South Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 460 students

Posted August 20, 2012

My child has attended South for one year and began her second year today. We adore the staff and faculty. Mr. Radebaugh, the principal, gives an energetic upbeat feel to the campus. South's main office and tasks are well organized and the campus is always clean and maintained. The teachers we've had the opportunity to know are so positive and encouraging. When I'm volunteering at South, I'm impressed with the many employees who make it a point to say thank you and hello, remembering my name and my child's. The reason I regretfully give this school 4 stars is because they do NOT have an art program. My child was in kindergarten last year and never brought home a painting, but did bring home a couple paper plate crafts. I really hope they will implement an art class. Students repeat a "specials" class each week, due to there only being 4 "specials".... South, please make a 5th special for the week and let it be ART! Art can teach children that in complex forms of problem solving, purposes are seldom fixed, but change with circumstance and opportunity. Artistic learning requires the ability and a willingness to surrender to the unanticipated possibilities of their work as it unfolds.

Posted April 30, 2008

my son is in second grade at south, the staff here is as good as it gets. I rate south with 5 stars.

Posted June 30, 2007

My son just finished up at south, he's now heading to middle school. He finished out the year with a final report card of 4 A's and one B. He finished at the top of his class in the FCAT scores for this past year. It's hand's down the best elementary in okeechobee. It's not just up to the teacher's to help your child learn, you have to take the time with your children, to help them where they struggle, to encourage them when it's tough. There are some thing's I didn't agree with at the school, but overall I'm proud that my kid was an Eagle!

Posted August 26, 2005

My daughter was a student at South and I was extremly happy with it. There music program is outstanding- the student/teacher ratio is good. Parents seem to be very involved in pto. I was very happy with the education she received there.

Posted August 19, 2005

I find this school to be execellent in most areas. I fell the administration really care about the students. The teachers have all been great with the kids and there is always a positive atmosphere in the classrooms. I am a sub and after being at other schools in the area, find this to be the best school in the county.

Posted December 19, 2004

Overall, this school is making A ratings per state guidlines. In my personal experience, I find the teachers to lack skills when communicating with parents. I say this from my own experience and observing the experience of other parents. Teachers seem to carry with them an air of superiority which put me quite off guard. I was raised in Okeechobee and my children have attended other public schools out of state. I thought the adjustment would be easy for them when we moved back to Okeechobee. I remembered the friendliness of the various schools I attended here and thought the same of Okeechobee, in general. Well, I haven't found that same friendliness at South. I have been patient but intend to pull my child out of this school next year. Additionally~ my experience with the principal: Ms. Lundy was negative. She initially gave a better impression but time has shown otheerwise.

Posted May 13, 2004

My children will be attending South Elementary for the first time in the Fall of 2004. From what I have researched on this school, it is the best in this area. And I am very much looking forward to the new school year to come.

Posted October 10, 2003

Even though we are not through our 1st 9 weeks of school, I am very proud of the school that my daughter attends. It is very hard to send a child off for the first time to kindergarten, South Elementary staff made it easier for our family. I also have a 2 yr. old that will attend this 'A' school.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

76 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MR. MIKE RADEBAUGH
Fax number
  • (863) 462-5094

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now