Grassy Lake Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 987 students

Posted April 17, 2014

Grassy Lake Staff and teachers work hard because they care. They push my child to be a better student. The office staff greets you with a smile, every staff member that works there is friendly whether they work in the cafeteria, janitor service, resources, etc. The teachers really do their best to provide a safe and fun environment for the students. The principal Ms. Cole keeps parents informed with automated calls to remind us of special events going on through out the year and reminders of days off, etc. I can't speak for every single teacher at this school, but those I have come in contact with because of my children have proven themselves 100 times over. My child was bullied by another student in kindergarten and I sent an email to the principal asking that my child not be put in any future classes with the bully and my child is now in 4th grade and my request has still been upheld without me having to send anymore emails.

Posted April 3, 2014

This school had the nastiest and rudest people in the office and the teachers are not very nice either . Maybe the office people ought to learn how to speak to people and how to treat them

Posted October 8, 2013

We love the school. The teachers and staff members are great. Are grandson has had three great teachers in three years.And now are granddaughter is going there too.

Posted May 30, 2010

Overall I think GLES is a great school . I personaly think that the school gives a lil to much responsibility, but with amazing resaults.

Posted March 29, 2010

My son attended Lost Lake Elementary for second grade and the first quarter of third grade. We then moved and he was enrolled at Grassy Lake. My son's new teacher was very supportive throughout his transition. He was expected to catch up on their classroom assignments in a short amount of time and did really well. As the school year is approaching the end, I have noted strong differences between LLES and GLES. My son has been afforded more challenges and opportunties. Homework is not mundane and repetitive. They have assigned more projects and a research paper. Online learning is a requirement not an option (such as the FCAT Explorer program and Raz Kids). After his experience at GLES, I feel like the curriculum at LLES was on 'auto pilot.' The teacher has been informative throughout her web site/emails. She has helped my son become a more responsible student.

Posted March 25, 2010

Agree with the lack of wanting to move children. I know they have their reasons children are in each class, but believe it or not the parents do know when there isn't a good fit for their child. Love99% of the teachers, but the principal needs to be 'jumping on any issues the parents feel strongly about!

Posted March 24, 2010

My Son has always been an A+ student, coming from Lost Lake and now Grassy Lake. This year, we discover he was absolutely incompatible with his new teacher and his grades went down dramatically. He begged to be moved to another class and so we requested the principal's office, over and over. However, our request was totally ignored. I am very disappointed at the way the issue was (or was not) handled by the principal's office. This year felt like torture to my son who, up to now, has always been excited to go to school.

Posted January 27, 2010

i love the school. they have great kids and teachers.cool manners 2.awesome learning also.my favorite teachers are mrs.rozar,mr.garcia,miss smith,and mr.stalnaker.thats all the comments for now.there is more.good bye

Posted May 6, 2009

This is an 'A' school in my books, the teachers take their time to educate the students, at first I taught it was too much for my fourth grader but then I saw the results; and I'm a very proud mom ;-) Thank you G.L.E.

Posted March 23, 2009

Grassy Lake has been my sons only school and I wouldn't want him to go anywhere else. The teachers are wonderful and he's learning so much. He made principals honor last year and looks like he's on his way to do the same this year. He love going there and loves all the teachers that he knows. Keep up the great work.

Posted December 6, 2008

Wow. It is so nice to see how much parents and students care about our school. Thank you for the great reviews and opinionated comments. This is our second year of being a part of the South Lake learning community, and we are still striving for excellence. I believe it is the great teamwork of parents, students, teachers, and staff that help make Grassy Lake Elementary such as great place to grow and learn. I know we will work harder to be more efficient teachers and staff. We truly believe in helping our students dream, believe, and achieve their goals. Shoot for the Stars!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 10, 2008

I have two sons that attend this school. The school itself, I think is great, as it's a very nice, bright and clean school. I have two issues and that is one, during the orientation, the Principal made a comment that both myself and my husband couldn't believe our ears. She said that when there are problems with children, she looks at the parents, and then she said 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree'. An odd thing I thought coming from someone in control of a school. The other issue is my son is being called 'student' constantly and not by his name by his teacher. I get notes in his agenda or seperate notes and his teacher seldom uses his name. I'm wondering if she knows it...

Posted September 29, 2008

Initially, being the parent of a kindergartener and not knowing anyone that goes there, I was your usual worried Mom. But after these first few weeks of school, I must say I'm really impressed. Being part of a school admin. in Orange County previously, I know a lot of what makes a school great. This school has the 'right stuff'! Everyone from top to bottom is warm,friendly and professional, even after those crazy first weeks..traffic problems..hurricane days..etc. They've done a great job and deserve to continue being an 'A' school!

Posted September 19, 2008

Grassy Lake is a wonderful school. Administration and Guidance Counselors are very supportive and very quick to respond to questions and concerns. I transferred my kids from an area private school. Grassy Lake curriculum is more challenging than what we experienced in private school and I am much more informed about their academic progress. We couldn't be happier thanks to Grassy Lakes highly qualified teachers and outstanding communication skills!

Posted September 18, 2008

Grassy lake is an awesome school. The teachers as well as the staff, are all kind and very professional.

Posted August 9, 2008

My son was transferred to Grassy Lake from another local school also due to overcrowding. I was not happy he was being transferred as we moved here from Orange County to go to that school. My son's teacher in Grassy Lake Mrs. Natal 1st grade was wonderful I can't say enough about her......She took my son under her wings and when she had to let him go he flew like never before.....He made Principals Honor Roll. I am so proud of his accomplishments this past year. I highly recommend this school. The staff is really caring and wonderful about the children and their education. We are so happy that our son attends Grassy Lake Elementary school for his education.......We are looking forward to a wonderful 2nd grade.

Posted July 5, 2008

My daughter was transferred to Grassy Lake from another local school due to overcrowding. We were leary at first, as her old school was really good. She had a wonderful teacher, Mrs. Carter - and it showed in her performance. Mrs. Arnold runs that school like the CEO of GE, and the kids are well-behaved and respectful. I would like to see more recognition in the higher grades for achievements such as straight 'A' students. It truly is noteworthy for kids in the 4th and 5th grade to achieve this. A certficate at the end of the grading period would do wonders.

Posted May 22, 2008

I absolutely love this school. My son's teacher is just amazing and the school staff has been awesome. This school it beautiful, kept very clean, and my son began this school mid-year and excelled like you can't imagine. He became confident and just hit the ground running and I truly believe this has everything to do with his teachers being such great encouragers. I highly recommend this school and I am taking my daughter out of the private school she is in and that he was in first half of the year and happily placing them in this public school. It's worlds better than what they had before. I'm thankful for Grassy Lake!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

170 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

192 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

191 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

192 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

176 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MRS. DOREATHE COLE
Fax number
  • (352) 242-1504

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now