812 students|Marion

Bad
Good

My child is special needs and the teacher he had at this school was terrible. She was very unprofessional, disclosed private information, and talked down about my child, admitted to yelling in the student's faces, and didn't seem to understand that special needs children have delays. We have changed schools and things couldn't be better now.

I couldn't disagree more with the people that say it's all about the "A" rating/students! My daughter just finished 5th grade there and my son is starting 1st, they love the school and so do I! Every student matters there (my kids are the "B" to "C" "Average" students). They staff is great, teachers communicate well, field trips are educational, just an amazing school! Perhaps the half A*$ parents are the ones that have issues with this school.

I felt the need to say a few more words. I have had the pleasure of meeting my daughters art teacher Mrs. Allie Wright and she has been such a great art teacher ever. She is so full of energy at all times morning noon or afternoon. My daughter is always talking about how much fun Mrs. Wright is. It has come to the end of the year tomorrow being the last day and I have to say I never had my daughter talk about how much fun art class was and how she is sad that she wont have the same art teacher next year. Mr. Wright is just simply awsome and I thank her for keeping my daughter so interested in your class. Thanks for always having a smile on your face and bringing my daughter to the car at the car line almost everyday. Its refreshing to see such a pleasant face and attitude everyday.

Hello, im a past student from Ward-Highlands, and i must say that this is one of the best schools you can put your child in. I went there from kindergarten to 5th grade, and the school helped me so much with my knowledge of today. i still keep in touch with this school and my past teachers, and the new pricipal is one that actually cares what happens in this school. Im not saying its perfect, there is of course, a teacher or two that you may not agree with, but the is expected in every school. In 3rd grade i struggled greatly in math. and soon after my teacher left for the rest of the year because of family issues. i felt like i missed a year of learning but my old 2nd grade teacher helped me and in fourth grade i was an all A student. They actually care whats going on and you can make connections with them. The whole time while i was there i also did not hear a single curse word ever mentioned on the campus. If your child ever falls behind, just know that there are teachers in that school willing to help them up. i honestly think this is the best education choice for your children. Thank you for hearing my part.

While the new principal (thank goodness) is making strides, I still find this school to be focused on the "model A grade student". If you're child is average, earning C's, B's and an A or two, they are not made to feel successful. There is such a focus on "A's" and perfection that it takes away from the personal gains that individual children make. I would like to see some improvement in this area, as well, with exception to 1 female PE teacher who is great, the others and cafeteria staff are horrible. I witnessed "screaming" at children by PE staff as children came into the cafeteria. The prison comment in another post has some familiarity to it. Lighten up and put some fun back into elementary education and since when is "average" something to feel bad about? Bill Gates was an "average" student!!

Ward Highlands is a child based school. They think about the children first. I would refer any child here.

we have 2 kids in this school for the 2nd year. 1 has child has ADHD with a 504 plan and the other is being tested for gifted. I have never encountered such politics, rudness and indifference to the children as I have in this school from the principal, to the guidance counselors and certain teachers. The more you advocate for your children the more the administration dislikes you. Overall the admin. is very condesening to the parents, and the school is run like a prison not an elementary school. I am hoping to get my children into a charter school next year where the true concern is the children and not the 'A' or 'B' rating of the school!! It is very apparent that the rating is more important to this school than the children. We think this school stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found this school to be the best ones my child has attended in Marion County. The principal and staff have always been so polite and helpful to me and my child.

my child has been attending ward highland elem. for about two years now, i really like the fourth grade teachers. the principle, she gets on my nerve now and again. one minute she's nice and the next she's mean. she talk down to the parents sometimes and i don't like that. i hope one day she would realize how she put people down.

My son attended 2-5th grade here and now my daughter is on her 2nd year at Ward Highland. This school has to be the most family friendly school I know of. They have activites for the families all through out the year that they can attend in the evenings and the teachers are great! I know exactly what they are learning and how they are doing all the time. Thanks Ward Highland Staff for all that you do!

Last modified Ward-Highlands Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.