1,023 students|Sarasota

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

My son was in the Autism unit and was able to be mainstreamed into a regular classroom. I credit the educators at LNS for supporting this achievement. He loves school and the administration. I am most impressed by the spirit of inclusion we have experienced at the school. When I go to an event and several times in public I am approached by someone who is involved with my son's education be it an administrator, an educator or even a support staff member ( the cafeteria lady recognized him at the grocery store one day!) I was worried that my child may experience bullying since he is very "different" from his peers, but was pleasantly surprised to find the other students to be open and supportive. Honestly it was such a relief to see my son embraced by the other students I welled up a bit. I would recommend this school to anyone who has a student with special educational needs, and especially to parents of children on the Autism Spectrum. My only complaint is that it does not extend beyond the 8th grade. All good things must come to an end, but I feel my son is well prepared to meet the challenges before him and a good deal of credit belongs to the fantastic people at LNS.

My daughter started middle school at Laurel Nokomis School and she really truly enjoyed school and still made straight A's the entire year. She did not miss a single day all year, and also was not even tardy a single day. This was a first for her. The interaction with the Principal, school events, PTO and teachers was amazing.

I have both of my daughters enrolled in Laurel Nokomis. We as a family live this school. The girls have had so many positive experiences there. There has only been one teacher that one of my daughters had that I didn't personally "click" with but it still turned out to be a positive school year for her. The staff is very caring, wonderful people.

I have a middle schooler and an elementary student that have both been there since kindergarten. We have had a great experience every year. The transition to middle school is so seamless and there are so many great programs available. Highly recommend!!

I'm proud to see our school rated 10 out of 10 on student achievement scores. The teaching and learning taking place at LNS is excellent!

Be very, very, wary of this school if your child has an IEP. The principal and at least one teacher I ve had to experience have a cavalier attitude towards IEPs. My child s teacher didn t even bother to read his before the start of the school year. This particular teacher was ill prepared to cope with his disabilities. I agree with the assertion I read earlier this school should be investigated - preferably by the county's director of the Exceptional Student Education Department!

The thing about anonymous reviews is that people can describe these horrible, negative experiences as though they are completely true. The last posting doesn't even make sense. Not giving a child a chair? Laurel Nokomis School has caring teachers, administrators and office staff who do their best to help students learn. Sometimes when people don't get the answers they want they become angry and write these negative things. No school is perfect, including this school. But the bottom line is that this is a highly rated, "A" school with some of the best test scores in the district and state. The PTO is very involved and raises funds to provide students with extras like special field trips and technology. They hold many family events like the Fall Festival and the Daddy Daughter Dance, to name two. The school is a gifted magnet and also has a autism cluster. We are great with meeting the needs of a full range of student abilities. For the most part, the teachers are very flexible in working with students. If you choose to work WITH the staff, instead of against them and you are willing to disicpline your child when needed, this school can be a great school for your family.

We moved here during the 2nd semester of the 2012-2013 school year. I enrolled FOUR children in different age ranges/grade levels at LNS. Two who were struggling and 2 were trying to understand what was expected of them. First of all, when I asked them how their first day went, they all said that they were NOT introduced to their class. Each of them was ORDERED to find a seat. One of my older children could not find an empty seat so the teacher said, "well, I guess you'll have to stand all day since you can't seem to find a seat!!" My 2nd grader came home on her first day of school with a spelling test that had a big fat red circled F with the word "Study." Really? It was her FIRST DAY! The other 2 didn't say much at all. We had numerous conferences with the stoic principal who seemed distant and 'untouchable,' the vice-principal who was really a sweetheart, the counselor who seemed removed from everything, and the teachers who could have cared less about our students. Nothing changed as to how things were handled. The funniest thing is, they kept repeating their motto at LNS: "To be kind and caring" ....um, HA!!! Needless to say, we pulled them out. I DO NOT recommend this school.

As a parent of a child with an IEP, this school is amazing! The teachers have been so great in achieving emotional and academic growth in my child. The school goes the extra mile to make sure my child gets a proper education that also fits my child's needs. Love this school! Can't wait for next year!

Please do not believe the postive reviews they are lying. The principal is one of the worst I habe ever seen. The teacher are not equipped or educated enough to be able to help education the iep children. Please research this school before you send your child there.

Last modified Laurel Nokomis School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.