Miami, FL
Students enrolled: 1,216

Posted August 30, 2015
I love the school. They're strict, friendly and my grandsons have received a great education there!

Posted March 17, 2015
I have always thought very highly of this school. I have always recommended it to anyone who will lend an ear, and I still will, except for one teacher/subject. Stay away from Drama class unless you are a parent or have a parent who will constantly kiss up to the teacher. My child has been in this program for three years, and this year was bullied by the teacher and by the teacher's crew of preferred students to the point where was pretty much forced to drop out of the yearly show. Speaking of the show, one would think that this teacher would have considered giving the graduating class a fond memory of the program after they have invested countless hours within the three years they participated in it, but that seems to not be a concern or even a thought for this teacher. Most graduating students were left out of the show, where most were given very little participation on or off stage. However, if you happened to be one of her preferred students, then you would somehow (regardless of talent) get a part in it. Very disappointed with the lack of professionalism and ethical behavior of this teacher.

Posted September 07, 2014
I'm currently a student in the 8th grade at Ammons, and I can honestly tell you that it is a great school. Most of the teachers there really care about you, and how to prepare you best for high school. While there are some teachers that seem to give you too much work, they have your best interests in mind, and while it might seem tedious at the time, I promise you that it is worth it. It not only prepares you for the rigorous magnet programs in high school, but also helps you mature as a person. Before coming to this school, I often procrastinated and neglected my responsibilities, but after a year here, I soon realized that I had to be more mature with how I handled y responsibilities. Not to mention, Ms.Perlman is a great counselor, and she's bound to help your kids with any problems they might experience here. The workload here can sometimes be intense, especially if you're taking Biology/Geometry but it's all to prepare you for the dreaded EOCs. The teachers here really do know what they're doing, and while I thought my workload for Algebra & Civics was too much at the time, I realized after taking the EOC that they didn't give us anything we didn't need. Go eagles! :)

Posted August 24, 2014
Ammons was recommended to us by several people and our daughter is currently in 8th grade. We have not been disapponted in the least. The work load is very reasonable. Students at Ammons know what the expectations are. They work hard but they have sports And many activities to recognize And praise their efforts. Ms. Costa is the best principal we have ever come across. The teachers are fantastic and work great together. The only negative side we find is the actual infrastructure of the school. They deserve an actual building instead of a bunch of portables.

Herbert A. Ammons Middle School 1

Posted March 17, 2014
the school is horrible. the work load is way to much. i spent countless hours a day doing homework and studying. i have no social life because of this school.

Posted August 24, 2013
My daughter who is now a Sophmore graduated from Ammons and I can say that it was a wonderful school. Teachers are really committed and dedicate their time to make sure the kids are on point and ready for whichever high school they decide to attend. I would say having my daughter attend this school was a great decision and would recommend this school to anyone who is seeking for a higher level of education for their son or daughter.

Posted April 17, 2013
I am a former student at Ammons. The 3 years that I attended there was truely an amazing experience. The education and dedication that the teachers and administration offered helped the students like me to strive and helped prepare us for high school. The curriculum can be challenging at times but the teachers there are more than willing to help you along the way to reach your goal. There are feild trips, clubs, teams, and many rewards for the students allowing them to have an incentive to keep on thriving in their work. Ammons is a wonderful and great school for any child to attend. It is like a huge family who help each other. There is no bullying, prejudice or fights. It is a safe and well coordinated academic environment that anyone from student to parent to community would fall in love with. I strongly recommend any student to attend this school. GO EAGLES!!!!

Posted March 18, 2013
It has been a great experience having my child attend this school. If you want your kids to go to what is in my humble opinion the best possible Middle School then, look no further. If your child is lucky enough to get into this school then make whatever sacrifice needed but get them here. Just be aware that as a parent you must be involved and be aware of all the requirements to graduate especially if you want the I.B. Certificate which I highly recommend your child strive for. Currently they have a great Principal and Program. The school is very safe as most children here are all serious students and trouble makers or children with poor grades are relegated to their home schools quickly. Going to Herbert A. Ammons Middle School is a privilege so act accordingly. Good Luck!

Posted January 19, 2013
I am a student at Ammons and I think this is a great school. Sometimes the teachers do give a little too much work, but it prepares you in class. The i.b really helps in the future when youre signing up for high schools. I really do like the school even though it is a trailer park. If you are thinking about enrolling your student in this school you should! The teachers are great and very nice. Your child would be happy to go here, trust me. Execpt for academics, the school has great clubs and teams. The track team and cross country team are absolutley amazing and its a great experience.

Posted December 20, 2012
I love the school. It works as a community where everybody cares about everybody else. Excellent class environment and the teachers are always available to help you out with any concernes you could have about your kids. The kids have to work very hard and they are always challenged.

Herbert A. Ammons Middle School
17990 Southwest 142nd Avenue, Miami, FL  33177
Last modified Herbert A. Ammons Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Herbert A. Ammons Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 84 reviews. Top