Laurel Nokomis School

Public | PK-8 | 1000 students

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

We moved here during the 2nd semester of the 2012-2013 school year. I enrolled FOUR children in different age ranges/grade levels at LNS. Two who were struggling and 2 were trying to understand what was expected of them. First of all, when I asked them how their first day went, they all said that they were NOT introduced to their class. Each of them was ORDERED to find a seat. One of my older children could not find an empty seat so the teacher said, "well, I guess you'll have to stand all day since you can't seem to find a seat!!" My 2nd grader came home on her first day of school with a spelling test that had a big fat red circled F with the word "Study." Really? It was her FIRST DAY! The other 2 didn't say much at all. We had numerous conferences with the stoic principal who seemed distant and 'untouchable,' the vice-principal who was really a sweetheart, the counselor who seemed removed from everything, and the teachers who could have cared less about our students. Nothing changed as to how things were handled. The funniest thing is, they kept repeating their motto at LNS: "To be kind and caring" ....um, HA!!! Needless to say, we pulled them out. I DO NOT recommend this school.

Posted June 16, 2014

As a parent of a child with an IEP, this school is amazing! The teachers have been so great in achieving emotional and academic growth in my child. The school goes the extra mile to make sure my child gets a proper education that also fits my child's needs. Love this school! Can't wait for next year!

Posted October 29, 2013

This is a wonderful school. However, students are expected to do their work and behave. Usually parents who pull their children out and blame the school, are parents who were unable/unwilling to have their children respect the school rules and behave accordingly. The teachers and administrators will try to work with people who are reasonable.

Posted October 27, 2013

Please do not believe the postive reviews they are lying. The principal is one of the worst I habe ever seen. The teacher are not equipped or educated enough to be able to help education the iep children. Please research this school before you send your child there.

Posted September 26, 2013

It is too early in the school year to write a comprehensive review, so with said this is my general feeling. How many schools provide gifted education full-time? Laurel Nokomis! How many public schools have certified gifted teachers? Laurel Nokomis! I think it is awesome that the kids stay with the same group till 8th grade. A tight community is a result. I think the teachers, administrative staff and parents all work together for the kids. Yes, things there can and will improve because people there care!

Posted August 17, 2013

Laurel nokomis school is a great place for kids to be. It's an outdoor school. It has great teachers and the grades are from pre-school all the way to eith grade! So the younger kids can look up to the bigger kids and you woudnt have to worry about going to a whole new school after elementary school. This will be my last year at LNS. It may need some improvements but it is a great place to go to school at.

Posted May 26, 2013

Someone here went on a positive posting spree.. one after another to improve this schools ratings. I had my son in there... and I can tell you he was a little boy in 3rd and 4th grade who was HATING school. It's no wonder after I heard how much his teacher screamed at him and others, humiliating them in public. We removed him in the middle of 4th grade, and he now LOVES school and is doing excellant.

Posted November 1, 2012

Great Schools. org should investigate false statements written concerning Laurel Nokomis School. This educational institution employs highly qualified principals, teachers and staff who understand and care about the entire students' academic and emotional needs. This school earns a "10" rating when it comes to serving all students; from gifted to special needs.

Posted October 28, 2012

I see a lot of new reviews, day after day in attempt to approve this school rating. Parents, do your homework in investigating this school. So many bad reviews are a red flag, alerting parents that something is not right with this school. I couldn't get our child out fast enough, I have nothing good to say about this school. The principle.. Hard to believe she is still there!,,

Posted September 24, 2012

I am the parent of a "graduate" of LNS and feel compelled to weigh in on the negative comments. I had the opportunity to chose any city in the state of Florida when my son and I relocated here from Colorado. I specifically chose Sarasota because of the impressive quality of schools in the district. I then decided to live in Nokomis to ensure my son would attend Laurel Nokomis School when the school year started. I was impressed before he started at the school (reports, rankings, scores, and a tour of the school before arriving) and continued to be very pleased during his three years in middle school there. It is a great school and I feel very fortunate to have had him be part of the 2011 "graduating class." LNS is a wonderful school!!

