2,610 students|Marion

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are very effective and care how students feel and perform. Teachers make it personal for the students.

Develops character: Strongly agree

West Port High school is extremely diverse. All students and staff are accepted and treated fairly. The staff and teachers lead by example and students also lead by example treating others fairly.

The teachers at West Port are awesome and care a lot about their students. All students are given the opportunity to push themselves to do their best at all times.

This school is overcrowded and average at best. Every tear, after the first nine weeks, every student in the school has a schedule change because the fail to hire enough teachers over the summer. The Principal created this nightmare of a concept called Power Hour, where the students basically have an hour in the middle of the day to socialize. She is not open to any ideas that are not her own and is poor at decision making. The Assistant Principal for Curriculum is fabulous. She really listens, is solution driven, cares about students and is the workhorse of the school. Other than that, I can't wait till my son graduates from the chaotic circus of this school.

They offer so much... you need to take advantage of it though. They don't make you do it. Power Hour is a great idea. (again, if you take advantage of the time.) Go West Port Band!!! State is calling you. 2014 Marching Band is great, this year.

Amazing school with teachers who really want you to succeed and our principal is nominated for the best principal in the nation, she is a top 3 finalist as of now, West Port High School is a model school for the country as many principales from around the nation have toured the school to see how Mrs. Ellspermen runs her school of at least 2700 kids

I attend West Port and in this coming school year I will be a sophomore. This school is just absolutely amazing and I wouldn't go to any other high school. When I was a freshman, I very much enjoyed Power Hour because I could go to my teachers for help or finish up an assignment. This school is one of the best and I suggest if you send your children there then you won't regret it.

We have been a part of West Port High School for a total of six years with our two children. We can not say enough about the exemplary leadership, tremendous support, dedication and constant encouragement of the principal, teachers and staff at West Port High School. They are all about helping each and every student succeed. This is the only school in the district that has received an "A" rating for three straight years. A few advantages this school has is a lunch "Power Hour", which allows students time to visit with various teachers for extra help with schoolwork/ homework if needed. The early college program with College of Central Florida is awesome! Most of the college courses are taught right at West Port, which allowed our children to graduate with their Associates in Arts degrees before graduating high school! West Port is a magnet school for the Arts, all excellent and award winning programs. More than half of the last graduating class graduated with honors. That says a lot about how dedicated the staff at West Port High School is to helping students succeed. We highly recommend West Port High School and are proud to have been a part of this great school.

As an educator (not at this school) I can definitely say that this Marion County high school has made great strides in the last 5-6 years with tremendous improvement. This is totally due to the dedication of the principal who is an excellent leader, the supportive staff, and the amazing teachers. Because of the various improvements in curriculum offerings I transferred my child to West Port . With the encouragement and support from teachers and staff, she made friends and joined various groups (from arts to academics). This allowed her to meet students and learn from students from very different walks of life. She absolutely thrived there where failure was not an option. I saw student participation at athletic events, art, dance, and theatre events, and other school functions. The success of Power hour is definitely the talk of Marion county! I have worked in education for 30 years in middle schools, high schools, and universities. I know that it takes the support of the staff, teachers, and students to make Power Hour work. After my child graduated I continued to serve on the SAC committee because I see the difference this school is making in a lot of children's lives!

As a student at West Port High School I believe West Port is the best high school in the state of Florida. West Port High provides student with multiple programs like MCCA and the Early College Program. The teachers, administration, and staff at West Port are always there for the students. Being at West Port does not just feel like going to school, it feels like being apart of a great big loving family. No student is left behind! Being a student at West Port is such a privilege and I can say I am proud to say I am apart of West Port High School!! GOOOOOOO WOLFPACK!!!!!!!!

Last modified West Port High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.