1,211 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I am currently an eighth grader at Ammons graduating this year and I can honestly say that it is a great school and if you get a chance to go to this school you should. Sometimes the office staff can be a little difficult but the way to fix that is by being polite and sweet to them and they treat you back the same. The one big downside of Ammons is the way that it is built outside in portables. You would think that with such an amazing reputation that they would have a nice building. It's not an empty complaint I think it makes rainy day dismal very slow and the students are impatient. Other than that maybe the only other thing I don't enjoy is the lunches but it's like any other public school lunch. The counselors here are very helpful and I recommend going to them if you have any issues. The teachers well prepare you for test and I think that this is an excellent school.

Maybe the school is rated with 5 starts by the kids or the parents for those kids that do not work and can stay the entire day in the school, those parents can select the better teachers for their kids or even their kids got selected for sports etc. even without being the best ones in the “particular” sport... I have seen that in that school. However, for the rest of the kids that get assigned the worst teachers, and in top of that parents cannot complaint because there is not help from the school staff. The school is a complete joke. There are teachers there that are destroying the knowledge of the kids completely... I can be here writing the entire day about the school. Certainly there are worst schools in the system than this one, but this is not the point.... This school is rated higher that what actually is.

The women in the office are atrocious. Beware of the attendance lady, she'll give you attitude and ridicule you for being "sick" and invalidate anything you say. She'll embarrass you in front of the office administration. Some teachers are amazing, others are far from it. Many teachers mock the students.

I love the school. They're strict, friendly and my grandsons have received a great education there!

I have always thought very highly of this school. I have always recommended it to anyone who will lend an ear, and I still will, except for one teacher/subject. Stay away from Drama class unless you are a parent or have a parent who will constantly kiss up to the teacher. My child has been in this program for three years, and this year was bullied by the teacher and by the teacher's crew of preferred students to the point where was pretty much forced to drop out of the yearly show. Speaking of the show, one would think that this teacher would have considered giving the graduating class a fond memory of the program after they have invested countless hours within the three years they participated in it, but that seems to not be a concern or even a thought for this teacher. Most graduating students were left out of the show, where most were given very little participation on or off stage. However, if you happened to be one of her preferred students, then you would somehow (regardless of talent) get a part in it. Very disappointed with the lack of professionalism and ethical behavior of this teacher.

I'm currently a student in the 8th grade at Ammons, and I can honestly tell you that it is a great school. Most of the teachers there really care about you, and how to prepare you best for high school. While there are some teachers that seem to give you too much work, they have your best interests in mind, and while it might seem tedious at the time, I promise you that it is worth it. It not only prepares you for the rigorous magnet programs in high school, but also helps you mature as a person. Before coming to this school, I often procrastinated and neglected my responsibilities, but after a year here, I soon realized that I had to be more mature with how I handled y responsibilities. Not to mention, Ms.Perlman is a great counselor, and she's bound to help your kids with any problems they might experience here. The workload here can sometimes be intense, especially if you're taking Biology/Geometry but it's all to prepare you for the dreaded EOCs. The teachers here really do know what they're doing, and while I thought my workload for Algebra & Civics was too much at the time, I realized after taking the EOC that they didn't give us anything we didn't need. Go eagles! :)

Ammons was recommended to us by several people and our daughter is currently in 8th grade. We have not been disapponted in the least. The work load is very reasonable. Students at Ammons know what the expectations are. They work hard but they have sports And many activities to recognize And praise their efforts. Ms. Costa is the best principal we have ever come across. The teachers are fantastic and work great together. The only negative side we find is the actual infrastructure of the school. They deserve an actual building instead of a bunch of portables.

the school is horrible. the work load is way to much. i spent countless hours a day doing homework and studying. i have no social life because of this school.

My daughter who is now a Sophmore graduated from Ammons and I can say that it was a wonderful school. Teachers are really committed and dedicate their time to make sure the kids are on point and ready for whichever high school they decide to attend. I would say having my daughter attend this school was a great decision and would recommend this school to anyone who is seeking for a higher level of education for their son or daughter.

I am a former student at Ammons. The 3 years that I attended there was truely an amazing experience. The education and dedication that the teachers and administration offered helped the students like me to strive and helped prepare us for high school. The curriculum can be challenging at times but the teachers there are more than willing to help you along the way to reach your goal. There are feild trips, clubs, teams, and many rewards for the students allowing them to have an incentive to keep on thriving in their work. Ammons is a wonderful and great school for any child to attend. It is like a huge family who help each other. There is no bullying, prejudice or fights. It is a safe and well coordinated academic environment that anyone from student to parent to community would fall in love with. I strongly recommend any student to attend this school. GO EAGLES!!!!

Last modified Herbert A. Ammons Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.