836 students|Pasco

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

We have only been here 1 year so I can only speak to my child's current teacher. My child has learning issues. I talked in depth with the teacher about this before school started as well as through out the year. He was placed on a 504 plan, which is great, but is only as effective as the teacher implementing it. I have yet to see any great results from this teacher. My child is exceptionally bright but does need specialized attention and encouragement. None of which she has provided. This teacher teaches to the 90% of the class who fit in the round whole. Those few square pegs get left behind

Develops character: Disagree

This school doesn't develop anything in students. It's simply focused on the latest testing & scores, period.

We came form an A rated school in Pinellas to Odessa Elementary. last year my son was being evaluated for gifted, this year, he's barely making it through. This school & the way they teach is just awful. You do not have 1st graders walk in to a classroom w/ little to no interaction with each other all day, hand t hem packets, and make them watch videos, instead of teaching & interacting with the kids. My son has struggled in this environment from day one. The tecaher and the school makes all the right moves and says all the right things to be supportive, but at the end of the day, they fail to deliver. My son is now behind in class and despite being put on a 504 plan, is not getting the support he needs. How does a child go from being considered for a gifted program at one school, also an A rated public school, to this? I say Odessa falls horribly short. We will not return next year. One way or another, I will get my child out of this poor excuse for a school. Learning shoudl be fun and my 6 yr old dreads school every day, when he used to love it. He is not being engaged or encouraged to learn. The teacher does absolutely nothing to make him want to be there. I have talked w/ the Asst. Principal & guidance about this, but with no results. Also, being a newer school, they have very few extra curriculars for the kids. My child used to be involved in various clubs at his old school, where as here, there's nothing for him to get involved in.

This area has fabulous schools all within a few miles radius of each other and we cannot be more happy with Odessa Elementary! Fabulous administrator, wonderful teachers both academically AND in the extra classes like music and art - awesome programs!!! Love the fact they have extra reading programs for struggling learners, science and music/art camps (WOW!) So many performances and PTO activities. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I cannot say enough about the teachers my kids have had from 1st grade through 5th!! Considering all the garbage they have to do with overtesting and assessments, one would think where in the world do they find time to really teach??? But they do, and they use strategies to get to each individual kid. It also helps to have an involved parent because it is a partnership. Sadly I have heard of parents not responding to emails/parent conferences/etc. How unfair to those poor kiddos!

Amount of homework: no rating

I can't answer this for everybody. My oldest is an A student and gets everything done so quickly. When given a packet on 'Tuesday' to be returned the following Tuesday, it's done within a day or two. My other child sometimes drags it out which makes it seem like a lot when it really isn't. Every child is different and every parent who makes parameters for homework time is different.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Odessa has a great program that identifies, teaches, and supports many important character traits found in a well balanced human being. They work with the parents (those that want to be involved because sadly some think it's the school's job alone to do this) through lots of communication and fun activities. My children's favorites are lunches on the stage for being a worthy Wildcat!!!

The administration is not supportive of students with special needs and teachers were very restricted program-wise with what they could teach. My child did much better academically and socially once we switched schools.

We are very happy with the progress my son made in his Kindergarten year. He is challenged every day and responds very well to it. The facilities are very nice, clean and modern. All the staff and teachers are very friendly and have a positive attitude. The school is organized and run well. There is a lot of activities presented by the PTO organization which makes the kids look forward to something every week. I really liked other parents that I met that have their children at this school. They seem to be very interested in their children which is a key to success at any school. My son cannot imagine going anywhere else!

This is the second year my child has attended this school, and we could not be more please with the teachers, staff, volunteers, principal and assistant principal. Our child has exceeded our expectations, and we know that they will continue to achieve great success. I highly recommend it.

Last modified Odessa Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.