292 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Music class started this year!!! I encourage all parent to take part of the school activities such as the meetings ask for more parents involvements ask as many questions you can say your concern. Make your voice heard. A parent

Just read the review that was posted on March 26, 2012 and I couldn't agree more. It is more than a year since that post was placed and nothing has changed. This school still doesn't offer any extra-curricula activities. It is so "MONEY DRIVEN" worse than a private school. You can be a minute early or late you will be charged $5 for morning care and $25 for late pick up or tardy. Everything is money spirit day-$1 to wear jeans which adds up, $3.50 for lunch and $2.50 for breakfast if you don't qualify for free or reduced lunch. The class sizes are huge there should be a ratio of 1:14, my child's kinder class ratio is 1:26 with no teacher's assistance (WOW). I can only speak for the Kinder teacher-she has a close door policy. There's so welcoming feeling for parents. The only good thing about this school is that is up the street from our house literally 5 minutes away. I'm pulling my child out next year and I'm willing to drive to another county over 30 minutes away. This was one of the worst decision I made putting my daughter in this charter school.

The school is amazing! The staff and parents are all involved and I could not disagree more with the previous review. They are welcoming and all grade levels experience in school as well as out of school field trips. My child, in fifth grade, went to Busch Gardens as the end of the year field trip. It was a great trip and all the students that had been together for three years got to enjoy the experience. The principal is a wonderfully caring individual and the emphasis is very much on the child. I am sorry that my child could not continue in the school as it only goes up to fifth grade.

I have two kids that had been here from when it 1st opened & my kids suffered because of it. The 2nd year it got a little bit better, but still the same thing, my kids where their trial&error. There is no sports activities, actual art classes, actual music classes, no nothing they are only FCAT driven w/ a big teacher turn-over, & some not all of the teachers who are there seem to be lost. They try to do parent involvement w/ having monthly honor roll & perfect attendance assemblies, but it is very disorganized & money driven (if they are an A school bcuz of FCAT scores then the more $$ they get). The office staff is friendly, but the principal in my opinion does not care! They don't watch the kids properly especially in after care (already had a major medical incident) & when I went to speak to the principal I was sent away. They didn't even have field trips for the older kids only for the ones who excelled in academics (passing the FCAT w/ a certain score or higher) on more then one occasion. Sad, that they don't even think how the other kids would feel. Ultimately, even though being right down the st. from me & giving it a 2 yr try I pulled both of my kids out from this school!

Last modified Somerset Academy East Preparatory is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.