677 students|Sarasota
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thanks for looking at our school. We have a great deal of information on our Website at www.islandvillage.org. Thanks to all of our parents who support the vision of our school. Please visit our Vision section to learn more about what we do and why we do it.
May 29, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Bright, encouraging school. Truly caring, active staff. My kids are good friends with every one in their LE, they appreciate the serene atmosphere of their class. I highly recommend this Montessori school.

Amount of homework: Neutral

Very average, nothing crazy. Homework is homework after all. It's the school itself that awful

Horrible horrible school. As a former student, I can now express freely how much I hate this school. They treat all students very rudely, even more so the ones with disability. They had no tolerance for everything despite their "Montessori" kid friendly status. The school management was also terrible. We had a very bad and rude adviser. They also could not stop the huge bully problem at the school, but blamed it on the former high school students. Honesty, it seemed like the staff didn't actually like being around children and teens. It really looked like that they only came around because it was their source of income. They treated us like half human idiots, giving us no trust at all. Testing season was always frantic, the internet was really bad even though the tests were online. It's a good thing they got rid of the high school because they could not handle it. I wrote this because as a former student, I wished to help families that consider this school for them to avoid similar problems. It may become better in the future, but our experience there was really really bad.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They do not trust their students at all. As a student myself, I felt like they were really rude and too "busy" for us. No compassion, no respect at all. All they had was a NO TOLERANCE policy because they didn't want to deal with students individually. We were just the masses, the bunch of kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The teachers were ok. Not very competent at all. I can't speak for all teachers of course, some of them were good and some of them were not. The managements and higher ups were all terrible without exception though.

I am truly sad to write a poor review but I must share our experience. I am an educator with an advanced degree with nothing to gain. I hope that I can spare another family from a similar experience. Such a bad experience that we pulled our children out mid-way through the year. Numerous issues including non-certified Montessori teachers clustering around 1 that had the credentials and calling it good. So much yelling at children that I was uncomfortable (as a parent that witnessed it). Berating young children--my son came home and told me that he was "dumb" and a "bad boy." What Montessori philosophy allows for that type of behavior from adults? He cried every day for months and hated going to school. 15 months later, he's all but forgotten the rotten experience and he's flourishing. Middle School was a bit better but not great. Great teachers, solid assignments and good work load at beginning of year. After one month, the expectations were lowered, assignments cast off and things made more lax. Instead of challenging kiddos, they "dumbed it down" so that everyone could keep up. There is absolutely no attempt to feed those kids that wanted more...it was definitely slow down to the lowest level. It's too bad because the art, music, creativity and self-directed learning are great aspirations! Recommendations: certify ALL teachers, hire people that actually like children and want to inspire them to be better and to do better. Observe your teachers in action (what I personally observed was appalling and I volunteered for 2 field trips and help in the classroom). Have a 3rd party do it and clear out the unsuitable teachers--they give you a bad name. The disdain that the teachers had for the elementary kids was hard to witness. Another recommendation: over-communicate to your parents and families. Tell them what's going on and do it consistently. Lastly, listen to your parents; take the feedback and act upon it. It's so valuable! Our 5 months at IVMS were the worst school experience that I have ever dealt with...and we've had kids in school since 2006 in 3 different school districts. Worst experience ever but we've recovered. Take care of the kids-they do deserve better.

I know I should have done this review way earlier in the year but I felt I should still share my feelings about the school. I went here for a week and left. I did not like this school at all and I'm glad I went back to my old school. First of all there highschool is not developed. Teaching two classes in one! I couldn't even pay attention since on the other side of the room is the other ''class''. I felt like no one honeslty cared. The teachers were ok but I felt left out and no one to talk to since there were only about 20 students for 9th and 10th. They made me do ESOL to see if I can speack English but I speack English perfectly fine I felt offended to be honest but It's whatever. Glad I left that school.

My kids (9 and 6 years old) love this school!!! The dress code is simple to follow. They enjoy picking out their shirts. My kids both love their teachers. They were sad when summer came. My one child did ok in normal school settings, but both have blossomed here.

The Venice Campus does a good job with letting children adapt to learning style that best suits the child. For that, my kids enjoy this school. The teachers and staff have NO desire to stop bullying at any level. for a 0-tolerance policy, our children have endured cyber bullying, teasing, physical bullying, name calling, isolation and more, even having projects made for school damaged by other students. after countless meetings, complaints, letters, emails and more-bullying continues. This school has such liberal views that they will not stop bullies in case they hurt the bullying students feelings. hell with the boys and girls that end up hating going to school as a result. I was told that after a year, we would want to move our kids away from IVMS. 100% correct. in less than a year we found a new school and they will be attending elsewhere next year. Don't expect the teachers to let you know either. I don't think its their fault, I got the distinct impression the principal does not want bad reports going home no matter what.

Well I would say this is a really nice school. The campus on Clark road is way out of town, but it's nestled in the middle of beautiful wildlife, trees and is like something out of a movie. I think this adds to the experience and provides an enriching environment for the kids. I really don't like authority much so it's sometimes hard dealing with other peoples rules. For example they don't want the kids to run to class. I don't mind if my kid busts his butt running so I would not complain if he got hurt. The staff has a lot of different personalities to deal with so it's not easy to please everyone. What you put in you will get out. I would say the school is missing male teachers, not a single male teacher at the Clark campus. You need both male and female teachers to give a well rounded experience. They said that they don't have any male teachers applying for a position at that campus so lets get some guys on staff. As for diversity, the families that send there kids to a school like this are very open and welcoming. To drive all the way out to that campus you have to be committed to the cause. I would pay money to send my kid here if that's what it took.

Last modified Island Village Montessori School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.