Posted August 27, 2014
We moved here during the 2nd semester of the 2012-2013 school year. I enrolled FOUR children in different age ranges/grade levels at LNS. Two who were struggling and 2 were trying to understand what was expected of them. First of all, when I asked them how their first day went, they all said that they were NOT introduced to their class. Each of them was ORDERED to find a seat. One of my older children could not find an empty seat so the teacher said, "well, I guess you'll have to stand all day since you can't seem to find a seat!!" My 2nd grader came home on her first day of school with a spelling test that had a big fat red circled F with the word "Study." Really? It was her FIRST DAY! The other 2 didn't say much at all. We had numerous conferences with the stoic principal who seemed distant and 'untouchable,' the vice-principal who was really a sweetheart, the counselor who seemed removed from everything, and the teachers who could have cared less about our students. Nothing changed as to how things were handled. The funniest thing is, they kept repeating their motto at LNS: "To be kind and caring" ....um, HA!!! Needless to say, we pulled them out. I DO NOT recommend this school.

Posted June 16, 2014
As a parent of a child with an IEP, this school is amazing! The teachers have been so great in achieving emotional and academic growth in my child. The school goes the extra mile to make sure my child gets a proper education that also fits my child's needs. Love this school! Can't wait for next year!

Posted October 29, 2013
This is a wonderful school. However, students are expected to do their work and behave. Usually parents who pull their children out and blame the school, are parents who were unable/unwilling to have their children respect the school rules and behave accordingly. The teachers and administrators will try to work with people who are reasonable.

Posted October 27, 2013
Please do not believe the postive reviews they are lying. The principal is one of the worst I habe ever seen. The teacher are not equipped or educated enough to be able to help education the iep children. Please research this school before you send your child there.

Posted September 26, 2013
It is too early in the school year to write a comprehensive review, so with said this is my general feeling. How many schools provide gifted education full-time? Laurel Nokomis! How many public schools have certified gifted teachers? Laurel Nokomis! I think it is awesome that the kids stay with the same group till 8th grade. A tight community is a result. I think the teachers, administrative staff and parents all work together for the kids. Yes, things there can and will improve because people there care!

Posted August 17, 2013
Laurel nokomis school is a great place for kids to be. It's an outdoor school. It has great teachers and the grades are from pre-school all the way to eith grade! So the younger kids can look up to the bigger kids and you woudnt have to worry about going to a whole new school after elementary school. This will be my last year at LNS. It may need some improvements but it is a great place to go to school at.

Posted May 26, 2013
Someone here went on a positive posting spree.. one after another to improve this schools ratings. I had my son in there... and I can tell you he was a little boy in 3rd and 4th grade who was HATING school. It's no wonder after I heard how much his teacher screamed at him and others, humiliating them in public. We removed him in the middle of 4th grade, and he now LOVES school and is doing excellant.

Posted November 01, 2012
Great Schools. org should investigate false statements written concerning Laurel Nokomis School. This educational institution employs highly qualified principals, teachers and staff who understand and care about the entire students' academic and emotional needs. This school earns a "10" rating when it comes to serving all students; from gifted to special needs.

Posted October 28, 2012
I see a lot of new reviews, day after day in attempt to approve this school rating. Parents, do your homework in investigating this school. So many bad reviews are a red flag, alerting parents that something is not right with this school. I couldn't get our child out fast enough, I have nothing good to say about this school. The principle.. Hard to believe she is still there!,,

Posted September 24, 2012
I am the parent of a "graduate" of LNS and feel compelled to weigh in on the negative comments. I had the opportunity to chose any city in the state of Florida when my son and I relocated here from Colorado. I specifically chose Sarasota because of the impressive quality of schools in the district. I then decided to live in Nokomis to ensure my son would attend Laurel Nokomis School when the school year started. I was impressed before he started at the school (reports, rankings, scores, and a tour of the school before arriving) and continued to be very pleased during his three years in middle school there. It is a great school and I feel very fortunate to have had him be part of the 2011 "graduating class." LNS is a wonderful school!!

Laurel Nokomis School
1900 Laurel Road East, Nokomis, FL  34275
Last modified Laurel Nokomis School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurel Nokomis School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews.