Dolphin Bay Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 694 students

Posted March 29, 2014

My daughter is attending Dolphin Bay since Kindergarten now she is on 2nd grade. I can say that this is one of the best school in Broward county. The principal Ms Nelson is outstanding in her work. She is a very caring mother and wants the best for her students. Mr Schmidt the assistant principal is very nice with the kids and always want to play with them and always there when ever we are looking for his help. My niece has attended other schools in Broward county and none of them can compare to Dolphin Bay elementary school. Ms Sandra Nelson deserves an A+ for Dolphin bay as well as all other staff members.

Posted March 29, 2014

Great school! My two daughters are attending since 2010. We have no complaint. They love that school so much that my husband got a promotion at his job to move out of state, we decided to stay until my oldest daughter graduate from Dolphin Bay. My kids told me that the teachers are very nice and they do not have any complaint about the students. Excellent school in West Miramar!

Posted March 20, 2014

I will have to disagree with the other posts. My two daughters are attending Dolphin Bay since Kindergarten.I can say that this is the best school so far for them. My oldest one is in 2nd grade and love the school. The principal Ms Nelson is very caring and cares about her students. The assistant Principal is very funny as my kids told me. I've seen him talking to the boys especially when they are behaving bad at school. He is a good guy. The office staff is very nice and caring. I live a block away from the school and will live there just because of Dolphin Bay. No other schools in west Miramar can compare that Elementary school. They are the best. I want to give them an A+. Thanks to Ms Sandra Nelson and her staff.I love you guys!

Posted November 13, 2013

I used to love Dolphin Bay Elementary until.....the school got a new Assist Principle named, Mr. B. Schmidt. I picked my sons up from school when I noticed my youngest son was not himself. I asked him what was wrong and he told me a classmate pushed him and the back of his head hit a pole and he fell down on the ground. He said "Mom, you and daddy were broken little pieces." I took this as he loss consciousness. I called DBE and spoke with Mr. Schmidt, I asked where was the supervision and why wasn't I called, he said your son should have told the teacher. How could he tell the teacher in his predicament. I called his pediatrician and was told to take him to the ER. We spent over 5 hours in the ER, my son was diagnosed with a concussion. The next morning Mr. Schmidt told me he investigated the incident and mentioned something totally different. A week later he told me he submitted my claim and I should hear something, after another week goes by I asked him for the number to claims. I called claims soon after I left the school; I was told Mr.Schmidt had just called before I did; he never called previously. This definitely makes me question his honesty, in which I have an answer.

Posted August 15, 2013

Dolphin Bay would be a much better school if the administration were respectful to parents and teachers. There is a holy than thou attitude by its principal and vice principal. The atmosphere they breed is basically my way or the highway... Which makes it hard on involved caring parents who give of their time and resources to the school and the handful of truly dedicated teachers. It's a shame that our kids are being educated by this administration. The school PTA is not what it should be its mainly puppeteerd by the principal and her staff member of choice. It defeats the purpose of PTA which stands for Parent Teacher Association, it should be called the Sandra Nelson Association. Thru out my years at Dolphin Bay I had never seen such nastiness, I hope that with the schools dropping from A to B status our children are not put to blame for the schools inefficiency. Low test scores reflect a lot on teaching methods and teacher/staff abilities. I hope Broward County re-examen their choice in administration. It's time for a change, parents need to step up & voice opinions and not be afraid of retaliation. Empower yourself and SPEAK UP! It's your child at stake.

Posted August 14, 2013

Its always the same parents who help...and yet they are called a pone to help again and again...EVERYONE should be responsible to help with the school and their children s education.

Posted July 21, 2013

We love Dolphin Bay! Teachers are friendly and have high expectations. We are so lucky to have a school with such outstanding Specials. Ms. Protano does an amazing job with art projects, Coach is always getting kids moving, and Ms. White does a phenomenal job with putting together shows.

Posted January 15, 2012

Dolphin Bay is better that my elementary school, Silver Lakes. The reason why is because Dolphin Bay looks more modern, and a lot cleaner and nicer. They should renovate Silver Lakes is over 15 years old and needs to be renovated. It was built in the mid '90s. Silver Lakes is technologically behind other schools and looks outdated. It's suck in the '90s!

