1,079 students|Collier

Bad
Good

For me as a parent, I felt 50/50 regarding the staff. The counselor was helpful to my new student, but it took us speaking up to get engagement. He had (from a parent's perspective) some nice teachers who seemed competent but he reported the teachers seemed to hate their job. One of his teachers was a horrible communicator other than pushing out assignments for the kids to do online. Others were good about communicating, and were good instructors. Ultimately, we chose to put our son in a private school due to safety after him witnessing fights ( 3 of about 10 throughout the year) and disrespectful students whose swearing went reportedly unaddressed by staff. I know the educators care, but seem to be stressed with large class sizes, state standards and a few disrespectful students who ruin it for the rest. There seem to be strict rules ( 3 min between class to cross a large campus, but kids also got in trouble for running to get there). The chain link fence makes it seem prison-like and there is a punitive feel at times to the school rules- over focused on easily enforced rules and underfocused on solving the bigger, tougher issues. Kids in a fight one day would be right back in class, while a good kid hustling to get to class gets publicly called out. A big difference from public school in the Midwest. His school there was rated at a 7, and is more like private schools are here. I would rate the school at a 5. This is not to put down staff- they really are nice in general, but there is a general feeling of stress in that environment. It was a bit disorganized in the enrollment process and scheduling for our transferring- in student. Our child is much happier at his new school.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Some teachers, like Ms. Duplaa, who teaches 7th grade language arts as of 2015, is one of the best teachers ever. Some teachers, however, are lacking and only do book work with the students.

My child has been bullied since 6th grade and the teachers/staff haven't done anythingto fix it. The food is 100% unsafe. My child had the stomach flu for 3 weeks from eating the school's food. I am sick if coming home to hear my daughter talking about how sad she is because of the students. Did I forget to mention the school is full of germs! Yes they have green mold full grown on the concrete, pieces of gum from far back and the sewers are completely dirty! DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE!

OMS is a great school. The music, art, business, and PE classes are wonderful. Almost all the teachers are friendly and engaging. I recommend this school to people considering going.

Oakridge Middle School is a great place to make friends and a safe learning environment.

Some staff can be unfriendly and there's not many teachers supervising the students in the hallways.

My oldest daughter enetered this school this past year and is in the advanced program which has still held some challenge for her. They could work on the social aspect of the school, like dances and things that the kids actually like to attend, but educationally it is a great school.

Oakridge Middle School I an above average school. I have gone to Oakridge for almost a whole year now. I am in all advanced classes except band and business. I am in the sixth grade and have found Oakridge to be like a party school. The kids there are all about getting in trouble, humiliating each other, and trying to find someone to "date". I myself am a very sophisticated, mature student who cares about having friends, however focusing on my school work too. my math teacher, and science teacher are not the best in the world because they are old and are in drop so when the retire after their five years they will have a lot of money. The band instructor is nice, If you are good at playing the instrument he chose for you. Other than that some of the kids are nice, most of the teachers are nice but don't teach good, and I learn fairly well. The office staff isn't the best, however they aren't the worst. I am truly proud to be a Bulldog!

This school is a big disappointment. Bullying is a problem and not dealt with as being serious. For over two years this has been true for my child. This has all been more than any one person (my student) should have to bear. It has opened my eyes to just how little the district really intends on dealing with bullying. Majority of faculty and staff are unfriendly and make me feel like it's an imposition to them for me to be there. Yearly Open House is a joke and nothing more than teachers explaining their background, info on Angel, and a quick rundown of how the class is set up to run for that period. No time for questions from parents and again seemingly bothered if you do ask. My ESE student has not made progress two years in a row here. Mark of a truly great school is what it can do with those students ranking lower on test scores and struggling to reach grade level expectations. When you look at testing scores pay more attention to the sub-categories and see the lack of progress there. It can be a better gauge of how things really are. It's the last year to be in this school and there will be no regret at leaving it behind.

Very disappointed with this school. My child's transition from a caring and supportive elementary school to this school was terrible and traumatic. My older daughter attended this school and this is where she learned about gangs and was accused of wearing gang-related clothing - when she had no idea what was wrong. Office staff are great but some teachers should be teaching juvenile delinquents (my opinion). Her self-esteem has suffered and I am taking her out of this school.

Last modified Oakridge Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.