Posted September 23, 2012

I have worked for the administrators at Laurel Nokomis School for more than 7 years. I can tell you that they have the highest regard for their students and that they want only the best for them academically and socially. They constantly work with the staff to provide the best for the students. I have always felt their support and felt that all they do is for the advancement of each individual student and for the success of all the students. I have also felt that in these times of concern for the safety of students, that the administrators have been didligent. They have taken measures to make the campus one where students and faculty feel safe and secure. The decidcation of the administration and staff is the highest I have ever seen. If your child is a student at Laurel Nokomis you are most fortunate.

Posted September 22, 2012

Great school, great teachers, great administration, great kids and supportive pto! Top in the district and state for academic achievement!

Posted September 21, 2012

Couldn't disagree more. My experience with the schools especially Laurel has been just great. Teachers and principals couldn't be more caring and they try to help everyone. Maybe people should stop watching so much negative TV about the education system and think for themselves. Here it's excellent.

Posted September 21, 2012

I must say, we just moved here and could not be happier. We came from a school that had a wonderful gifted program and wanted to have the same here and we have found it at LNS. My son could not be happier and I feel the same way. Everyone we have come in contact with is more then happy to assist us or answer any questions we have. I highly recommend this school to anyone that is looking for a great learning, involved atmosphere.

Posted September 21, 2012

I am the mother of 4 children whom all have attended LNS. Our family has experienced the full spectrum of programs offered at this school. It is because of LNS that I am such a huge advocate for public education! As a full time working mother, I find the time to volunteer a minimum of 8 hours a week at the school. I am willing to give my time to fundraising for our school because I see first hand the dedication of the staff. It truly is like a big family. The students are all encouraged to strive for the absolute top potential that they personally have in them. There is more support services available than at many schools, also. Being a kindergarten-8th grade school, the middle school students appear to have an easier transition than going to a much larger school. Our experience has been 100% positive and I am very grateful for ALL the staff at Laurel-Nokomis School!

Posted September 20, 2012

I have worked at LNS for many years and wouldn't work to work for any other principal. When you do your "job" (student, teacher, parent), your reward is a successful child. Someone mentioned constant awards: it's nice to recognize success - and we do, but why should a child be constantly rewarded for doing what is expected? Life doesn't work that way. Folks: if you don't like LNS, you have the freedom to choose another school during the school choice period. As for discrimination against children with disabilities, sometimes the needs of some children can only be met by the staffs at a school like Oak Park. Daily, we work to make the best of what you send to us. Some parents are not involved enough; others are helicopter parents. Many people compare Dubin to Katz; I have worked for both and I feel that we are a stronger school now than we were before when the focus was always on a certain class of students. We are an A+ school for a good reason: our leadership and teachers.

Posted September 20, 2012

It is sad to see that a few disgruntled parents can cause such a negative view of a school. This is one of the best schools in the area and has an excellent reputation.

Posted September 20, 2012

I'm rather shocked by the negative reviews being written - I've been involved with this school as a parent, a volunteer, and an employee. I view this school as excellent. My children were rewarded with an excellent education, they did not expect "rewards" for expected behavior. The students are taught to be responsible for their actions and fairly dealt with when they make the wrong choices. Sometimes parents are not aware of their children's true behavior at school. I can't believe a child was going to be expelled when he'd never had ANY history of disciplinary problems. That is usually the result of a long list or sometimes the action is one that demands expulsion. In any case, we have few serious discipline problems, we don't put up with student harrassment or bullying, and if a child is found guilty of this, they should, in my opinion, be expelled.

Posted July 20, 2012

I disagree with the comments that have been posted regarding LNS. My son has attended this school since Kindergarten and has had nothing but a positive experience. It was the school that placed him in the gifted program after 1st grade not me. He has maintained this status due to his performance.Of the 67 school Districts in FL Sarasota was 1 of only 5 schools that advanced after the 2012 FCAT in ranking and contiues to be in the top 5-8 placement for districts every year. I have found the admisistrave staff and teachers to always respond professionaly and promptly if i have any concern with my sons school performance or any personal issues. Communication is key. As for events and such, the PTO does a wonderful job of raising money for our students and teachers to help costs. If you are not involved shame on you. You might have a better understanding of the budget cuts for our kids and how successful the PTO has been in raising extra money. My son will be entering Middle School this year. LNS Middle school is one of the top school choice schools in Sarasota. LNS is a wonderful school do not let the other reviews sway you from sending your child.

Posted April 29, 2012

My child will not be returning to this school, for ALL the reasons already mentioned.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

112 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

124 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

124 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

141 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

139 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

141 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

140 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

98 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

148 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music