Public charter
Nokomis, FL
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thanks for looking at our school. We have a great deal of information on our Website at www.islandvillage.org. Thanks to all of our parents who support the vision of our school. Please visit our Vision section to learn more about what we do and why we do it.
May 29, 2014

Island Village Montessori School 4

Posted October 16, 2014
I have 4 children currently enrolled in this school for the last 5 years. The teachers and the staff have been tremendous. My children love going to Island Village especially because of their music and art programs. As a parent, I have been treated with the utmost respect and whenever I have needed to talk with anyone associated with the school they have made time for me.

Island Village Montessori School 4

Posted October 03, 2014
Seriously, a multicultural program is the LAST place non-white families would be treated with prejudice!

Island Village Montessori School 1

Posted September 27, 2014
this school is only for white families, the treat African American Children with prejudice. They are not fair, no equality and they treat the parents like trash. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN THEIR!

Island Village Montessori School 3

Posted May 29, 2014
I believe it is better than public school. The teachers in my sons class were very cold to me. They eventually warmed up a bit. One was compassionate, but the other was very judgmental. They were both kind to my son, and seemed to be very passionate about being teachers. I am very happy with how my son is learning, and enjoy listening to his stories everyday about what he has learned. His classroom seems well run for the most part. Discipline seems to be handled very well. There doesn't seem to be any bullying. I like the enrichment offered. My son now enjoys school (he hated public school). Everyone in the office has been kind, including after and before care. My other concern is communication. I just feel like everything is last minute and I get a lot of "Oh, you didn't get that?". And, of course, the judgmental teacher always places blame on me if I didn't get something. I am really glad she will not be here next year. I also wish they can carry backpacks. They have work folders and lunch boxes...and then notes and important papers. I am not highly impressed, but I like it. It is better than public. I think if the teachers were warmer I would give more stars...maybe next year..

Posted April 02, 2014
This school has been a positive and amazing change for my son, I had him at a public school before, and he was unhappy, and bullied everyday, but when I placed him at Island Montessori he changed completely, he comes home excited, happy and joking everyday, he says is the best school ever, and has not been bullied here, he says the teachers will not accept any bullying, which has been a blessing, every day now my son comes home talking about how the teachers are so helpful and won't give up until everyone understands all subjects, he says he understand everything much better than in other schools, he loves his teachers, and has made lots of friends, but the best part, is that he is so engaged into learning, and tells me all about the new things he learns everyday, absolutely amazing, I am very very happy here! best school ever, everyone is considerate and understanding. love Island Village Montessori at Venice FL

Island Village Montessori School 1

Posted January 15, 2014
I completely agree with the post from August 13,2012 regarding Sarasota campus. The staff are micro managed by an administration and they do not appear to be skilled working with children. Staff did not communicate with family unless they were granted permission via email by admin. Student attending showed severe signs of stress within one week. Saw a decreased appetite, and sought a MD to determine cause of stress and changes in physiologic behavior. Staff were cold and unresponsive to needs of child and did not follow Montessori philosophy. Classes too large, poor communication. Venice campus was much better! Venice is established and stay true to Montessori philosophy. Sarasota campus needs better leadership in my opinion.

Posted January 14, 2014
The Montessori education is an amazing way of teaching students. My child started in Kindergarten and now is in Middle School. He has grown to be an individual and a free thinker and an independent learner. I will admit at first I was skeptical of the education but I didn't really know what it was all about. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the Montessori education and it is not a train. Amazing style of teaching to build the student to become an individual and a great leader. Also the student teacher ratio is fantastic, the one on one time with teachers as well is excellent. Looking back and deciding weather to go to Montessori or Public School for my child I would do it all again and choose Montessori.

Island Village Montessori School 2

Posted January 06, 2014
The staff really needs some leadership skills and needs to stop drilling FCAT packets. We signed our kids up for a better education that this.

Posted October 11, 2013
This school is just Phenomenal it has really Great teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My kids love it there.

Posted October 03, 2013
Every child learns differently, and every child does it at their own pace. At IVMS, no children are left behind in the rush to move forward and no children are held back because their learning pace doesn't fit into a arbitrary plan. When one of my children struggles with a concept in any subject, their educators are promptly looking for new ways to present the material so that the concept is understood. The arts are alive and thriving here as well. Math and science come alive as the kids are always doing experiments and learning concepts that pertain to the real world, making the concrete learning of math and science much more tangible. The educators at IVMS care and it shows in their learning environments and their lessons. With educators from such diverse backgrounds, the kids are exposed to a much broader view of their community and world...all this without sacrificing strong academics. My children wake up excited and eager to go to school...and yes that includes my teenager! At the end of the day, I can count on my children coming home as healthy, happy, well rounded global citizens. What more could a parent ask for?!

Island Village Montessori School
2001 Pinebrook Road, Nokomis, FL  34275
Last modified Island Village Montessori School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Island Village Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top