach but not the sufficient. My Child is not an ESE student, she needed a promotion and the school denied to help my child advance and be placed in a better grade. I as a parent consider this a C school.

Posted February 15, 2010

Dude, this school is awesome! I'm currently in eighth grade and have been attending since kindergarten. The teachers are amazing, as are the principals and assistant principals that we've had. It's not the best middle school, but it kicks butt for a k-8 school. Go jaguars!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 21, 2009

My two daughter has been in this school since kinder. Most teachers are excelent educators, and alway challenge the students to do better every day. I am very happy with what my daughters have learned so far in important courses such as Math,science, and Language arts.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 79% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

102 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

114 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Asian 2% 3%

Other degree 2%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

14850 Cottonwood Cir