Imagine School At North Port

Charter | K-9 | 1009 students

Posted Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I do not like this school. If I could rate it a zero I would but unfortuantely I can't. I transferred to Imagine my sophomore year of high school from North Port High, If I could go back to NPHS I would in a heartbeat. The new principle at this school turned the school upside down. Everyone that went to the school my sophomore year left because they can't stand the school. I'm a senior now and the school is STILL falling apart. Not to mention the new teachers are terrible except for 2. This school is really bad I'm sorry.

Posted April 23, 2014

GREAT SCHOOL. I have 2 children attending and this school displays a wonderful learning environment. The teachers collaborate, the principal is energetic and caring of each student, and the students are held at a high standard of behavior which makes learning easier for all. Whether your child is advanced or needs extra help, they have curriculum in place for each type of learner. So happy to have a solid education choice in this area!! Highly recommend.

Posted February 25, 2014

I've had children in 8 different schools over the past 16 years, and Imagine North Port is the best of all of them! No school is or can be perfect, but this is the only school I've seen that teaches children at their own individual level, not just a standard grade level...and for this they get my 5 stars. My 8th grader has been put into advanced classes here, and was ignored at other schools. My 2nd grader has been given advanced reading, but extra help in handwriting. PRAISE PRAISE the teachers and principals...the students are there to learn, and Imagine North Port gives them every opportunity for that! They serve healthy lunches. There are oodles of after-school clubs and sports for the middle and high school. My kids don't like to wear uniforms which unfortunately they require. Bussing needs improvement as they only have 4 busses. I have to drive my kids to school as no morning bus comes, but I still really like this school so I do it. They do offer before and after care which is nice. They are cutting choir next year, which is very disappointing. But as no school is or can be perfect...Imagine North Port is the closest I've seen a school come to perfection yet!

Posted February 12, 2014

If I could write a review and give a "zero" star status I would. The administration at this school is a joke. Since the new principle this school seems to be falling apart. There is NO follow through for ANYTHING here. Science projects were due before winter break in DECEMBER, and here it is the middle of FEBRUARY and the students JUST received their display boards. What message is this sending to the kids? New students to this school year STILL have yet to recieve any new student paperwork/handbooks after multiple inquiries to teachers and administration. They NEVER answer their phone when a call comes in and any time my child has been absent after calling and sending in a note it is still marked unexcused. Dozens and dozens of phone calls have been made to make administration aware of issues with only repetitive responses that the concerns are being addressed, but they NEVER are. A kindergarden student was left at the wrong bus stop earlier in the year and NOTHING happened as a result...no disciplinary action to the driver and no policy change. Did that student need to have something tragic happen to make someone notice?? Again, admin is a joke, the school is horrible.

Posted February 11, 2014

My daughter has ADHD. Worked with me to get 504 in place but then constantly wrote her up for behavioral issues, while others that she was "horsing around with" weren't written up. School has a reputation for "only wanting the "good kids""... None of my 3 children will be attending either of thier schools next year. Gave the new principals a chance against everyone else's recommendation, but the schools are not the same under the new principals...

Posted February 8, 2014

NOT impressed anymore! I did have high hopes for this schools ability to provide an excellent education for my child. I volunteer and I am a constant presence in this school. I speak with the teachers and let them know my child's strengths/weakness'es. They are also aware that I am a hands on parent. I have been in more than one conference regarding grades, homework, class work, etc. They know that I want to be aware of any potential learning issues prior to the progress report and certainly the report card. I witness lots of "free" time or free for all, in the class rooms. Plus hours of homework daily. The teachers are getting their lessons from random internet sites and it looks like each teacher is on his/ her own with this? Class rooms and public spaces are always filthy. Lice is a constant issue. Needless to say, I am over it ....upset today! 2nd term report cards out and again, I am ambushed with my child's grades. Very worried that my child is falling between the cracks! Mine is quiet, not a trouble maker, not a bossy or out spoken child so my fear is coming true! Classes too crowded, new & inexperienced teachers not in control, and-We will be leaving for a new 3rd grade!

Posted November 22, 2013

Would give zero stars if possible. Leadership is not the same as it was . My children do follow the rules and do homework; however the environment is much different than it used to be. My children will not be attending after this year.

Posted November 16, 2013

Nothing but good things to say about this school they really take the time to work with the students and the students excel. From what I have seen its a very safe environment with very little if any bullying. The teachers really care and work with the students. I think the few negative reviews are made by students who don't want to do homework and obey the rules or from ones from another school in order to lower Imagine's high ratings.

Posted November 13, 2013

When a school gets bad reviews from a parent that cannot spell the word "upper", you know the complaint is of no consequence. I am very happy with the new principals! Some kids have left, but that is because they can't misbehave, and dress out of uniform, etc. The new administration is tougher- and I am happy with that. The school is training these kids for the real world. I volunteer at both the elementary and upper campus- instead of complaining, maybe help out.

