North Port High School

Public | PK, 9-12 | 2269 students

Posted Sunday, October 26, 2014

Most caring staff and students I have ever worked with. The staff and students are down to earth and respectful of all types of students from all backgrounds.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 1, 2013

I'm a Senior at North Port about to graduate and I have attended at North Port High all four years. I will start out with it's not a perfect school not even close but it's improving. Over the last three years I've been there (not including my senior year since I'm still attending) there has been a decline in fights but a lot, almost no fights during the school year ever. The food they serve at the school isn't the best, there isn't a lot of field trips (close to none), and our school isn't the best at sports but we are improving. We went from being a B school to an A school. The school staff does there job. But don't get me wrong I would like to see some more improvements such as being able to right click on the computer, more field trips for students, having bathrooms unlocked in the mornings & upstairs, more hand dryers in bathrooms, a larger variety of books to read in the library and more clubs. It's not the best school but it's pretty good. So in other words it's great but it sucks.

Posted September 22, 2013

I have been at this school for a month now. I transferred here from out of state, & I'm a sophomore. None of my classmates have made any type of effort to talk to me, I talk to people and they literally won't respond. They're so cliquish, and do not accept outsiders. I've been sitting in the bathroom for lunch, because I was so humiliated to go back in there. The last lunch table I sat at I was completely ignored when I spoke and all they did was stare and make faces at me. I do not recommend going here. It's completely miserable not having friends and being so far away from home.

Posted January 4, 2013

I am in ninth grade at NPHS and I love it here. The numbers given to the buildings was confusing on the first day, but you get the hang of it fast. The teachers are great. I am enrolled in two honor classes, an AP class, and biology. The teachers make the material easy to understand, but make things challenging for students. I an also on the varsity soccer team. The team is awesome! We have a hour of "study hall" before practice, so we have a high GPA. There are many different clubs to join.

Posted July 3, 2012

Students with IEP's are set up to fail. This school only focuses on kids who do well. I dont feel my child is getting the proper education that she needs. So glad my child is not going here this year. Kids are mean, always fights at school, no discipline. Guidance and staff are not there for kids. If you want your child to succeed this isnt the school for them.

Posted June 26, 2012

I am going to keep it brief. The guidance is poor to be frank. They will write one thing in the student handbook but once you try to apply the clause in the handbook they shoot it down saying we don't adhere to that. There aren't enough AP classes. And for the AP calculus they require you to take 2 technically 4 COLLEGE math classes before you can take AP calculus. 99% of schools just have it where all you need it pre calculus. So no wonder 2-3 people PER YEAR take AP calculus at this school. This school has terrible lunches but that is easily fixed with packing lunch. Just a forewarning there are a lot of people here who let's say are high on something other than life. Overall I give it a 3 because the guidance just isn't up to par whatsoever.

Posted June 11, 2012

I don't like this school . Their guidance and staff don't help at all if you have an issue with a teacher or class, they have NO money whatsoever, some teachers stay after school to help but MOST don't at all. The students are rude and not disciplined, there is at least 2 fights a month, the lunch is unhealthy and most the time disgusting. Sports like track (you don't have to listen to that) are mixed and not in order, i'm sure other sports are just as mixed as track, the library is small with few books, security stinks, i had decent grades and I think i should have gotten A's and B's all year but that's whatever, Overall this school is a rate of 2 out of 5, and i'm glad i'm not going here next year for sophmore year.

Posted November 15, 2010

I have been a teacher at North Port High since the opening in August 2001. Currently, I have a daughter who attends NPHS. Therefore I am fairly qualified to review this school. I am proud to work at this school, which has consistently improved in many areas, each year. The advanced placement courses and dual enrollment have grown tremendously in course offerings and passing rates. The staff is the most caring and dedicated staff I have ever worked with. The visual arts programs is top notch! The culinary program is out of this world.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 1, 2010

This is a school on the rise! The community has been a little slow to get on boad but people are beginning to realize the importance of a good school. I'm very excited about the future of this school and this town!

Posted August 1, 2010

I have a current junior and a graduate from this school. My grad is on FULL scholarship at FSU, due to academics! My junior is on the same track. The instrumental (band) program is the shining star of this school! Mr. Bradley and Mr. Cole make the kids WORK and it gets results - Alliance D&B Corps is 6th in the state! Principal is very hands-on and involved in the school activities all the time. Great programs for advanced students, though they need more AP offerings, they fall way short of other top-ranking high schools.

Posted February 16, 2010

I am a current Junior at NPHS. I just moved here from small town Key West, and upon seeing NPHS, I expected it to be an extremely advanced school. I was dissappointed when I got here. North Port has a large student population and low school funds, which means that there are simply not enough supplies to go around. I was appauled at the fact that this school is recognized for its 'OUTSTANDING' performing arts center when kids have to share music and sing 3rd grade songs. There are constantly fights pretty much every other day, and the administrators treat the students like they are in kindergarden instead of treating us with the freedom and maturity of young adults. North Port offers a lot academically, but personally for me, the lack of freedom and the shortage of school supplies (books etc) overshadows my want for a better education.

Posted November 10, 2009

Anyone who has a child contemplating attending a good college should 'escape' from this school!!! The guidance department does not care, the good teachers are being burned-out by the non-disciplined students, and the course offerings are minimal compared with other schools!!!

Posted August 9, 2009

NPHS is great. They worked hard with my son on his reading and math skills and the teachers were akways easy to reach. There were enough extra curricular activities including free FCAT prep classes. The principal and his assistant principals are very approachable and and anxious to work with parents. I just wish the grounds were cleaner.

Posted September 19, 2006

North Port High is a great school. The staff really cares about what happens and is really great with the teens. Thanks to North Port High I love it

Posted September 18, 2006

I find North Port High to be dedicated to their students. They come together to keep you updated on your child progress and your child's reactions in class. Their caring nuturing people that stand by their students and their community.

Posted September 26, 2005

We moved specifically to north port for the great school system. I have 2 children in north port high and this state-of-the-art school is highly recognized by colleges.

Posted August 5, 2005

My children have been attending north port high and my daughter has already graduated. She did very well there and I didn't have many problems with her, her school work or anything. My son on the other hand, I have had a lot of problems with there. Some of the teachers are really good about either calling or e-maiing me to let me know about problems, whether he is disturbing the class or not doing his homework. I hope this school improves on the things it needs to work on to be a really great high school for the North Port area.

Posted April 10, 2005

The guidance office is very unorganized, and slow. They rarely have enough time to properly schedual and meet with students to discuss their scheduals. Sports, arts, music, etc. are highly developed and are available to anyone.

Posted June 22, 2004

There isnt very much to complain about for this school. All the classes teach very well, discipline is equaly executed between students and staff, and since it is so new, the campus is wonderful. The only large problem that I see is one thing. They do not have the DECA program. When my daughter transfered here, she was well involved and actually had a scholarship looking her way. Until she came here. I urgently say to parents how wonderful and teaching the DECA program is. I transfered my daughter to another school because of this. That may seem drastic, but anyone that knows about DECA, knows that is a decision worth making.

Posted February 23, 2004

Teacher turnover high. If your student is ESE or has special medical needs this is not the school you should choose. They simply can't handle them.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

562 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

539 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

533 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

578 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

425 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

604 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

555 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

388 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music