876 students|Okaloosa

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher/ parent relations needs improvement. Individual student success seems to lag due to a degree of teacher apathy. Out of three years our experience with this school was the worst we've had as a family in 25 years, 3 children and many different schools due to military relocations. So we've seen the gamut of schools. I am very disappointed with our experience with this school, from the first year, until my child exited. I will tell anyone that asks exactly why.

If your child is struggling consider an alternative education, they may not improve at this school, but be shuffled along to count as attendance.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I think it depends on the teacher. My child struggles with Language arts and math concepts and has not improved in three years of attending at this school. I received a call to replace broken crayons that my second grader did, and not when he was struggling with understanding pronouns which severely made his grade drop. Teacher/Parent communication is severely lacking and I've only had one experience with a communicative teacher, in three years, and six teachers.

My son attended Bluewater from 2nd-5th (now in 6th) and I loved the school! Parents are always welcome in the classroom and there are opportunities for every parent to volunteer. One of my sons teachers would let him come in early and/or stay later in the afternoon because he is adhd and needed a quiet environment to get his work done and often worked one on one with him. Very caring teachers and staff!

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Students learn in different ways. The right teacher can make or break a child's love for learning. I don't feel the principal does enough to place a child with a teacher who would bring out the best in them. I'm also not certain the school exceeds in optimizing the tools available to them.

My child has not been challenged at this school since moving from another 10 rated school in FL. Most teachers appear inexperienced. The principal and staff aren't welcoming and don't seem to care about getting to know parents. This area has a lot of military, so this school sees a lot of new students. I haven't heard of bullying or disciplinary issues with kids, so that is why I gave it a better rating than "bad".

My daughter struggles in Reading. She was not taught phonics in kindergarten or 1st grade. She was instructed by a sight word based curriculum. I asked for help in first grade and received none. She's now in 2nd and way behind the curve ball. But how is one supposed to succeed on reading tests that are 30-60 questions long every Friday when the foundation in reading isn't there. The principal is not supportive nor does she show any care for anyone other than herself. It's all for show. As long as the school's data looks good on paper, nothing else matters.

We moved to this area in Nov 2013. My child improved a whole grade level in reading and math in just a few months. We are so happy. My child also loves school, loves homework and is a completely different child since the move. Thank you to the teachers and staff for their dedication to making sure kids master each subject. Also what a joy that the office and staff make an effort to know the children personally. No child is ever on the back burner. Care and support for each child to succeed in their education and their social life with others is very important at BWE.

BWE is awesome and all staff from teachers to front office staff rock! They know the kids so it is worth your while to get to know the teachers and staff too. Best before and after school care along with summer camp! My daughter started out in Project Child, which is sad to say that the school can not offer anymore but is now in Team Quest and is challenged and learning a lot! My only 2 complaints are creative writing is not year round and that we have common core but all schools do!

Just moved into this school and so far it does not live up to its 10 rating or A+ rating. Every time I go into the front office I am barely spoken to. They don't want to get to know your children, the principal has not introduced themselves to us and the bullying on the bus is not handled fully. In gym my kids run mile after mile, they have not played any games or taught anything new. The teachers my children have want no one in their classrooms to volunteer. So disappointing, we moved into this schools zoning area and are very disappointed.

Last modified Bluewater Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.