Posted November 12, 2013

Horrible school . I was very unhappy with my daughter going there . she was there since the fifth grade and once the new principal came she was getting Ds and Fs .

Posted September 23, 2013

Imagine is the worst school I've ever been to. They give way too much homework, The teachers cant even control their class.

Posted September 23, 2013

I love this school. Best school I have ever been to. Teachers are always trying to help. My family travels from Port Charlotte to take me to the school. We Love Imagine Charter School.

Posted July 29, 2013

I'd prefer not to say when I attended Imagine but it was a terrible experience for me! I was bullied constantly and I complained NUMEROUS times to the principal and guidance, but did anything happen? No, I was stuck in a hallway and was not able to leave till me and one of my tormentors made up! Did they get the others that bullied me? NO, in fact they said that I made it all up! The staff doesn't care their students! They only care about what makes them look good! I would give this school zero stars if I could!

Posted February 19, 2013

Imagine School at North Port, now Sarasota Preparatory School, ranked 68% in the state for middle school FCAT scores. In January of last year, the Florida Dept. of Education reported Imagine School North Port ranked highest for combined elementary/middle schools. They are unique in that they are a combined school. They have earned an A rating for the past 3 years. And children's behavior is a reflection of their parents, not the school. The school only has to deal with them! Until this country makes it a priority to put metal detectors at every school, we have to rely on either psychic powers or a responsible student reporting hidden weapons. My children have a reasonable amount of homework almost daily. I dropped my children off at the elementary school and middle school this morning and there wasn't a single police officer in sight. No media circus - just a regular drop off, like any other day. And as far as the board - that is how boards work. They did their due diligence and made the best decision for our school.

Posted August 19, 2012

My daughter is a 4th grader and she would be a 3rd grader again this year if she was in any other school. The principal of this school knew she had a reading problem right after 3rd started so she went to a reading camp after school he set up for kids like her so they would have a better chance to passing that awful FCAT in the 3rd grade. She got better and better and was able to go to the 4th grade. I love this school we were the first Kindergarden class this school and we will be there until 12th grade.

Posted December 26, 2011

I used to. Go to this school for 4th and 5th grade since the day it opened . I really miss my friends because for 6th grade I went to palmer ranch, which sucked by the way. I'm in 7th now. when I WAS there the school was great. The playground was huge, I got used to three teachers, qnd the old janitor was nice. My writing teacher, who is now the middle school pe teacher, Mr. Alvarez, really helped me become more of an outgoing person . I have no idea.what the middle schools like. Anyway , if I could go back here ( even though I live in georgia, moving to TN,) I totally would.

Posted December 4, 2011

I've been dealing with schools for the last 16 years. Between my 4 kids, we've run the gamut of schools. Public, private, homeschool & now our adventure at a charter school for my youngest two kids. I honestly can say that I'm about as happy as I have ever been with state funded education. My 3rd grader isn't pounding homework every night. He is learning independent learning skills. He is guided with his academics and not force fed standardized testing information. The style of teaching here is not like any public education we've experienced. He comes home everyday with new knowledge and shares that with us. I don't think this school would be for every family as its way of teaching is very different from traditional public schools. If you can't step outside the box academically, in a world where our public education is failing daily, this isn't the school for the parents. The staff seems to really care about the individual student, their emotional growth and their academic well being. My son isn't "stuck" relearning the same thing week after week, but is allowed to move on and learn at his own pace.

Posted June 16, 2011

We love this school. the teachers were extremely professional and the communication is beyond wonderful and way more than i had ever expected it to be. The school does not focus all efforts on FCAT stuff during the school day like most schools in FL. They teach our children during the school day what they need to learn and then if the child needs extra help they get it after school with free tutoring from a great staff of teachers!! I am so amazed at everything we have seen so far at Imagine North Port. they are ranked one of the best schools in our county and I am not surprised. We sent our kids to private school sthat we paid thousands of dollars every year to send them too and after 4 byears we realized taht our kids were not learning anything. They were honor studenst at the private school and we are not even sure why. When they started at Imagine they were tested and my daughter has trouble in reading and when at the private school she was told she was a genious. She is now getting the help she needs and is doing much better. we are so happy that we took the kids otu of the private school and into Imagine. Our kids are catching up and having a great time as well. A+++

Posted May 21, 2011

My daughters grades in math were not doing so well. She was offered (not mandatory) an after school camp run by teachers, one day a week for free! Math teachers took extra time with all those in her grade level that needed more help. Her grades improved the next quarter and she began understanding the concepts she was struggling with. Thanks Imagine for the extra effort you put into my child. We couldn't be happier.

Posted May 20, 2011

At first I thought this was the best school for my child. I've heard the motto "doing what's best for kids" thrown around and really thought, yes they do what is best for kids. Slowly I realized that from most teachers it is "do what's best to make myself look good".

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

103 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

101 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

103 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

52 students were tested at this school in 2014.

n/a

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

116 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

n/a
Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1000 Innovation Avenue