No rating

The Benjamin School

Private | PK-12 | 1081 students

Our students become independent, collaborative and fearless learners.

Living in North Palm Beach

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $172,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Posted June 20, 2014

We left this school after my children had advanced to middle school due to an out of state move. Surprisingly my kids were behind the public school in CT and needed to be tutored! In my opinion the teachers care very much for the students and the head of school cares very much about lip service and fundraising. It is all we ever hear about at every single event! We found the programs relatively strong, except for the Chinese program at the middle school level, which is a complete disaster.

Posted June 4, 2014

This is truly an amazing school! One of the "best" in South Florida. Amazing administration and teaching staff. If your looking for a true private school education, look no further than this school. They are amazing.

Posted September 26, 2013

I have been attending the Benjamin school since pre-K and I couldn't even begin to say how happy I am here. I could read and write by the time I was done with pre-k. I also have been taking French and Spanish since first grade, and I can now speak French fluently. I also have played the Clarinet for three years, and the violin for two years. I have been offered the opportunity to take dance class for the first time last year, and enjoyed it very much. I was also a cheerleader for a year, and I am now playing tennis. This school has so many opportunities with the arts program, sports, and academics. I am also taking high school level algebra in 7th grade. For the past two years I have won the school spelling bee and placed 7th at the regional competition. Also at this school I have never witnessed any bullying. There is no racial intolerance, every religion is accepted, and every ethnicity is welcomed. This year a girl moved to my school from Vietnam. I have seen multiple people reach out to her and help her with anything she needs. I am constantly challenged at this school and think that there is no better place to put your children. Overall this is a phenomenal school.

Posted August 17, 2013

We drive forty minutes each way for my child to attend Benjamin Middle School and it is well worth every mile and every penny. The school appears financially stable. Admissions testing assures that all students are on the same page academically. That means financial resources can be used toward academic enrichment, the arts and athletics. ALL students are held accountable for their behavior and academic performance (I have not witnessed exceptions to this based on ability to donate). Awards are based on student merit, not on parent donations. The teachers are amazing and I can't imagine the administration allowing any teacher to be bullied by a parent. There are more than enough extracurricular activities for many different interests. My child became much more responsible with homework, and much more organized, after only one year here. Improvement in ERB scores as well!

Posted August 10, 2013

I attended this school Pre-K through 7th grade. Being a student of color, I was always the odd one out. While I was a student there, I was made fun of for being different because I was not white. Benjamin claims to have an anti-bullying policy but, they actually do not care as long as they're getting your money. The teachers and most of the students were prejudice. They assumed I was ignorant because of my skin color. My teachers would dumb things down for me because of my skin color and not my intelligence. Do not send your child to this school if you are colored. I was miserable there and I don't want anyone else to be treated the way I was treated.

Posted July 25, 2013

Well worth the tuition for middle school and high school; the curriculum is so much more strenuous than any public school in the area. Great and caring teachers and faculty for this tender and difficult age (especially middle school). The character building is also essential at this age and not being appropriately addressed in public middle and high schools. The Benjamin School focuses on this and creates well rounded individuals as well as top academic students. We are very satisfied with The Benjamin School.

Posted April 23, 2013

We love this school! My child is doing amazing here! The quality of education is unbeatable in this area.

Posted December 26, 2012

I have two daughters, both will be attending Ivy League colleges as a result of attending The Benjamin School. The oldest graduated in 2012 and is attending Cornell and the youngest just received an early decision to attend the University of Pennsylvania in the fall of 2013. The academic culture at this school is second to none. I highly recommend sending your child to this school if you want them to be well rounded and prepared for college!!!

Posted August 26, 2012

I have four children that are thriving at Benjamin. They all have different personalities and each learn differently as well. The student to teacher ratio is small. The teachers know our children well and are able to customize their learning experience. My children transferred from great schools in Minnesota, yet our experience at Benjamin is much better. Benjamin has a strong leadership, great teachers and provides a very comfortable environment for our children. Our children are eager to attend school each morning. The programs are challenging yet taught in a way that keep the children engaged. The teachers are constantly taking extra-curricular courses to learn about the different and better methods for teaching and learning. The school has a great focus on teaching our children about life skills. We feel very blessed to be a part of The Benjamin School community.

Posted July 28, 2012

My daughter will be a senior at Benjamin this year..the last of 14 years. Yes, there were a few bumps, some bullies in middle school, and yes, some were from well to do families. I doubt this problem is confined to economics or private schools. Benjamin has been a wonderful, amazing experience. My daughter will tell you herself how grateful she is to her father and l for giving her the opportunity to attend Benjamin. We have seen numerous families leave the school over the years, some to save the money for college and others over sour grapes. Families that are about who has more money tend to have children who judge each other over homes, clothes and cars. Over the years my daughter has had friends of every color, every religion, and every economic status. Values might be reinforced at school but they are taught at home. Some critics might want to think that over.

