Miami, FL
Students enrolled: 3,229

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted May 26, 2015
Depends who your teachers are. Some just sit behind a desk grading papers and texting.

Coral Reef Senior High School 5

Posted May 21, 2015
The school is on block scheduling ( two hour class every other school day) for six classes. At least one of which is your academy class, Coral Reef offers six, one of the most famous is (IB) International Baccalaureate. There are hundreds of clubs, over a thousand teachers and staff, and about 3,200 students. The school pays for most college board tests, like PSAT and AP exams. Enough lockers for the textbooks, and the transition to tablets; one lunch of 45 minutes for club meetings, making friends, studying, and especially eating lunch practically anywhere in the school. The teachers prepare the students for end of the year testing and life lessons needed for college. 10 minutes are allotted from class to class, giving time to communicate to the teachers. Coral Reef teachers spend practically most of their waking hours at school, in teaching, grading, and answering questions the students may have, even providing many ways of contact outside of school for help on homework, or reminders of when future assignments are due. The school is filled with school spirit and many other opportunities for students to pick up a lasting highschool experience. "Don't hide that 'Cuda Pride."

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 21, 2015
Each teacher knows the amount of work other teachers in the same subject give, and the homework is based on previous lessons, all assignments are giving a minimum of two days to complete. Teachers are now posting homework assignments on google classroom and class jump, for easier remembering. It is so little that you don't need an agenda to write it in, but enough to reinforce the information for the end of the year tests.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 21, 2015
Each academy has small competitions against the others in community service, and grades, with the counselors pushing us towards good grades in a non-stressful way.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 21, 2015
It's in our mission statement; the school was built for the students, and the current facility and staff strive for that goal, even if it means seeing their families less after school or on weekends for tutoring sessions.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 21, 2015
We have an honor code, mandatory for all students to sign when entering. Students are honest with teachers, and the teachers always treat students equally.

Coral Reef Senior High School 3

Posted March 08, 2015
I am a student at Coral Reef, I am a fresh man and the school is not so bad but not what I expected it to be. It is berry stressful that is true, but the teachers and your counselor are always there for you no matter what. I can't coplain that much there fun but there's to much work. I made a lot of friends thanks to their program Ready for Reef but anyways is not the school I hoped it would be.

Coral Reef Senior High School 1

Posted January 10, 2015
Not what it is made out to be. We are very disappointed, my child came from a very small school that even the principal knew her name. There is no family atmosphere, they don't care who she is or what she can contribute. I called to talk to one of her teachers (it's the end of the 2 nine weeks) he didn't even know who my daughter was yet. We will be looking for a new school next year. Additionally, my daughter hates all of the cliques.

Coral Reef Senior High School 2

Posted October 21, 2014
My children came here for the vpa academy. They were really excited at first but when the school year started they hated it. Coral reef is a very clicky school and my children didn't make any real friends their first year. Not only that but the teachers were not interactive. I thought I was making a mistake(because coral reef I supposed to be amazing),when I took them out and send one to a private and other to public. Now they both go to amazing colleges with out the need for coral reef on their record. Over all coral reef might be a good school but not for all people. Its way too clicky and I believe the teachers and staff only care about keeping the schools place and name. I wouldn't recommend parents to send your child there only if you really have to.

Coral Reef Senior High School 5

Posted September 16, 2013
The school is great the students are nice and the teachers really care about you.

10101 Southwest 152nd Street, Miami, FL  33157
(305) 232-2044
Last modified Coral Reef Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coral Reef Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 133 reviews. Top