Ward-Highlands Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 757 students

Posted August 15, 2013

I couldn't disagree more with the people that say it's all about the "A" rating/students! My daughter just finished 5th grade there and my son is starting 1st, they love the school and so do I! Every student matters there (my kids are the "B" to "C" "Average" students). They staff is great, teachers communicate well, field trips are educational, just an amazing school! Perhaps the half A*$ parents are the ones that have issues with this school.

Posted June 5, 2013

I felt the need to say a few more words. I have had the pleasure of meeting my daughters art teacher Mrs. Allie Wright and she has been such a great art teacher ever. She is so full of energy at all times morning noon or afternoon. My daughter is always talking about how much fun Mrs. Wright is. It has come to the end of the year tomorrow being the last day and I have to say I never had my daughter talk about how much fun art class was and how she is sad that she wont have the same art teacher next year. Mr. Wright is just simply awsome and I thank her for keeping my daughter so interested in your class. Thanks for always having a smile on your face and bringing my daughter to the car at the car line almost everyday. Its refreshing to see such a pleasant face and attitude everyday.

Posted December 31, 2012

Hello, im a past student from Ward-Highlands, and i must say that this is one of the best schools you can put your child in. I went there from kindergarten to 5th grade, and the school helped me so much with my knowledge of today. i still keep in touch with this school and my past teachers, and the new pricipal is one that actually cares what happens in this school. Im not saying its perfect, there is of course, a teacher or two that you may not agree with, but the is expected in every school. In 3rd grade i struggled greatly in math. and soon after my teacher left for the rest of the year because of family issues. i felt like i missed a year of learning but my old 2nd grade teacher helped me and in fourth grade i was an all A student. They actually care whats going on and you can make connections with them. The whole time while i was there i also did not hear a single curse word ever mentioned on the campus. If your child ever falls behind, just know that there are teachers in that school willing to help them up. i honestly think this is the best education choice for your children. Thank you for hearing my part.

Posted August 11, 2010

While the new principal (thank goodness) is making strides, I still find this school to be focused on the "model A grade student". If you're child is average, earning C's, B's and an A or two, they are not made to feel successful. There is such a focus on "A's" and perfection that it takes away from the personal gains that individual children make. I would like to see some improvement in this area, as well, with exception to 1 female PE teacher who is great, the others and cafeteria staff are horrible. I witnessed "screaming" at children by PE staff as children came into the cafeteria. The prison comment in another post has some familiarity to it. Lighten up and put some fun back into elementary education and since when is "average" something to feel bad about? Bill Gates was an "average" student!!

Posted February 17, 2009

Ward Highlands is a child based school. They think about the children first. I would refer any child here.

Posted April 28, 2008

we have 2 kids in this school for the 2nd year. 1 has child has ADHD with a 504 plan and the other is being tested for gifted. I have never encountered such politics, rudness and indifference to the children as I have in this school from the principal, to the guidance counselors and certain teachers. The more you advocate for your children the more the administration dislikes you. Overall the admin. is very condesening to the parents, and the school is run like a prison not an elementary school. I am hoping to get my children into a charter school next year where the true concern is the children and not the 'A' or 'B' rating of the school!! It is very apparent that the rating is more important to this school than the children. We think this school stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted February 27, 2008

I have found this school to be the best ones my child has attended in Marion County. The principal and staff have always been so polite and helpful to me and my child.

Posted February 2, 2008

my child has been attending ward highland elem. for about two years now, i really like the fourth grade teachers. the principle, she gets on my nerve now and again. one minute she's nice and the next she's mean. she talk down to the parents sometimes and i don't like that. i hope one day she would realize how she put people down.

Posted September 29, 2007

My son attended 2-5th grade here and now my daughter is on her 2nd year at Ward Highland. This school has to be the most family friendly school I know of. They have activites for the families all through out the year that they can attend in the evenings and the teachers are great! I know exactly what they are learning and how they are doing all the time. Thanks Ward Highland Staff for all that you do!

Posted March 23, 2006

My child has attended Ward Highlands for the past two years. He has shown enormous improvement since he began attendance there. His teachers have been dedicated workers. I have been very impressed with the level of parent-teacher communication. Additionally, the pricnipal is not an esoteic figure. He can be seen moving around the campus, chatting with kids, teachers, and parents at various times during the day.

Posted March 10, 2006

This is a good school. Teachers are very accessible and easy to talk to. There is no recess after lunch, but the students have gym 3 times a week outdoors (There is no gym). They are remodeling the entire campus one building at a time, so there is no playground at this time to allow for construction. Our experience has been a good one.

Posted August 23, 2005

Exellent school. Out of all the schools my child attended this has been the best. their staff is understanding and very supportive and i loved the way they communicated with me about my childs progress

Posted April 27, 2005

this is a great school. I love the after school activities, and that students have recess.

Posted December 31, 2004

this is a wonderful school. Parent involvement is at an all time high. I really belive this school had one of the best range of education I have seen thus far. My family moves about 1 time every Two Years. With all of our travel this rates #1 with our family.

Posted December 9, 2004

This school is really great all around. I have 3 kids in this school and they all are doing great. Plus I volunteer 3 days a week in each of their classes. And we also practice on weekends on their math and reading, so this school has helped me as a mother to bond with my children. And they too let me know that I'm a great mom and the school is not just a school they are part of my family. Thank You Wardhighlands Elem.

Posted June 22, 2004

Ward Highlands is a wonderful school with many outstanding teachers and a great staff. My two children absolutely love this school, and can't wait to go to school everyday. The only drawback that I see is that our children are pushed hard for outstanding performance in FCAT scores and are not rewarded enough for the wonderful work that they do every year. It seems because lack of funds that some programs have been stopped while children that lack in an area are pulled from specials (art, music and P.E.), so that they can improve on test scores. I just don't see what the children gain by this except an 'A' rating for thier school. Which I guess is something for them to be proud of. After all if it weren't for our wonderful children and the outstanding teachers at WHE we wouldn't be the school that we are.

Posted April 15, 2004

I feel this school is progressing well. There is alot of growth in many areas of education with students and teachers.

Posted February 25, 2004

Little effort is given to adjust kids starting in anything other than kindergarten. If you don't start at the beginning here you can easily find yourself with half of a year passed and still trying to get info that should've been given in registration and/or orientation. Teachers are excellent but bound and held back. Administrators are very questionable at best. You better come with wallet in hand because there will be a fundraiser approx every two weeks that will leave your child high and dry if not participating. Where is the money going? In the 3rd semester and still can't get a direct answer/proof of it. 'A' rated school but you will soon find out that it is just #'s on paper being manipulated through the system's numerous flaws. Care about your kids? Wait to move to Fla. after they graduate! (Yes, I am a Fl. native!) You will also find that any/all of the staff do not have the same set/standard of rules as the children. What ever happened to lead by example?

Posted January 30, 2004

We moved from a very good school and I had some mild concerns about how Ward Highlands would compare...was pleasantly surprised, as this school is just as blessed with parent involvement, and if anything, the staff may be even more 'on fire' about giving the students a shot at a great education. I'm glad my son is attending this 'A+' school.

Posted January 8, 2004

We just recently moved here from Brandon, Florida and I was really uncertain about the Marion County School System as well as my child's adjustment to the new teachers and students. However, my son has done very well and I am very pleased with the care put forth from Ward Highlands Elementary, the teachers seem to be very concerned and energetic about my son's well being and education.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

126 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

125 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

123 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

121 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

126 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

124 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

127 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

130 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MS. MELISSA KINARD
Fax number
  • (352) 671-6813

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

537 Southeast 36th Avenue