Nokomis, FL
Students enrolled: 1,000

Posted December 02, 2014
We have a great school. We work hard with all students, those with IEP's and those without. We usually get excellent results, sometimes in spite of the parents and more often with parent cooperation. We know the REAL stories behind most of these negative postings. There are always two sides. We refer this writer to the previous post on November 11th, as it seems to apply.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 14, 2014
Be very, very, wary of this school if your child has an IEP. The principal and at least one teacher I ve had to experience have a cavalier attitude towards IEPs. My child s teacher didn t even bother to read his before the start of the school year. This particular teacher was ill prepared to cope with his disabilities. I agree with the assertion I read earlier this school should be investigated - preferably by the county's director of the Exceptional Student Education Department!

Posted November 11, 2014
The thing about anonymous reviews is that people can describe these horrible, negative experiences as though they are completely true. The last posting doesn't even make sense. Not giving a child a chair? Laurel Nokomis School has caring teachers, administrators and office staff who do their best to help students learn. Sometimes when people don't get the answers they want they become angry and write these negative things. No school is perfect, including this school. But the bottom line is that this is a highly rated, "A" school with some of the best test scores in the district and state. The PTO is very involved and raises funds to provide students with extras like special field trips and technology. They hold many family events like the Fall Festival and the Daddy Daughter Dance, to name two. The school is a gifted magnet and also has a autism cluster. We are great with meeting the needs of a full range of student abilities. For the most part, the teachers are very flexible in working with students. If you choose to work WITH the staff, instead of against them and you are willing to disicpline your child when needed, this school can be a great school for your family.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 27, 2014
We moved here during the 2nd semester of the 2012-2013 school year. I enrolled FOUR children in different age ranges/grade levels at LNS. Two who were struggling and 2 were trying to understand what was expected of them. First of all, when I asked them how their first day went, they all said that they were NOT introduced to their class. Each of them was ORDERED to find a seat. One of my older children could not find an empty seat so the teacher said, "well, I guess you'll have to stand all day since you can't seem to find a seat!!" My 2nd grader came home on her first day of school with a spelling test that had a big fat red circled F with the word "Study." Really? It was her FIRST DAY! The other 2 didn't say much at all. We had numerous conferences with the stoic principal who seemed distant and 'untouchable,' the vice-principal who was really a sweetheart, the counselor who seemed removed from everything, and the teachers who could have cared less about our students. Nothing changed as to how things were handled. The funniest thing is, they kept repeating their motto at LNS: "To be kind and caring" ....um, HA!!! Needless to say, we pulled them out. I DO NOT recommend this school.
3 people found this helpful

Posted June 16, 2014
As a parent of a child with an IEP, this school is amazing! The teachers have been so great in achieving emotional and academic growth in my child. The school goes the extra mile to make sure my child gets a proper education that also fits my child's needs. Love this school! Can't wait for next year!

Posted October 27, 2013
Please do not believe the postive reviews they are lying. The principal is one of the worst I habe ever seen. The teacher are not equipped or educated enough to be able to help education the iep children. Please research this school before you send your child there.

Posted September 26, 2013
It is too early in the school year to write a comprehensive review, so with said this is my general feeling. How many schools provide gifted education full-time? Laurel Nokomis! How many public schools have certified gifted teachers? Laurel Nokomis! I think it is awesome that the kids stay with the same group till 8th grade. A tight community is a result. I think the teachers, administrative staff and parents all work together for the kids. Yes, things there can and will improve because people there care!

Posted August 17, 2013
Laurel nokomis school is a great place for kids to be. It's an outdoor school. It has great teachers and the grades are from pre-school all the way to eith grade! So the younger kids can look up to the bigger kids and you woudnt have to worry about going to a whole new school after elementary school. This will be my last year at LNS. It may need some improvements but it is a great place to go to school at.

Posted May 26, 2013
Someone here went on a positive posting spree.. one after another to improve this schools ratings. I had my son in there... and I can tell you he was a little boy in 3rd and 4th grade who was HATING school. It's no wonder after I heard how much his teacher screamed at him and others, humiliating them in public. We removed him in the middle of 4th grade, and he now LOVES school and is doing excellant.

Posted November 01, 2012
Great Schools. org should investigate false statements written concerning Laurel Nokomis School. This educational institution employs highly qualified principals, teachers and staff who understand and care about the entire students' academic and emotional needs. This school earns a "10" rating when it comes to serving all students; from gifted to special needs.

Laurel Nokomis School
1900 Laurel Road East, Nokomis, FL  34275
Last modified Laurel Nokomis School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurel Nokomis School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top