Posted May 31, 2012

The Benjamin School was at one time a respected school in the Northern Palm Beaches. Unfortunately, TBS is no longer competitive in a region with some elite magnet schools and well positioned private schools. Unable to sustain enrollment, TBS has been forced to raise tuition and lower financial aid. With increased costs of maintaining two campuses, one has to wonder the viability of TBS going forward. Well funded Oxbridge provides a better private HS option with better faculty, lower tuition and guaranteed financial aid. Suncoast is a top 10 high school nationally, and Dreyfoos is the top arts hs in the US. Dwyer has nationally ranked athletics. Where does that leave TBS without any competitive advantage in this very competitive market? On the outside looking in, and with a medocre college placement record and poor performance in local awards including the Pathfinder as well as regional or state recognition for the Arts. Perhaps new leadership and a culture to reshape TBS will be its only chance for survival.

Posted February 21, 2012

I am very surprised at some of these reviews. I have been attending this school since lower school and am now in high school. The school has great leadership and academics. It is also very well rounded by integrating the arts and spots into the curriculum. I have friends that have graduated this school and went to prestigious colleges and they've said that they are so prepared for everything unlike some other people at the college.I highly recommend this school.

Posted February 2, 2012

Sorry for the typo in my review below. *I was punched in the face by a student while at public school.

Posted August 15, 2011

I went to tbs for 7 years, pre-k-5 and it was horrible. The classes were way to easy and kids who excelled in math in fifth grade, about 5-10 a class, sat outside in the hall and worked on a packet none of which was explained to us even though we had to take the same quizzes as the other students, although the more advanced children were not taught these lessons. There is a lot of bullying whether or not the teachers hear of it which makes school very unpleasant. Many people still at tbs hate it there and want to switch schools. Some people I know who have left are so happy that they got to leave. Going to public school, a magnet school, helped me realize that not everyone is rich and rude,

Posted May 5, 2011

Outstanding School. Parents that are shocked about the demographic related to the wealth are being silly who do they think will be attracted to private schools. The benefit related to the cost is excellent. Great leadership, teachers and infrastructure. Keep up the great work!

Posted April 19, 2011

My youngest is graduating in May and my only regret is that we didn't move to Florida sooner so she and her sister could have had more years at this wonderful school. Great teachers, administrators, and families. Gorgeous campuses and polite students. I will miss being a part of The Benjamin School.

Posted April 5, 2011

Our child attended The Benjamin School for 3 years, pk-1 & although the grounds & amenities appear to be above many peer schools- looks can be deceiving ! First we learned that our child would not benefit in any sports/enrichment classes until after 2nd grade. Second, when tbs finally figured out it was important / beneficial & that their peers were offering post school enrichments & parents demanded it ( tbs also lost 300 students in 1 yr) they finally agreed to offer add on after school enrichment a fee days per week at an additional expense ( school is 8:15-2:45 at cost of $15-$17k per year then you pay more bc they don't offer the use of those beautiful facilities until Around 3rd grade? Next topic post will be on tutoring @ $75 / hr where tbs retains $25 & teachers get $50 & going rate for accreited teacher is $55/hr Once again tbs found a way to make money & increase price of tutoring for tbs students! Teachers are required to schedule all tutoring through the school & may not tutor tbs students off campus ( ie tbs must get their $25 cut)! More to. Come about teacher layoffs , treatment of teachers by removing simple benefits (teacher coffee in lounge removed) no water in rm

Posted December 6, 2010

I attend the Benjamin School. I am in eighth grade and I very much so dislike it. The school looks great from the outside but when you attend it is terrible. Every kid who goes here are spoiled and over privileged . The curriculum is terrible for the price you must pay.In the high school there are multiple drug problems, especially chewing tobacco. I personally have attended six schools and this is by far the worst. I beg you not to send your child here.

Posted November 28, 2010

As an alumnus of Benjamin (and former member of the "14 year club", meaning I was there for lower, middle, & upper school), I'll throw in my two cents: This school is exactly what you make of it. Because TBS attracts "rich kids", some parents expect that it will miraculously foster the talent & character that their kids don't actually have- Sorry, that's not possible. Unfortunately, money can only buy your child so much. However, for the talented (whether that be academically, artistically, and/or athletically), there are more than plenty of state-of-the-art opportunities at Benjamin. The close-knit environment is much more safe and supportive than those of the jumbo public schools in the area (despite the 20-30 dull snobs that seem to squeeze their way into every graduating class). The writing and math programs are also INCREDIBLE- I matriculated into an ivy league school and felt more prepared in these areas than the majority of my classmates. Bottom line: If you have the money & are in the South Florida area, send your child. There's really no better option.

Posted July 9, 2010

I spent four years and almost 100k at this school. Then pulled my children out and put them in public school. They were straight A students at Benjamin and were behind in the public schools. I would not recommend this school.

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 2%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Russian
Spanish
Hungarian, Greek
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Robert S. Goldberg
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• College prep
  • Internships
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013