School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thanks for looking at our school. We have a great deal of information on our Website at www.islandvillage.org. Thanks to all of our parents who support the vision of our school. Please visit our Vision section to learn more about what we do and why we do it.
May 29, 2014

Posted May 05, 2015
The Venice Campus does a good job with letting children adapt to learning style that best suits the child. For that, my kids enjoy this school. The teachers and staff have NO desire to stop bullying at any level. for a 0-tolerance policy, our children have endured cyber bullying, teasing, physical bullying, name calling, isolation and more, even having projects made for school damaged by other students. after countless meetings, complaints, letters, emails and more-bullying continues. This school has such liberal views that they will not stop bullies in case they hurt the bullying students feelings. hell with the boys and girls that end up hating going to school as a result. I was told that after a year, we would want to move our kids away from IVMS. 100% correct. in less than a year we found a new school and they will be attending elsewhere next year. Don't expect the teachers to let you know either. I don't think its their fault, I got the distinct impression the principal does not want bad reports going home no matter what.

Posted February 18, 2015
Well I would say this is a really nice school. The campus on Clark road is way out of town, but it's nestled in the middle of beautiful wildlife, trees and is like something out of a movie. I think this adds to the experience and provides an enriching environment for the kids. I really don't like authority much so it's sometimes hard dealing with other peoples rules. For example they don't want the kids to run to class. I don't mind if my kid busts his butt running so I would not complain if he got hurt. The staff has a lot of different personalities to deal with so it's not easy to please everyone. What you put in you will get out. I would say the school is missing male teachers, not a single male teacher at the Clark campus. You need both male and female teachers to give a well rounded experience. They said that they don't have any male teachers applying for a position at that campus so lets get some guys on staff. As for diversity, the families that send there kids to a school like this are very open and welcoming. To drive all the way out to that campus you have to be committed to the cause. I would pay money to send my kid here if that's what it took.

Island Village Montessori School 4

Posted October 16, 2014
I have 4 children currently enrolled in this school for the last 5 years. The teachers and the staff have been tremendous. My children love going to Island Village especially because of their music and art programs. As a parent, I have been treated with the utmost respect and whenever I have needed to talk with anyone associated with the school they have made time for me.

Island Village Montessori School 4

Posted October 03, 2014
Seriously, a multicultural program is the LAST place non-white families would be treated with prejudice!

Posted September 27, 2014
this school is only for white families, the treat African American Children with prejudice. They are not fair, no equality and they treat the parents like trash. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN THEIR!

Island Village Montessori School 3

Posted May 29, 2014
I believe it is better than public school. The teachers in my sons class were very cold to me. They eventually warmed up a bit. One was compassionate, but the other was very judgmental. They were both kind to my son, and seemed to be very passionate about being teachers. I am very happy with how my son is learning, and enjoy listening to his stories everyday about what he has learned. His classroom seems well run for the most part. Discipline seems to be handled very well. There doesn't seem to be any bullying. I like the enrichment offered. My son now enjoys school (he hated public school). Everyone in the office has been kind, including after and before care. My other concern is communication. I just feel like everything is last minute and I get a lot of "Oh, you didn't get that?". And, of course, the judgmental teacher always places blame on me if I didn't get something. I am really glad she will not be here next year. I also wish they can carry backpacks. They have work folders and lunch boxes...and then notes and important papers. I am not highly impressed, but I like it. It is better than public. I think if the teachers were warmer I would give more stars...maybe next year..

Posted April 02, 2014
This school has been a positive and amazing change for my son, I had him at a public school before, and he was unhappy, and bullied everyday, but when I placed him at Island Montessori he changed completely, he comes home excited, happy and joking everyday, he says is the best school ever, and has not been bullied here, he says the teachers will not accept any bullying, which has been a blessing, every day now my son comes home talking about how the teachers are so helpful and won't give up until everyone understands all subjects, he says he understand everything much better than in other schools, he loves his teachers, and has made lots of friends, but the best part, is that he is so engaged into learning, and tells me all about the new things he learns everyday, absolutely amazing, I am very very happy here! best school ever, everyone is considerate and understanding. love Island Village Montessori at Venice FL

Posted January 15, 2014
I completely agree with the post from August 13,2012 regarding Sarasota campus. The staff are micro managed by an administration and they do not appear to be skilled working with children. Staff did not communicate with family unless they were granted permission via email by admin. Student attending showed severe signs of stress within one week. Saw a decreased appetite, and sought a MD to determine cause of stress and changes in physiologic behavior. Staff were cold and unresponsive to needs of child and did not follow Montessori philosophy. Classes too large, poor communication. Venice campus was much better! Venice is established and stay true to Montessori philosophy. Sarasota campus needs better leadership in my opinion.

Posted January 14, 2014
The Montessori education is an amazing way of teaching students. My child started in Kindergarten and now is in Middle School. He has grown to be an individual and a free thinker and an independent learner. I will admit at first I was skeptical of the education but I didn't really know what it was all about. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the Montessori education and it is not a train. Amazing style of teaching to build the student to become an individual and a great leader. Also the student teacher ratio is fantastic, the one on one time with teachers as well is excellent. Looking back and deciding weather to go to Montessori or Public School for my child I would do it all again and choose Montessori.

Island Village Montessori School 2

Posted January 06, 2014
The staff really needs some leadership skills and needs to stop drilling FCAT packets. We signed our kids up for a better education that this.

Island Village Montessori School
2001 Pinebrook Road, Nokomis, FL  34275
Last modified Island Village Montessori School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Island Village Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top