Posted September 27, 2014
I have 2 boys who have attended this school since it opened. One is now in 5th and the other in 2ed. The school is still a work in progress with many improvements being done over time with community volenteer labor and donated resources so it's not a super nice super modern facility with only the latest tech for kids to learn on. There is an emphasis on sciences, math and engineering with local professionals working with the teachers to bring technical content to the students. Regardless of the name on the school every kid in elementary and middle school needs to build strong basics in reading, writing, math, history, and acceptable social interaction. My kids are definitely getting this. I can say I have not been happy with the food. It is brought in daily from edgewater elementary and is typical public school fare. We send lunches with our kids most days. The staff has an unapologetic expectation of courtesy and responsibility from students and parents alike. My boys have been through several of the typical school behavioral issues. All have been handled very satisfactorily by the staff in cooperation with my wife and I.

Posted November 23, 2013
My son has been attending Burns Sci-Tech since it opened. The school is STEM-based. Since the school has ONLY been open for 3 years, it is still growing, modifying, and changing. I have found the Administration to be excellent, and have no complaints. The staff (teachers) are over-all very good and dedicated to the children and the school. Do you have those that are not as good as others? OF course! Which is why the school is able to "tweek" where necessary (unlike your county school system). Does this school have everything it needs...NO! The school works diligently to keep improving its computer labs, having access to all forms of technology, and introducing students to all the sciences! It is a work in progress! Regarding curriculum, we all know that the Government has taken that over... still Burns maintains its STEM goal. Parents, teachers,administration, and students are all a family at Burns Sci-Tech. My family is very happy to be a part of this school and family.

Posted September 18, 2013
My daughter started kindergarten at Burns Sci Tech last year and she absolutely loves it!! My husband and I have been so impressed with the schools engineering projects and the way they treat your children like they are part of a family. They truly care about your child's success and have so many amazing hands on learning techniques! My daughter has yoga class three days a week as well as P.E., they do gardening, and have amazing art program. The school has multiple math and science computer programs as well as literacy programs to help your child practice at school and at home! This school is all around perfect for our family and I know you will not be disappointed either!

Posted August 20, 2013
The Burns Sci-Tech Charter School in Oak Hill is among the finest elementary schools in Volusia County, public or private. It is led by Dr. Jan McGee, a principal who leads by example. There are countless parents, grandparents and others in the small community of Oak Hill who take great pride in their little city and the school, like City Hall, is one of the jewels. The school could be more aggressive in soliciting federal education grants, but considering the demands placed on McGee and the dedicated teachers and support staff, the school provides an enriching educational experience. Henry Frederick, publisher, HeadlineSurfer.com

Posted August 20, 2013
I had 3 children that attended this school for 2 yrs the last year they were in 8th grade,1st grader, and Kindergarten. If it wasn't for their Kindergarten teacher they wouldn't have continued going to the school. The teachers I have dealt with were for the most part good teachers. The curriculum at the school is the pits, it is out dated and the left overs from the county public schools. The principal is the biggest problem at the school, I feel all she is there for is to have her name in the lights, not for the kids. If she was there for the kids then Burns would have gotten an "A" grade just like the other charter school from their group in Orange City. I pulled my kids out because I do not want their education to go down the drain like the school is going! Bottom line is this school needs a new principal and better curriculum for the sake of the kids!

Burns Science And Technology Charter School 3

Posted August 19, 2013
This is my son's third year at this school and I am pleased so far. The principle does take action if she is not happy with a situation or a teacher. I'm disgusted by the past comments on here.....the lunches come from volusia county schools and I have seen water fountains....lol....The principle and teachers do care about bullying and behaviors...they take the time out to let you know and also speak with the child...This is a close community here...no major complaints so far.

Posted August 18, 2013
This school is NOT a stem school at all the technology they use here is old, and the laptops have keys missing and have things pulled off of them. Not to mention the kids aren't even aloud to use them. I don't even know how they can call themselves a science and technology school. The laugh age arts teacher was fired last year because she was swearing in front on two children. And they call this school a bully free school, umm no. This school has the WORST bullying it's almost worse than new Symrna middle. And the principal takes no action what so ever my child was threatened that she would be beat up by a boy and absolutely no action was taken. The principal pushes problems aside instead of dealing with them. She has completely ignored the fact that her school is probably the worst school in the county. Everyone and burns sci tech thinks that their school is tip top but honestly I would suggest that if you want your child to have an education then pull them out of that school. The teachers don't teach students right at all.

Burns Science And Technology Charter School 2

Posted August 07, 2013
Alot of smoke and mirrors. Not what it claims to be. They do not follow a STEM ( Science Technology Engineering and Math) curriculum like they advertise. Not only did the just teach to memorize for the FCATs, like all other public schools, they scored horribly on them. The principal has no idea what is going on in the classrooms, nor does she seem to care. In their first year, it was eventualy revealed that one teacher ( who did not return for the next year) had been sleeping during class with her feet on the desk while the kids enjoyed "free time", and actually covered less than half the material that was supposed to have been covered. The principal's responce to this was, that by the time she found out, it was too late to replace her because the kids loved her. (duh!) So she just allowed it to continue. The sad thing is that the whole community had such high hopes for this school based on what told(sold). They are more interested in expansion than doing what they promised, and they are going to ruin the chance of any potentialy successful charter school in Volusia from being approved in the future.

Posted July 13, 2013
I had two of my kids at this school, my son who is in 6th grade, and my daughter who is in 2nd. First off, this school is very poorly run. The upper staff do nothing about any of the problems, and the majority of the time are the ones creating the problem. Now, some of the teachers are great, but others are not good at all. Also, this is NOT in any way a Science and Technology school or STEM school. The computers being used were from 1980 and running windows 98. For middle school, the situation is even worse. For one, they treat the students like toddlers, following their every move and not letting them have basic rights. For example, my two kids road the bus, now my son, already fed up with getting in trouble over nothing, say a second grade boy punching a kindergarden girl not even half his size, so he quickly grabbed him by the collar and repremanded him to back off. Now, this kid has had several problems in the past, but all were disgarded. I guess the kid complained, so the principle flipped out and suspended him for three days. Plus, my son is NOT a problem child, he gets A's and B's in all classes. Also, they have no water fountain, and the lunches are weeks old and inedible

Posted July 06, 2013
I know that my son is getting a better education at this school than he would have gotten at NSB middle. Where the enrollment is normally over 1000 students. He also just finished 7th grade and passed his algebra 1 class with an A. So he will have his high school credit when he enters and next year he will be taking algebra 2. It least at this school if there is a bad teacher they can be let go, unlike Volusia County Schools where the bad teachers get to stay forever and the new teachers that are good get let go!!

Burns Science And Technology Charter School
160 Ridge Road, Oak Hill, FL  32759
Last modified Burns Science And Technology Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burns Science And Technology Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top