1,226 students|Marion

Bad
Good

Posted September 14, 2013
Howard is generally a good school. I am in the magnet program, and it's really a great program. The non-magnet population is not bad. Altogh in just the first four weeks I have witnessed over three fights.

Howard Middle School 5

Posted February 19, 2010
My wife and I are lifetime educators. Our grandson participates in the magnet program at HMS. While we live over a thousand miles away, our former daughter-in-law keeps us well informed of our grandson's progress. While in Florida after Christmas, we had an opportunity to review our grandson's learning material and observe his study habits. We were impressed with the responsibility he took for completing his assignments. We were given the opportunity to pick up our grandson after school one afternoon. We were impressed with the organization for safety and traffic control during the time students were being released for pick up. The supervisors were caring and careful to see that each child made it safely to the proper vehicle. From a distance we see teachers and parents sharing the responsibilty for a child's learning. This is something for which all parties can take pride. Thanks to all staff members!

Posted September 15, 2009
HMS is the only middle school in Marion Cty. that has the AAIT program(Magnet) both of my kids attend and the teachers and staff are the BEST you can find for keeping smart kids motivated and happy to learn.

Posted June 18, 2009
This was my son's first year in middle school. He is very enthusiastic about learning by nature, but even more inspired by his teachers. Joining the band has given him great confidence and now he is learning new instruments and looks forward to extracurricular activities.

Howard Middle School 5

Posted December 31, 2008
My daughter is a 6th grader in the magnet program and loves it. The teachers seem to have high expectations and a great deal of enthusiasm for their subject. We are very happy here.

Posted July 16, 2008
My daughter is in the Magnet program at HMS and she just loves it. The middle school teachers are well qualified and caring to teach in this superior quality school. You must have excellent grades to be accepted (no lower than a B) and must maintain them. HMS is a great school and prepares students for future academic success. Ms. Collins is an excellent principal from all perspectives.

Posted June 17, 2008
At Howard it has been the worst 3 years of school for my child. There is no help from teachers here. I have gone to every parent teacher confrence(where some teachers don't even bother to show), every open house, all functions that my child was involved in. Still there is no help. my child went into middle school with b's and c's and came out with F's by the 8th grade. My younger child will not attend this school. I will transport her else where.

Posted May 11, 2006
This school has helped my son feel better about hisself. That is what matters to me, He was very depressed because of alot of different but the careing staff has help greatly

Howard Middle School 2

Posted May 02, 2006
A very diverse school, with a challenging curriculum emphasizing mathematics and science. An 8th grade student can leave HMS with 3 high school credits-in Algebra I, Geometry, and Language Arts. The band rates superior and the art perennially places in local art shows. The parents are heavily involved sometimes almost too involved!

1655 Northwest 10th Street, Ocala, FL  34475
Last modified Howard Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.