410 students|Volusia

Bad
Good

I have two children in the Gifted Program. As of this year a major revamping of the Gifted Services has taken place. A critical thinking unit is covered every day, a cross grade design thinking unit is worked on in small groups , and there are monthly take home projects given to each grade in an age appropriate manner. The school finally replaced some teachers who were not up to par, including one who refused to use county curriculum, and showed movies to the children in order to correct assignments in class. Parents are applauding the change for the better and we're only in Mid September. The community at large is warm and welcoming and you may consider giving Chisholm a second look.

Does a great job in a multicultural setting with limited resources

I am a Chisholm Elementary alumni. I am now a graduating senior at New Smyrna Beach High School, and I would not have chosen any other elementary school.

My kids are just completing their first year at Chisholm; they transferred from another (larger) school. I have been very happy with Chisholm. The principal, teachers & staff really seem to care & look out for the kids here. We have never had a problem with the neighborhood! This school does not offer as many extra-curricular activities as their old school; however, they do make an effort to have several activities over the year (Run-a-thon, carnival, silent auction/dinner, etc) to involve families. The 'Chissy Buck' store is actually a good motivator for my kids & the new Science lab is a big hit as well! I have been welcomed as a volunteer as well. If your child attends this school & you have complaints-- you are more than welcome to join PTA and/or SAC to suggest ways to improve it.

I give this school a average rating. My two children do not feel like they are a part of something special as I did when I was in grade school. Other than a lousy Chissy Buck their is nothing that motivates or excites them to stay interested.

My two children go to Chisholm. I love Mr. Mead and think he's doing a great job with the students and the staff. My kids now is 3rd and 4th are so happy with everything! I would never think of moving them and will be sad when they are out of Chisholm. I can't thank the teachers enough for being so loving and kind to the students, they really put their best foot foward when it comes to the kids.

This school is the worst that I have ever dealt with. Students are not treated with respect and neither are the parents. The area is bad even in the daytime...

In response to the blocking of parental attempts, I do have to agree to a point. You can not just go and make a visit, they don't let you in as 'it could disrupt the class.' In response to the extracurricular activities, the school does offer dance and chorus at least. The gifted program is very good, my daughter has been happy so far except for this year. Mr. Mead is an experienced educator and runs the school well. The neighborhood isn't that bad during the day and it is slowly rebuilding and improving consistently

Last modified Chisholm Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.