Posted August 23, 2011

I am still very happy and proud of this school, not only because it offers an excellent environment for children, but is also very led, focused on improving reading, writing and all aspects necessary for a good base for the guys in the future. I love the diversity of culture (ethnicity), because it gives children the opportunity not only knowledge but to respect them, without exclusion. I see that teachers and staff play an important role by inculcating respect, good manners in the students and are always mindful of the need for them. I believe that the classification of Dolphin Bay Elementary should be 10 and not 7.

Posted March 30, 2011

Dolphin Bay is one of the most exceptional schools in Broward County. The leadership, educators, and programming are wonderful. It seems that most of the parents whose children attend this school understand the relevance of a working parent-teacher relationship, which is evident in the number of parental volunteers. Get involved in the school and in your child's education. You will love DBE!

Posted March 8, 2011

My daughter went to this school in 2005 ,2006. i was very unhappy they discriminated kids wth disability the principle more loyal to her friendship with teachers instead the student best interest. dolphin bay is the wrost school for kids with special needs.

Posted June 15, 2010

I have 4 kids who have gone to DBE from the portable days. ESE parents pay attention to your kids and don't let them fall through the cracks. ESE program in this school is barely adequate. Education only adequate leading up to FCAT that is when they move heaven and earth. Cjeka and Nelson are ok but sometimes tend to cover for teachers. School Resource officer is great and the school is realtively safe. Teachers are adeqaute and not what the parents below describe. In the time I have been there only 3 teachers went above and beyone in my opinion. School Safety Patrol is a joke. Kids are selected by recomendation and patrol capt is almost always a relative of school personnel or PTA officer. Parent involvement only appiles to plays, field days and field trips Again ESE parents or if you have kid that is struggeling stay involved daily..

Posted May 22, 2010

My 2 daughters have attended DBE elem. for 3 years and they love. The school work is fun and challenging for them and most of the teachers and staff are wonderful. Mrs. Cejka, the principal, and Mrs. Nelson, vise principal, run the school very well and smoothly. My older daughter, next year is attending nova and her principal is transferring to the same school. Ia m very happy with this because I know and trust her and I know she will make a great principal. My daughter is now excited to go to nova because of her. If you are wondering on which school to put your child in, I highly recommend Dolphin Bay.

Posted August 4, 2009

We love this school. I have 3 kids that go here now. We transferred here from Michigan in Feb 08. The kids are challanged everyday and we love the emphasis on reading. The staff is very friendly and my kids love story time with the principal before classes start.

Posted April 9, 2009

I have been very lucky. My son has been in DBE for 2 yrs now and we have had great teachers. The facilities are definitely state of the art and the school is very clean. The one thing I would probably see needs a bit of improvement are the PTA activities is very sad to see the lack of participation from the families, I would suggest the PTA more marketing for their events.

Posted October 7, 2008

As for the parent talking about the 40 kids crammed in a classroom. The voters of Florida passed the classroom reduction act and that is why their are small classes it has nothing to do with administration

Posted May 8, 2008

In an age of where there are 40 kids cramped in a classroom with teachers that are just there to baby sit and not peak their students' interest in learning, both my son hit a home run when we came to Dolphin Bay. Not only is the teacher student ratio unbelievably low (we lived in kendall at an A school and my son's class had 38) students, it's principal, vice principal, teachers and staff are individuals that love their careers, are excited to teach not only education but family values as well. I feel safe and confident that my son is getting the best education and best social skills at Dolphin Bay Elementary. Congratulations to all on a job well done! It's a 10 without question.

Posted March 22, 2008

The staf of the school should be more strict with the uniform. I have seen 3rd, 4th and 5th graders with NO socks, it seems the principal Mrs Ceija don't care about the imporatance of having guidelines for the uniform and it should matter, the kids needs more discipline and order for the uniform.

Posted January 24, 2008

My son has attended this school for the past two years. The teachers have been OUTSTANDING. The principal and vice principal are extremely involved and caring. I watched the vice-principal call my first grade son _by name_ (how does she do that?) The school has just relocated to a brand new facility on Miramar Pkwy and has state-of-the-art everything.

Posted January 8, 2008

My child has attended Dolphin Bay for 2 years now. & I must agree the teacher are wonderful, patient, and very understanding. I love the fact the vice principal and pricipal and staff know my son by name. They are very involved with the kids.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

101 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

101 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

135 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

16450 Miramar Parkway