632 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

They let bullies get away with murder!!!!+

Amount of homework: Neutral

Some topics are not clear, and you can't get a hold of anyone to ask

Omg where do I start?!?! They don't have activities in the after care except tv and some ok snacks that they would give you at Camillus house. The bullying is what I'm here to talk about, because it's affecting my step son's school work. He has been kicked, and shoved into poles and the principal says the board of directors can't do anything about that except suspend the child. Are you kidding me!?!?! Said culprit has been suspended 3 times and that it and this has been going on for a year now. We've asked to move the kid into another class. Nothing! Asked to move my step son into another class. Nothing! It's almost like the are enjoying watching my lil prince get picked on. Treasure island is lucky to be rated 3. A school where your child like his class but it's scared because the board won't get rid of someone physically hurting him. What kind of school allows this? Unfortunately it is not my biological child, i would've taken way worse measures than listening to a bunch of adults tell me they can't expel an abusive child. All they did again was suspend him and he'll be back to inflict more pain....But THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS cannot do anything! Way to run a school there. What a shame.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The principal and assistant principal are simply not good leaders.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Most of the teachers my child has had, out of the 4 she's had, 3 were not great but Outstanding educators. One was bad and seem to not know how to motivate kids to learn.

Amount of homework: Neutral

There are times when homework I beleive is very educational and does encourage my child to learn, explore, intereact, etc however there are times, specially during long holidays when they give them a 50 page homework booklet which makes absolutely no sense to give to child during a holiday! It's ridiculous.

This school has absolutley no extracurricular activities, no clubs, no field trips! not one this year so far and we are alread going into 2017. It's unsafe, people walk all over the place without anyone having asked for any type of identification. Reception is rude, unproffesional, do not be shocked if you go into the reception and find women looking like they just rolled out of bed, chewing gum, and you have to scream at them to greet you. Principal and Assistant principal do not care about the children. The school has so much space yet is used for nothing. The gym is used as cafeteria, auditorium and aftercare center. I would say the only thing that is not so bad are the teachers themselves, which have taught my child so much, so I am grateful for that, however facility and extracurricular activites MUST improove, our kids deserve better!

My son has been attending this school since kindergarten (he is in 4th grade now), and I see a lot of changes in the past few months that has helped to improve the school. He likes to go school and his grades are very good, besides I'm also an educator and I can tell he is learning a lot. Thank you for the effort to make a better school for all the kids!

Develops character: Agree

If the student is interested in learning and doing well, he/she should not have any problem. Parent involvement is always important.

It's a "B" school and is not perfect, but my children enjoy attending Treasure Island. At this young age, "good, caring teachers" mean everything to us, and we have found great ones in every grade in this school. Treasure Island is an IB school in a great area. It has a good Gifted program. The new Principal and Asst. Principal have done wonders in a short period of time. Mr. Diaz, the IB Coordinator AND teacher of the Gifted is a great mentor; Ms. Smith is excellent and never misses a day; Ms. Violet from the Office is very caring and efficient. I have had teachers emailing me back on nights and on weekends, and I feel that they are really pushing our kids forward. Even the school's nurse is very diligent - he called me back with several updates when my kids had to go to the school clinic. Yes, the PTA needs a lot of help and more parents and teachers involvement, but it will eventually populate. We don't have any real complaints about Treasure Island. Give it a try, and save your private school money for when your kid really needs it.... in College!

Last modified Treasure Island Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.